PDA

View Full Version : Broken Cylinder Head Cover Bolt 2006 530i

dembones64
06-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Hi I have a broken Cylinder head Cover bolt on my 2006 e60 530i, I know this is a common problem that BMW NA is not owning up to. I have read several articles regarding this issue. Valvetronic dude posted a great thread on how to get the bolts out, but I am a novice car mechanic guy. He states that it is fairly easy to get the broken portion of the bolt out by using something sharp into the bolt and backing it out. Others have suggested drilling a whole in the bolt and removing it that way. The car is 6 years old with 48000 miles on it. Almost certain BMW NA wont cover the cost of repair. I got an independant BMW guy tell me if he can get it off without removing the cover it will cost around $200 but if he needs to take off the cover it will cost me $500. Additionally, I have what looks like stickers on the inside of the door handles to prevent scrathes to the car, are those removeable? Thanks for all you help.
SMD in Los Angeles

borderchris
06-10-2012, 04:18 PM
I've owned several inline-sixes; despite what you may have read, this is not a common problem. That said, it's not a particularily complex repair for an indy- Have you gotten an estimate?

Keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands of these cars on the road with an I6 of some kind; a few pissed-off threads on the internet does not a recall campaign make. My point is that you'll probably never get help from BMW on this; focus your energies on fixing the problem, and enjoy your car.

Oceans10
06-10-2012, 06:19 PM
If it's just the plastic cover that fits over the engine, then it's no big deal. That cover serves no real purpose except cosmetic and is fastened with 6 small bolts. You could take it off and possibly get the broken bolt out with a pair of pliers or visegrip.

MAussie
03-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Valvetronic dude posted a great thread on how to get the bolts out, but I am a novice car mechanic guy.

Where is the post?