PDA

View Full Version : Servotronic or not in X3

RChoudry
05-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Friend is buying X3 tomorrow from my dealer. He doesn't have any servotronic steering X3's to test drive.

Is the steering improved? Should he get it?

I have never driven one.

AndDown
05-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Not sure what you mean by "servotronic". Do you mean the active steering option?

SARAFIL
05-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Friend is buying X3 tomorrow from my dealer. He doesn't have any servotronic steering X3's to test drive.

I have never driven one.

We've never ordered one with it either, so I couldn't tell you.

LeucX3
05-31-2004, 12:01 PM
I think it's listed as an option, but not sure if i've seen one at the dealer lot with one.

sfca-325i
06-03-2004, 04:24 PM

I have never driven one.

The steering is much lighter at city driving speeds. Much easier to park. We are pleased with the choice.

euro-d
09-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Has anyone driven the Servotronic and normal steering X3 back to back and can tell the differences?
If I get an X3, it will be through ED, so I can order it if I want, but I read that most dealerships don't have it on their stock X3s available for test drive.

Coffeeman
09-30-2004, 10:41 AM

I have never driven one.

You won't find one with servotronic on a dealer's lot, because servotronic is a Priority One option, meaning it can only be ordered on an x (3 or 5) that is a "sold " vehicle (customer order)

I have driven an X5 with servotronic (even though BMWUSA does not list this option on their site for the X5), and it is worth getting if you do a lot of parallel parking. At low speeds, power steering assist is enhanced, requiring much less effort to turn the wheel. At speed, there is no difference in steering feel...

X5M5
09-30-2004, 04:59 PM
I would agree with Coffeeman....I don't have Servotronic on my X5 and its just fine, but I also don't do a lot of paralell parking or city driving.

I would say this....order up other options you want first (Xenons, heated seats, etc.) and then do the servotronic.

sfca-325i
09-30-2004, 05:06 PM
You won't find one with servotronic on a dealer's lot, because servotronic is a Priority One option, meaning it can only be ordered on an x (3 or 5) that is a "sold " vehicle (customer order)

I have driven an X5 with servotronic (even though BMWUSA does not list this option on their site for the X5), and it is worth getting if you do a lot of parallel parking. At low speeds, power steering assist is enhanced, requiring much less effort to turn the wheel. At speed, there is no difference in steering feel...

I am not sure that the first comment is correct. When I shopped for my X3 back in April, there were X3's on the lot with servo installed and I ended up purchasing one from a dealership that had an unsold model on its way from the prep center.

If you do a lot of city driving, the servotronic is excellent. Can't recommend it enough.

SARAFIL
09-30-2004, 07:04 PM

Priority One on the X5, regularly available option on the X3.

KP
09-30-2004, 08:08 PM
I've driven an A6 with servotronic/none. Can't say about the X's since I haven't driven them, but the servotronic on Audi's suck. Way too light and reminded me of my steering before the retrofit.

Coffeeman
10-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Priority One on the X5, regularly available option on the X3.
My Bad, you are correct. Sorry for the mis-information