PDA

View Full Version : S-Drive or X-Drive for dry road performance?

bimmerized
05-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm considering the X1 and pondering X-Drive (vs. S-Drive). I don't go to the snow often and would rather enjoy the weight savings and MPG advantage of the S-Drive. Any one know the MPG difference; I calculated 3 MPG from the Euro cars, which is significant.

Will the X-Drive handle any better in dry corners and hook up better off the line?

Also, should I opt for Servotronic, which I understand to mean speed sensitive steering boost, not variable ratio, which I certianly don't want.

brkf
05-03-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm considering the X1 and pondering X-Drive (vs. S-Drive). I don't go to the snow often and would rather enjoy the weight savings and MPG advantage of the S-Drive. Any one know the MPG difference; I calculated 3 MPG from the Euro cars, which is significant.

Will the X-Drive handle any better in dry corners and hook up better off the line?

Also, should I opt for Servotronic, which I understand to mean speed sensitive steering boost, not variable ratio, which I certianly don't want.

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/x1/2013/2013-bmw-x1-details-include-new-packages-epa-estimates.html

X1 sDrive128i = 24/33. X1 xDrive128i = 22/30. Gotta figure the xDrive is going to add more weight and I wouldn't assume it'd be better in the corners.

AzNMpower32
05-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Go search on the 3er and 5er forums for endless debates about rear versus all-wheel drive. Everyone will have their strong opinion.

Personally, I don't want AWD in my next vehicle. Adds weight, changes the driving dynamics (for the worse IMO), and added complexity/repair bills long-term.

3ismagic#
05-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Unless you go skiing in the mountains every weekend I can't imagine why someone in Cal (Nor or So) would want AWD.