PDA

View Full Version : Berchtesgaden to Vicenza

rmorin49
04-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Continuing our European vacation we drove from Berchtesgaden to Vicenza today in our rental Volvo XC 60 diesel. Beautiful sunny day with temps in the 80s. The drive through the Austrian Alps was spectacular. Will spend a week touring northern Italy and then 4 days in Munich before returning to the US on May 9. The first 10 days in Germany were fantastic with great weather, good food and drink. Highlight so far was a clear sunny day on Lake Konigsee.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Bimmer App

b-y
04-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Sounds like a beautiful trip. Keep up the reports.

Can you reliably get AFRN? We had a few problems that I decided were likely caused by the North American spacing on the FM portion of the radio.

rmorin49
04-29-2012, 03:19 AM
I keep scanning stations but have not been able to pick up any AFRN or any English speaking radio stations. As a retiree I am not permitted to use commissary or PX facilities in Germany due to the current SOFA with Germany. However we can use them in Italy so we will be making a run to Caserma Ederle in Vicenza to restock sodas, snacks and toiletries.
The weather so far has been unbelievable with little rain and very warm temps, yesterday was in the mid 80s.
The drive through the Alps was incredible but the 100 kph speed limit for much of the trip was frustrating.
For those reading this thread and planning an ED, try to arrange your trip such that you can drive on Sunday as there are few, if any, trucks on the road.

rmorin49
05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Spent today in Venice. It is Mayday and thus a holiday in most of Europe. Crowds were large but we were able to see and do everything we had in our plan. Access to Venice has been greatly improved since my last visit over 10 years ago. Europe's largest car park, the Tronchetto, is available and then a train takes you into Venice. Parkung is 21 euros for up to 12 hours. A 12 hour pass for unlimited rides on the vaporettos costs 16 euros. Venice is a unique and amazing city but I would avoid it in the summer as it can be ver hot, humid and odiferous.

Off to Verona, Lake Garda and Sirmione tomorrow.