PDA

View Full Version : Let's meet up!(Calgary)

BlackedoutBimme
04-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Ok fellas, or ladies for that matter. I would like nothing more then to meet up with some local Calgary and area BMW enthusiasts. I just acquired my first '06 e90(had a 95 325i about a year and could get BMW out of my head haha). Anyway I see a whole lot of bimmers around town and wouldn't mind getting to know some you other car nuts. I know this is kind of short notice but I would like to set up a meeting this Sunday, april 29. Pleas reply to this post if you'd like join. All we need now is a time and place. Hope to see you all soon

jkmeisl
04-28-2012, 05:05 PM
I would love to but my 328 isnt moving right now haha

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Bimmer App

BlackedoutBimme
04-28-2012, 05:43 PM
:cry: How come?
my ride might actually not be moving for a while either. My fenders are chewing up my tires something fierce.
Which brings me to my next point. Does anyone want to trade me their 19's or 18's for my 20 inch rims? tire tread is next to new. The front are starting to get chewed up a bit but definitely still drivable

jkmeisl
04-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Holy hell! Ya i could see how they would get chewed up haha. I only have 16" on my 328

jkmeisl
04-28-2012, 05:48 PM
My car

BlackedoutBimme
04-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Oh boy. What happened? want to trade rims lol?

jkmeisl
04-29-2012, 09:59 AM
I like my 16's. Thanks though if they 18's i would but 20' is to big haha. Nice rims though i like the spokes. Hows the e46 compair to the e36 never drove one before

jkmeisl
04-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Sorry not e46. E90 my bad

BlackedoutBimme
04-29-2012, 11:05 AM
My e 36 Was super fun. it was manual too, so that added to the fun factor. And the fact that it wasn't financed made it easier to take chances.
On the other hand my E90 is the smoothest, most "solid" car i've ever been in.
From here on out I'm a dedicated Bimmer owner. I ended up selling that e36 and kicked myself in the ass for the next year and a bit as i went through some other cars. But nothing compared to that BMW feel.
All i'm going to drive from now on is BMW

jkmeisl
04-30-2012, 01:39 PM
I just back into a beamer and i forgot how amazing they are. I had an auto e36 325 when i was younger and the tranny slipped from 2-3 so i kinda gave me a bad first experiance so i havent owned one in about 7 years but ill always remember how that car handled itself though the turns. Like a champ. Im looking forward to putting this 328 to the test. But i got lots of work to do yet. I started a threat called "e36 328 restoration project" make sure to follow and when im done we'll set up a meet

BlackedoutBimme
04-30-2012, 02:37 PM
link please.......

jkmeisl
04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618020

DEATH2000
05-03-2012, 04:27 AM
Glad to see more Calgary guys on here!! Jkmeisl, what are you planning on doing to your car? Paint matching it is obvious, but what other plans do you have?

jkmeisl
05-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Well mechanicly the car seems sound, so thats takeing a back seat right now till the body work is done and the interior is cleaned up but. I do want to buy a spare engine and transmission and pick away at rebuilding it to handle some boost
:) but its all on a budget right now so we will see.

DEATH2000
05-03-2012, 05:47 AM
The M52 is perfectly capable of handling boost on stock internals. The worlds fastest 328i is still using the stock internals and block and runs 11.1-3 in the 1/4. They are super robust. Mine has 262,000 km on it

I feel ya on the body work. Mine is in need of some TLC. Rock chips on the hood have turned into rust from the winter roads.

jkmeisl
05-03-2012, 09:47 AM
I hate rock chips!!! They are the bane of my exsistance! But i do have a very fast and great way of fixing them. Ill make a video the next time i do it and link it to you.

As far as the m52 is concerned i know it can handle boost on stock internals i read all about it but i want to have the fun of ripping one apart and putting it all back together with some upgrades like cams... Mmmm cams. I havent looked but can you get forged pistons and rods for the m52?

BlackedoutBimme
05-03-2012, 05:32 PM
I have some rock chips on my hood. It would be nice to know how to remove them.

On a different note, my rims are coming off tomorrow. Anyone interested in buying them???

jkmeisl
05-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Ok ill try and explain it as best i can its reeeeally easy.

Here is what you need.
Color match paint in a bottle,(no spray cans it has be a touch up pen or bulk match paint) also it much be water born paint this will not work with anything but water base.

99% alcohol better known as isopropal alcohol. It must be 99%!!! rubbing alcohol doesnt work as well.

A softish rubber block roughly 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.

Paper towel.

Ok so all your going to do it put a skim of paint along a straight edge of the rubber block and drag it across the rock chip. The paint will flow into the chip and fill it and it will become even with the rest of the paint after a few passes.

Make sure to clean the chip with the alcohol and paper towel first so it wont rust from the inside out :(

Wait about 5 or so minutes after each coat then cover the block with paper towel and spray the alcohol all over it then lightly rub away any excess paint that is left behind.
Do this after each coat.

I have a few pics of one repair i did here are the before and after
Before
After.

This is super easy and it a waaaaay better end result compaired to the chip repair pens and brushes as these will lean big ugly gobs of paint over the chip. This way its flush with the rest of the paint. And much harder to notice.

So thats the long as the short of it. Feel free to pm me if you need a further explaination.
Thanks!

BlackedoutBimme
05-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Wow. The before and after is like day and night.
I'm going to give it a shot one of these days

DEATH2000
05-04-2012, 01:13 AM
I hate rock chips!!! They are the bane of my exsistance! But i do have a very fast and great way of fixing them. Ill make a video the next time i do it and link it to you.

As far as the m52 is concerned i know it can handle boost on stock internals i read all about it but i want to have the fun of ripping one apart and putting it all back together with some upgrades like cams... Mmmm cams. I havent looked but can you get forged pistons and rods for the m52?
Mine has progressed past rock chips to full hood repaint. The city upted the salt content in the winter so that doesnt help.

You can get a stroker kit to give it 3.1L I believe, but it would be cheaper to try to source an S52. Stroker kits are better for V8's, and not so much BMWs. The S52 cams are a nice upgrade for the M52, and can usually be found for around $500 or so. I plan on trying to source a set after the M50 manifold swap. I got the manifold sitting in my garage right now waiting to go on.

Personally i want to get a supercharger. They bolt on and require less parts and are easier to maintain. The best feature is you get to maintain your driveability. Rush hour with a turbo? Heck no.

I went for a ride in an Active Autowerks supercharged E36 M3 recently and it was amazingly fast. I was blown away. He said at our evlevation he runs 13's with 8psi i think, and down in Vancouver he runs 11s.

jkmeisl
05-04-2012, 05:12 AM
Wow thats amazing! 13's! Wow. And i agree supercharge over turbo any day. A buddy of mine has had many turbos and he said it gets annoying after a while and i believe him haha. I would love a blower but im trying not to get ahead of my self and focus on the task at hand... Body work. Plus from what ive seen a blower for a 328 is around 4-5.5 grand. Ouch! thats twice what i paid for the car. Its going to be hard to justify when its already a fun car to drive out of the box. But we will see. Maybe when you get yours, you'll take me for a ride and try to change my mind haha

DEATH2000
05-04-2012, 05:43 AM
I feel ya on the body work. I'm gonna try to do all the prep work myself to help save on costs. I figure prepping it for paint is easy to learn. I've talked to a few guys who have painted their own cars and the number one thing they said they wanted if they had to do it again would be a paint booth. Less Chance of contaminating the paint.

The Active Autowerks kit for the 328i is $4,400 new not including shipping. A used kit can be found for much cheaper. Im not sure I would supercharge it, because I rather supercharge an M3/M5. If I did find a great deal on a kit I would Definitley consider it. The guy with the supercharged M3 brings it to the Project Technik meets so he can give you a ride. I would consider a supercharger over a manual swap because the supercharger can be easily removed and an automatic is easier to sell nowadays.

May 2nd was the 7 year anniversary of the day I got it. I still remember the day I picked it up.

jkmeisl
05-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Ive read a few threads and come to the conclusion that i would super charge the 328 over the m3. Cuz supposidly its the same block but the m3's 3.2 has thinner cylinder walls. With the bigger bore.

Ill be painting the car in a downdraft booth. There is one down the street from my shop ill rent for a weekend. That way its a perfect paint job :)

Is your 328 auto?

DEATH2000
05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I would get an E46 M3 over the E36. Much higher power potential. AA blowers can help make 400+.

Thers a rentable paint booth down in te south? The only one I knew of was at U Wrench up on McKnight.

Ya, mine is an automatic. I wanna do a manual swap when the transmission ****s the bed.

jkmeisl
05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I live in highriver and work in okotoks. I have a few friends in the autobody repair bis. So im hoping they will let me use one of their booths. If not ill just build the one i have bigger so i can fit the car in right now its only 8ft high 8ft wide and 10ft long. Not enough!!

DEATH2000
05-04-2012, 01:28 PM
That's pretty sweet. Hopefully they let you borrow it.

nzlogan
06-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Nice to see a couple of guys are close in Calgary.
I live in Canmore and am currently turning an e21 to rally spec and would love to meet sometime.
Currently replaced suspension with bilstein all the way around, recaro sprints, six point harness's and listening gear. Now onto engine with stahl headers and ansa.
I like your idea of having an engine to build from scratch. Will you buy an extra? Or pull your current. Looking for an m10 to do the same.
Hope your projects are going well!

DEATH2000
06-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Glad to have you here! Have you checked out ProjectTechnik.com yet? There's a few members from Canmore. We just ha out big spring meet between is and M3Post.com.

jkmeisl
06-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Nice to see a couple of guys are close in Calgary.
I live in Canmore and am currently turning an e21 to rally spec and would love to meet sometime.
Currently replaced suspension with bilstein all the way around, recaro sprints, six point harness's and listening gear. Now onto engine with stahl headers and ansa.
I like your idea of having an engine to build from scratch. Will you buy an extra? Or pull your current. Looking for an m10 to do the same.
Hope your projects are going well!

If i do rebuild i will buy a new motor. And only do the swap when everything is perfect

nzlogan
06-09-2012, 08:54 AM
I found an 80 81 82 e21's in pick n pull kelowna. Two weeks and I'm off to bring home a new engine block! New stahl headers and ansa exhaust hopefully on the way from California this week. Does anyone know alot about turbo's? I have a few questions about the management and how to adjust your engine to the compressed air and whether or not it's just too much work and stress on the m10

jkmeisl
06-09-2012, 06:15 PM
I know about turbos... Not anything
about the m10

jkmeisl
06-09-2012, 06:18 PM
If anything if engine is in good running shape and its been mantained it should handle 7-8 psi no problem running water injection is a great way of keeping the turbo cool and if anything a turbo would make it easier on the engine with low boost.

nzlogan
06-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Ok so this may have to bore a couple if readers. But my questions are very basic.( I like the water/methanol injection idea too). How would you build intake into the air from turbo? How does the basic waste gates work are they mechanical in nature? What diameter turbo should be used if your 1 1/2 for exhaust manifold? Does the turbo manifold have to be cast, can you weld and if do what gauge metal?

jkmeisl
06-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Ok so this may have to bore a couple if readers. But my questions are very basic.( I like the water/methanol injection idea too). How would you build intake into the air from turbo? How does the basic waste gates work are they mechanical in nature? What diameter turbo should be used if your 1 1/2 for exhaust manifold? Does the turbo manifold have to be cast, can you weld and if do what gauge metal?

Well as far as the waste gates go i have no idea, how to build a intake tube, or what size of turbo to use thats up to you theres a million ways to build a turbo set up take a look around the web im sure a few people have done it in a few different ways. Im sure you could weld a manifold up ive seen it done on almost all home made turbo setups. But take your time and im sure youll do fine

***CCCP***
05-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Please feel free to join us on facebok www.facebook.com/groups/BMW.alberta/
Upcoming meet May 26 details on this link
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829689&page=3

Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app