PDA

View Full Version : Tires On BMW 335xi By Default

Hemorrhage
05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Hello,

What size tires are supposed to come on the 335xi by default with and without the sports package?
I forget what brought it up...but I was told that I can't rotate my tires because I have wider tires in the back, and skinnier ones in the front.
After checking, I have the same 17" tires all the way around.

My question is...is the 335xi MEANT to have wider tires in the back? Or does it not matter?

Wabbajack
05-08-2012, 12:43 PM
The xi wouldn't have the staggered setup as that is a performance-enhancing feature and with AWD you want/need even distribution to the wheels.

GarySL
05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Unless you order the ZSP with 18" wheels, then the summer rubbers are staggered...

Hemorrhage
05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
The xi wouldn't have the staggered setup as that is a performance-enhancing feature and with AWD you want/need even distribution to the wheels.
That does make sense.

With that being said...
Does this mean the rear wheel well isn't widened?

I ask because...if you have a wide wheel well and skinny tires, it would look a bit stupid.

EDIT:
I also remember what brought up the subject.

The manual says the 335xi sedan with the sports package should have 225/45/17 in the front, and 255/35/17 in the rear. It also has the same readings, but with 18" wheels.
That doesn't matter?

Also...I thought the sports package came with 18" wheels strictly?
I'm wondering why mine have 17's, and why the manual gives an option for 17" wheels with the sports package.

Zooks527
05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
The 335xi coupe came with 2 options in 2009. Both used the same wheel well.

A 17" setup with 225/45-17 all-season tires (which is how I ordered mine), even with the sport package. On an xDrive, the base sport package used A/S tires, added the sport seats, and (like all xDrives) used the xDrive suspension.
An upgraded sport package with an 18" staggered summer tire setup using 225/40-18 in the front and 255/35-18 in the back. xDrive cars ordered with this setup also received the engine oil cooler.

Best regards,
George

Hemorrhage
05-08-2012, 01:20 PM
The 335xi coupe came with 2 options in 2009.

A 17" setup with 225/45-17 all-season tires (which is how I ordered mine), even with the sport package. On an xDrive, the base sport package used A/S tires.

An upgraded sport package with an 18" staggered summer tire setup using 225/40-18 in the front and 255/35-18 in the back. xDrive cars ordered with this setup also received the engine oil cooler.

Best regards,
George

Makes much more sense. I figured the guy I bought the car off of hoarded the 18" tires. I was about to be fired up.
I'm looking to buy new rims and, let me tell you...finding a staggered pair that I like is rough.
I'm thinking about just getting the same size 18" rims/tires all around.

I don't really see the point of going through the trouble and getting wider tires in the back. When I floor it in sport mode, I don't spin tire. The traction is phenomenal.

LetsRock
05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Makes much more sense. I figured the guy I bought the car off of hoarded the 18" tires. I was about to be fired up.
I'm looking to buy new rims and, let me tell you...finding a staggered pair that I like is rough.

I don't really see the point of going through the trouble and getting wider tires in the back. When I floor it in sport mode, I don't spin tire. The traction is phenomenal.

You can put the same tires on all four rims even with a staggered setup. According to the reps at TireRack they will fit just fine. You are only talking about a 1/2 inch difference in the rim.

Orient330iNYC
05-09-2012, 11:08 AM

no issues with that. i'm running 19X8.5 all around with 245/35/19" tires

Speedwagon
05-09-2012, 12:10 PM

I have a staggered setup on my 328XI SW 225/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear.

Hemorrhage
05-09-2012, 12:25 PM
If I were to upgrade from 17" wheels to 18" wheels, would I need to buy new sensors?
Would bigger tires play a role on the computer?

LetsRock
05-10-2012, 11:57 AM
If I were to upgrade from 17" wheels to 18" wheels, would I need to buy new sensors?
Would bigger tires play a role on the computer?

No. The sensors are matched to the car, not the wheels. The installer can pull them from the 17" wheels and put them in the 18" wheels.

fordperf
05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
No. The sensors are matched to the car, not the wheels. The installer can pull them from the 17" wheels and put them in the 18" wheels.

I think he means the sensors for speedo, which shouldn't be an issue since speedometers have not been hooked up to wheels in decades; I believe all speedos nowadays are hooked directly to a constant-velocity place in the transmission?

Hemorrhage
05-11-2012, 01:28 PM
I think he means the sensors for speedo, which shouldn't be an issue since speedometers have not been hooked up to wheels in decades; I believe all speedos nowadays are hooked directly to a constant-velocity place in the transmission?

I was referring to the tire pressure sensors.

I'm no expert by any means...but every speedo I've seen on newer cars is located on the transmission, yes.