PDA

View Full Version : BMW Shop

allaboutthelife
06-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Now that I have changed my own brakes and seen how the dealership trys to Rip people off. Im thinking of a BMW Carshop. What do you all think about that? Am I going in over my head?

iceman5
06-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Youll need alot more knowledge than changing brakes if you want to run a shop. Do you have any experience in this field?

roadfrog
06-09-2012, 09:27 AM
LOL. "I changed my own brake pads, so now I can open a BMW shop and replace transmissions, cylinder heads......"

I brushed my teeth this morning, so I'm going to open a dental clinic.

hd750Li
06-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Am I going in over my head?

You are about 30,000 feet above your head!

allaboutthelife
06-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Lol fellas I've been working on cars since I was a teen. My dad is a mechanic. I'm used to fixing domestic vehicles ie Fords etc. I just thought it would be harder to work on. Don't crack on me too hard fellas. At the end of the day I can own the shop and just hire the workers!!!

Rookie2008
06-09-2012, 06:20 PM
I Say GO FOR IT!! Its not like you will be working on my car anyway:rofl::rofl::rofl: Just Joking bro! You won't know till you try right?

roadfrog
06-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Then I take back what I said, though I thought it was a rather clever quip on my part.

You were very vague, and hence, the wise cracks. Seems ya got your background in order. That said, I'm not sure how much busiess you could generate on just Bimmers.

alpinaman24
06-11-2012, 03:42 PM
as long as your patient bro ..

honestly i work on german cars all day long

and at the end of the day my brain is dead lol

its not a chevy or a ford

dont get me wrong the new chevys and fords are a clusterf*(k but in the end its basics

with the bimmers and benzs .. you need alot of special tools to be able to cover

we use autologic for bmw

set us back about 20 g's just for bmw gives you programimng coding retrofiting and diagnosis all in one

but ! you need more

timing tool for n62 motor "745" "645" "545" is about 5bills from OTC

just adds up

now vw's are easy for the most part
audi's i think the factory found extra brackets and bs to add on
and porsches you need to drop , lower the motor to do anything more than an oil change maybe a belt and maybeee if you have the right shaved spark plug socket to do the plugs

you wont make ends meat on bmw's only as a indy

unless you use to work in the dealer and have built up clientell

goodluck!

alpinaman24
06-11-2012, 03:44 PM
oh and btw if those workers you hire

end up braking something its your ass

unless your hiring someone like 1200 a week 1500 a week who knos and has tools

csmeance
06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Now that I have changed my own brakes and seen how the dealership trys to Rip people off. Im thinking of a BMW Carshop. What do you all think about that? Am I going in over my head?

opening a shop is quite a bit of an overshoot!

If you want to make use of your skills, I'm sure quite a few folks would like the brakes/regular maintenance done on their BMW/Benz at a lower labor rate than the dealer (charge 75-100/hr vs. the 150/hr. If you offered a mobile service for this where you do the work in their driveway (bring tools, jacks, stands, etc) then you might get an even better turnout. Tack on a 10% parts profit and you'll be set! You can also show them dealer pricing for the parts and your price to help seal the deal!

Rookie2008
06-11-2012, 05:01 PM
opening a shop is quite a bit of an overshoot!

If you want to make use of your skills, i'm sure quite a few folks would like the brakes/regular maintenance done on their bmw/benz at a lower labor rate than the dealer (charge 75-100/hr vs. The 150/hr. If you offered a mobile service for this where you do the work in their driveway (bring tools, jacks, stands, etc) then you might get an even better turnout. Tack on a 10% parts profit and you'll be set! You can also show them dealer pricing for the parts and your price to help seal the deal!

+1