PDA

View Full Version : Another E65 Audio Problem; probably the weirdest i have come across

mjquake
06-08-2012, 04:23 AM
i have no audio from the driver rear door, the whole right side and the subs of my 2002 e65, the only speakers working now are the center, front driver side and driver side rear deck.

initially, after reading many forums, i thought it was the ASK unit, honestly, the ask unit was indeed faulty as it will not read disks sometimes and keeps making noise over and over.

So i got it replaced thinking it would solve some of my issues. before i replaced the ASK, there was a crackling noise from the front driver side and i wont hear the SVS sound at all. After replacing the ASK, the SVS was back to normal. My NAVI works fine, all other warning sound are audible, CDC plays cd's fine.

After replacing the ASK, it reads CD's perfectly. I am not sure whats going on with my audio system, but it sure is weird as i dont seem to come across anyone with a similar problem.

Another thing i noticed by the way is that, the CDC seems like it is restarting everytime i turn on the car, and the ASK unit does not seem remember the last track it was playing, it just starts from track 1 again; same as the CDC

any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

ldse65
06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
I have a 2002 e65 that I bought a used ASK when my system was completely down. The ASK unit got everything back up but the speakers were playing muffled. Mechanic told me to try the ASK in another car and see what it does. I put it in my nephews e65 and it played fine. I put his ASK in my car and everything played perfect again. the ASK that I bought came out of a 2004 E65. Since my nephew and I both have 2002 models the only thing I can think of is maybe production dates of the cars. Good Luck!

mjquake
06-14-2012, 12:13 PM
thanks for the input. i am ordering another ASK again as i reply to this post. The seller is willing to give me another one even though i am 5 days past the warranty he gave me. And unfortunately, i am not in La right now where i have enough friends with the same car that i could have tested it on.

PAPER, on here indicated that sometimes it needs to be reprogrammed to the vin of your car, i'm keeping my fingers crossed to see what happens with this other ASK, or im just gonna have to wait till i'm back in La for PAPER to check it out for me.

will keep you updated.

First_745Li
06-14-2012, 01:16 PM
i have no audio from the driver rear door, the whole right side and the subs of my 2002 e65, the only speakers working now are the center, front driver side and driver side rear deck.

initially, after reading many forums, i thought it was the ASK unit, honestly, the ask unit was indeed faulty as it will not read disks sometimes and keeps making noise over and over.

So i got it replaced thinking it would solve some of my issues. before i replaced the ASK, there was a crackling noise from the front driver side and i wont hear the SVS sound at all. After replacing the ASK, the SVS was back to normal. My NAVI works fine, all other warning sound are audible, CDC plays cd's fine.

After replacing the ASK, it reads CD's perfectly. I am not sure whats going on with my audio system, but it sure is weird as i dont seem to come across anyone with a similar problem.

Another thing i noticed by the way is that, the CDC seems like it is restarting everytime i turn on the car, and the ASK unit does not seem remember the last track it was playing, it just starts from track 1 again; same as the CDC

any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Mj,
I noticed that mine does the same thing. Starts from track 1 every time. I think it happens more frequently when the car has been sitting for days without being driven. It's freakin' annoying.

PAPER
06-14-2012, 01:24 PM
The reason your CD Changer restarts every time you start your car , & the reason both start from track 1 .

Is you need a new battery ...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

First_745Li
06-14-2012, 01:26 PM
The reason your CD Changer restarts every time you start your car , & the reason both start from track 1 .

Is you need a new battery ...

WHAT??Don't say that.. I just had the battery changed and yes, it was registered with the onboard computer.

PAPER
06-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Those are the symptoms of a bad battery .

What onboard computer ???

mjquake
06-14-2012, 04:15 PM
I changed my battery as well and registered it, Still the same. I just figured I might have gotten another bad ASK Btw, PAPER I still got u in mind and let me know when and if u up for my offer.

Will let u know when I get that new ASK and if anything changes or not.

First_745Li
06-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Those are the symptoms of a bad battery .

What onboard computer ???

Easy PAPER,
This is all new to me...my first BMW... so what are your thoughts? I've got a new battery. :)

PAPER
06-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Did you have it registered when you put the new battery in ???

If no is your answer , then you made a big mistake & you might have ruined the new battery . Registration is a must with the e65 & e66 .

First_745Li
06-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Did you have it registered when you put the new battery in ???

If no is your answer , then you made a big mistake & you might have ruined the new battery . Registration is a must with the e65 & e66 .

Yea I did. I had a BMW certified repair shop replace and register the battery. According to them, it "checks out".

king0fspades
06-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Do you drive enough to keep it charged. Cd changer reset is low battery. Not necessarily bad but low on charge.

First_745Li
06-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Do you drive enough to keep it charged. Cd changer reset is low battery.

Ok.. what is enough? It's not my everyday car, I take it out on the weekends, some weekends anyway.

mjquake
06-14-2012, 10:33 PM
PAPER, So this is a little weird, when I check the running voltage while vehicle is running, it's over 14, when off and probably using the stereo
for a while, it's fluctuates b/n 12 and 13.

Are these the normal ranges?

mjquake
06-24-2012, 07:31 AM
So for the update on my issues, i got the replacement ASK unit on Friday, never had the chance to install until last night. all speakers that the ASK controls are working normal. my guess is, the seller had previously sent me another bad unit, probably why my issues never got resolved. luckily he sent me a working one this time.

Still without any base from subs and no sound from rear door speakers tho. at least I'm eliminating the possibilities.

And speaking of bad battery; it's like you guys saw it coming, on Thursday night, the car just shut off in the middle of know where while i was driving and all hell broke loose. i think almost every kind of light came on on the dash. started with ABS fault, all power cutting on and off, my breaks wouldn't even work and kept making a scratching sound.

I pulled over, disconnected my battery for a while and reset codes using INPA. tried to drive home and even on the freeway at that high speed, i figured if it was a bad battery, it should at least charge for a while; same thing, seems like the system kept restarting, but not at the rate at which it did on surface streets. actually on surface street, it just dies completely.

thought it may have been a bad battery from autozone i had gotten less than a month ago. the guy at autozone happened to drive the same model and indicated it was my alternator not charging the battery enough. so especially at night, when i used my headlight and stuff and it likely to shut off if enough charge isnt received.

i turned off my headlight drove almost all day with no such symptoms. guess he was right. tried at night time to use my headlight, problem again.

long story short, guess i need an alternator. think mine is water cooled. an i think it may have a connection to why my subs aint working. cos when i initially start the car, i can hear the subs turn on and once in a while, they actually play, but as soon as i crank up the volume they go off