PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone replaced front control arms on E60?

Kalil147
06-10-2012, 02:11 PM
After having my 05 545i serviced at Braman BMW, they mentioned that my front control arm bushings are shot.

I have about 68k miles on my 545i. Is this normal?
How can shot bushings affect my ride?
One thing I do notice is road/tire noise. Not sure if its due to the bushings or my front tires that have about 65% thread.

Oceans10
06-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Yes, normal at that age and mileage.
It will affect suspension and steering in front and can wear your tires unevenly.
You are probably noticing the steering being a bit slack, like it has some play in it.
You need to replace the control arms and the bushings together.
On the 535 that cost over $500 in parts.
Get an alignment done after you have them replaced.

Had mine done at 70k miles, for reference.

Kalil147
06-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to getting it done soon.

Question. Did you replace it yourself? Is it necessary to replace the entire arms or just the bushings? Dealer quoted me 470 plus tax for both arms.

Oceans10
06-11-2012, 05:25 AM
You need to do both sides, arms and bushings. Requires a press as the bushings are squeezed onto a post at the end of the arms. Price sounds about right. My arms were $220 a piece. Plus $80 for the bushings. I got them at oembimmerparts.com and Turner Motorsports.
I had an indie do it. Whole job was close to $900 including labor, parts and alignment. Took 4-5 hrs. Unless you are a very skilled mechanic I would let the pros do it. Car has to be on a lift.

An 05 car was probably built in 2004, so be prepared for these kinds of expenses 8 years out. Gotta put some money into the car and then you can enjoy it for another 5 years or whatever. I just replaced my water pump. That was over $1,000 but I want my car to run like new, it's a $70k car and there is no getting around these bills at a certain age and mileage.

PS if you have runflats, then they will be noisy when new, and a lot noisier as they wear. In the end they drone. If you see the letters RFT on the sidewall, you got them!