PDA

View Full Version : I need a keeper - '04 X5 or '04 Toyota Landcruiser

Belushi
05-30-2004, 09:38 PM
I currently drive a 2003 530i and take care of it religiously as I hope to keep it for a long time. However, my wife needs a car and seeing as we are going to start having a family I want a tank that will be reliable and also last for 8-10 years. I realize the obvious fact that most point out German vs Japanese reliability, but these are the two cars I like and the only thing that is keeping me from the X5 is the question as to whether or not it will last the length of time I want without draining my bank account to fix the car in the later years.

While I realize none of you have crystal balls, I do respect everybody's opinion in this forum as it guided me well in my purchase of my '03 530i. I was hoping for some opinions that might give me a different perspective than I have at this point, especially from current owners that have older models of the X5.

Thank you in advance to all for your comments/suggestions/opinions!

Cheers,
Peter

suzer
05-31-2004, 08:06 AM
I really love my X5. I've had it for a little over a year. I've had no trouble (a slightly squeaky window, and a piece of weather stripping that keeps coming out of the clip on the passenger side door) to speak of.

Like you, though, I worry about the long term of the BMW. When asked, I'm hesistant to recommend the X5 because of the German/Japanese quality issues. My neighbor across the street and my sister both bought Lexus 330s, partly based on my opinions. When my warranty runs up I'll be doing some soul searching.

I had a Toyota 4Runner for 8 years. Besides recommended maintenance, I put basically nothing into it. Ditto for the Toyota Celica I had for the four years before it. I can't believe the X5 is going to be cheaper to maintain than a Toyota.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-31-2004, 08:34 AM
I think anyone who wants to keep a car for ten years with modern electronics, German or Japanese is kidding themselves.

HankM3
05-31-2004, 09:10 AM
I think the Land Cruiser lost alot of appeal when it dropped the L-6 engine and went to a V-8. That L-6 was absolutely indestructable.

If you're looking for an SUV, fuel mileage obviously isn't a factor, but the modern V-8 Land Cruiser is a total gas guzzler. Expect single digit mileage in the city if you do alot of stop and go.

rph74
06-01-2004, 08:35 AM
I think the Land Cruiser lost alot of appeal when it dropped the L-6 engine and went to a V-8. That L-6 was absolutely indestructable.

If you're looking for an SUV, fuel mileage obviously isn't a factor, but the modern V-8 Land Cruiser is a total gas guzzler. Expect single digit mileage in the city if you do alot of stop and go.

Actually the LC lost much appeal after the changeover to the 100 series. Not because of the engine change, but due to the fact that the 100 series catered to the luxury crowd, rather than to the diehard offroader as it had with the 80 series.

I personally love our LC(we have a '99), it is solid and smooth, and can handle more than I ever intend to throw at it. The 4.7 V-8 is derived from the Lexus LS400 motor and is also a very robust motor.

I agree that the gas mileage sucks on the LC, we get 13 in town, and 15 on long road trips. Wow, a whole 2 mpg increase when cruising.

trollerboy
06-01-2004, 09:40 AM
I have both a 2004 X5 4.4i and a 1996 Landcruiser. The Landcruiser is still going strong with zero major maintenance. I can't comment on the new Landcuisers, but the old one is definitely rock solid. You may not like the audio/phone that is standard, but that's an easy fix. As for milage, we get 14 in the city and about 17 on the highway (as long as it's flat). I've been getting over 18 with the BMW.

Belushi
06-03-2004, 07:25 PM
I think anyone who wants to keep a car for ten years with modern electronics, German or Japanese is kidding themselves.

While I respect your opinion don't you think that something worth $40,000 and up should last around this long without major work. I think we need to have higher expectations for something in this price range.

Why do you think Japanese cars have the reputation for lasting so long? My 1991 Honda Civic Si is still going strong as the person I sold it to emails me in awe that it still has the origianl engine, radiator, and all I ever did to it for 12 years was change brakes and oil. My wife use to drive a Mercedes 300D turbodiesel engine that her dad had purchased over 20 years ago. It had 300,000 miles on it and despite a minimal oil leak that had surfaced as of late it is a work horse and a classic.

I respectfully disagree Nick, we need to expect more and not be complacent. I would expect a Kia to last less and I would be ok with that since I only paid a few thousand for it, but when I am paying over $50,000 I expect more. I am curious to see if anything out here by BMW can do this.

-Peter

ModelManiacsUK
06-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Have you thought about when you come to sell it? You will probably get a lot more for the X5 than the Landcruiser, but this also depends on how many model updates they bring in the meantime...

philippek
06-07-2004, 08:18 PM
It pains me to do it, but I'd have to go with the Toyota on this one, especially if you're going for a 4.4. I wouldn't want to own any BMW V8 with over 100K on the clock. The 3.0 (or any BMW I-6) is a completely different story.

My main concerns on the bimmer would be the electronics, the tranny (the so-called zero-maintenance variety), and the engine, in that order.

Resale shouldn't be an issue. Any new car you own for 8-10 years will be virtually worthless.