PDA

View Full Version : Need warranty info

rshankar
06-04-2004, 10:31 AM
All,

I have an 01 X5 3.0 w/41K miles. My warranty runs out in Nov 2004. I was talking to my local BMW dealer and he quotes me prices ranging from 2500 - 4500 for warranties ranging from an additional 2 yr/30K to 4yr/100K. What he told me was that the warranty is offered by a third party company and not BMW. I was told that I could take it to any shop to get it fixed. Is this normal?

Any leads on extended warranty would be appreciated.

TIA

Emission
06-04-2004, 11:37 AM
How reliable has your X5 been? How many repairs have you done to date?

With 41K under your belt, you've got a pretty good indication of how reliable your car is, and whether or not you need a warranty. I had an E36 328i that was a lemon (it needed a warranty). My E46 and X5 have been flawless (I would never buy a warranty).

Everyone in the industry knows extended warranties are all profit. Personally, I wouldn't ever do them. If you car is unreliable now - sell it!

rshankar
06-04-2004, 12:00 PM
How reliable has your X5 been? How many repairs have you done to date?

With 41K under your belt, you've got a pretty good indication of how reliable your car is, and whether or not you need a warranty. I had an E36 328i that was a lemon (it needed a warranty). My E46 and X5 have been flawless (I would never buy a warranty).

Everyone in the industry knows extended warranties are all profit. Personally, I wouldn't ever do them. If you car is unreliable now - sell it!

I bought the car used and have had it for a year. Replaced the tranny and some other minor repairs to the A/C. Ok otherwise.

X5-4-fighting
06-04-2004, 09:40 PM
I bought the car used and have had it for a year. Replaced the tranny and some other minor repairs to the A/C. Ok otherwise.

If you have the money, I personally think that it wouldn't hurt purchasing an extended warranty. Then at least you have the peace of mind knowing that in case something does go wrong your chances of being covered are good.

Here's my extended warranty experience so far:
Before my 2001 X5 3.0i reached 50,000 miles, I purchased an extended warranty program offered by a dealer which covers my X5 up to 100,000 miles. I chose to purchase one especially with all the electronics (i.e. digital and analog displays, nav systems, etc) and mechanical features common to many vehicles these days. Again, I purchased an extended warranty for the peace of mind- and because I had the extra cash to invest (or waste- as some would see it... hehe :p). Up to now, I've had no major problems with the vehicle until just recently when the certified BMW mechanic at the current independent service shop I go to discovered a leak on the power steering pressure hose. Although it was relatively minor (relative to other things that could go wrong as a vehicle gets older), it was good to know I was fully covered. I was reimbursed for the warranty work- minus a $50 deductible fee, of course, consistent with most extended warranty contracts.

When deciding on a program, keep in mind that there are plenty of companies out there offering extended warranty programs at different levels and coverages. Note that an extended warranty is different from that of the original full bumper-to-bumper warranty that came with your vehicle when you first purchased it. Just so you know, extended warranties do have some limitations. So, be sure to ask plenty of questions and read the fine print on any contract, especially the list of parts/repairs covered and what's not coverd in any given program. Compare coverages with other warranty progams since coverages may vary from company to company. Also, if you go with a program that is offered outside of a dealership, do some consumer reasearch on those companies if you have to. There have been companies that have filed for bankruptcy. In those cases you're screwed :freakdanc: and $hit out of luck! :violent: Most good warranty programs allow the added flexibility for repair work to be done at either any dealership or at any PRE-AUTHORIZED/Certified independent repair shop. In the long run, I stuck with one program offered by a reputable BMW dealership- believing that at the very least they wouldn't want to sour the relationship of their loyal BMW customers and ruin their good name in the process by contracting unreliable extended warranty companies. In my case, so far so good! :drive:

Anyway, excuse the long-winded response. But I hope this gives you and others some insight on extended warranties. In the end, I know we're all looking for the same thing: PEACE OF MIND that our "Ultimate Driving Machines" run as reliable and as trouble-free for a very long time.

GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:

rshankar
06-05-2004, 12:23 PM
If you have the money, I personally think that it wouldn't hurt purchasing an extended warranty. Then at least you have the peace of mind knowing that in case something does go wrong your chances of being covered are good.
:

X5-4,

I appreciate the response. Could you share some of the details of your warranty? Cost,coverage , where purchased from etc. Feel free to email me at raj_osu@hotmail.com if you don't want to post it here.

Thanks

THE RING
06-05-2004, 12:32 PM
I have mine through a company called Mechanical Proctection Plan- www.mppco.com- Havent had to use them yet, but according to the brocure they cover everything except the usual wear items like clutch, light bulbs, weather stripping, etc. Hope this info is helpful. :D