PDA

View Full Version : Florida has some Strong Squirrels.

Bishop709
06-11-2012, 06:55 AM
So something has started chewing away at my car. And it's getting worse.

wyb
06-11-2012, 07:35 AM
I say get some bitter apple spray and give you car a good spray when you park it up. This will get costly if they continue. Most pet stores carry it - I know petsmart & petco have Grannick's Bitter Apple Spray - that has been effective for domesticated animals who chewed things - it would be my first choice of deterrents short of catching the blighter and killing it.

I thought this was going to a thread about hitting one and doing damage - I hit a jack-rabbit a month or so ago... hit the bumper, popped out the fog-light, broke the tabs which old the fog-light to the bumper - result - new bumper required - *and* punctured the windshield washer fluid... end result... one VERY dead rabbit - $1800 of repairs - for a flippin' RABBIT!!!

Bishop709
06-11-2012, 07:45 AM
I haven't taken a picture of the newer damage, but yes this is going to get expensive. I'm want to replace it, but don't want them to start doing the crap again.

TXSTYLE
06-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Squirrels or Rats... :eek:

Rats are notorious for chewing through anything! Why would squirrels chew plastic?

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

boramkiv
06-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Squirrels or Rats... :eek:

Rats are notorious for chewing through anything! Why would squirrels chew plastic?

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

This is what i'm thinking, rats are just greedy rodents. I would take the car to a lift to see if there are any other visible damages because they chew through pretty much anything.

TXSTYLE
06-11-2012, 09:20 AM
This is what i'm thinking, rats are just greedy rodents. I would take the car to a lift to see if there are any other visible damages because they chew through pretty much anything.

Indeed.

We suffered one of the most brutal droughts last year followed by a hard freeze. I have NEVER seen a rat in my vicinity until this past winter!
First was the droppings in my garage followed by the droppings all over my engine bay! :yikes: :eek: :( But the really bad part was that the fuggers chewed through a thermostat sensor line which tripped my check engine light! When I took it in, the service tech called me and told me there was a dead apparently electrocuted rodent under my car... I thought I was being PUNKED!

Turns out the shop was seeing "multiple cases" of this phenomena as they are attracted to heat and electrical current! When I went to Home Depot they also confirmed a huge spike in sales of rodent control items. I eventually caught 2 of them as well and thankfully have not seen any signs of them.

~ Big Marcus

rijc99
06-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Get some big good old fashion rat traps. Just be careful of the spring. Or, you could go with a .22LR.

Campfamily
06-11-2012, 10:34 AM
X3 on this looking like rats, not squirrels. A couple of years ago my neighbors took out a bunch of ivy. Next thing I know, I've got holes chewed through a large Tupperware container I had in my garage full of dog food. They also loved chewing the foam coverings on A/C hoses. Turned out to be a bunch of big fat rats. Get some traps and some poison out right away (assuming you don't have little kids or other animals you don't want to kill in your garage on a regular basis), you need to get rid of these right away.

Bishop709
06-11-2012, 12:11 PM
So the first pic I posted was when it first started happening about 2 weeks ago. this morning I noticed it had gotten worse. Here is the new pic. If you look at the edges, you can see where there are teeth marks.

I'm so putting some traps out tonight.

BMW535xia
06-11-2012, 12:22 PM
for your sake, and i hope it doesn't occur, but don't be surprised if it/they take-up residence in your vehicle [happened to a guy i know].

Bishop709
06-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Oh hell nah. lol. I'm a big guy, i've skinned hogs, been noodling, had a frog jump on my face while driving. Not much scares me. But rats are the worst. I will burn my ride.

Mac Hadley
06-11-2012, 12:41 PM
If the car is kept outside, maybe some motion detection impact sprinklers might deter the rodents?

2chill
06-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Is that your lower front or back bumper? I concur, looks to me like a rat also. Probably just one rat, a female using the bits of plastic to line a nest. Get a spring rat trap, put something tasty in it and put it right under where the rat is chewing on the car. Female rats are relatively easy to catch, but males are a bitch. The're very smart, get trap shy and stay away from anything unusual in their normal surroundings like freshly placed traps. Good luck!

rijc99
06-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Peanut butter.

Bishop709
06-12-2012, 05:06 AM
Front drivers side side skirt. Put a spring trap out last night. Nothing. I'll do it every night till I catch the bastard.

borderchris
06-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Looks more like a Chupacabra to my trained eye. BOLO.

TXSTYLE
06-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Front drivers side side skirt. Put a spring trap out last night. Nothing. I'll do it every night till I catch the bastard.

Another tip... I went with peanut butter at first and the lil fuggers ignored all 3 traps! We have a toy breed dog and I put her food instead... Caught two that night! And the third outside on my patio a day later!
Thank goodness havnt seen any since Feb.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

Campfamily
06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Another tip... I went with peanut butter at first and the lil fuggers ignored all 3 traps! We have a toy breed dog and I put her food instead... Caught two that night! And the third outside on my patio a day later!
Thank goodness havnt seen any since Feb.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

Ditto for the dog food. Worked every time.

2chill
06-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Peanut butter and cheese doesn't work as well as people would think. I had an issue with a rat and couldn't catch him with peanut butter either. I did catch him using our hamster's treats!

njlou
06-13-2012, 08:24 AM
So something has started chewing away at my car. And it's getting worse.

Sorry to see your problem.:(

Here in NJ I had something similar chewing my garbage cans. that seems obvious since they are looking for food.

maybe your car has a "food" smell that attracts them???:dunno:
try power washing the area and spraying with some repellant.

A friend of mine had his drive joint boots chewed the same way.

It must be a tasty treat.LOL

bikerdib
06-14-2012, 09:29 AM
While I was doing some work building a pond at my weekend place in the woods, I kept my tractor there covered with a tarp. I wasn't able go out there for a couple of weeks and then when I did it was a wasted trip. It wouldn't start. I loaded it up on my trailer using a "come along". That was lots of fun let me tell you...

Took the tractor to the dealer and they found rats had chewed through the wires going to the fuel shut off solenoid and various other wires. I'm not talking about chewing off the insulation but they chewed through the copper wire completely. In fact, they said sections of wire were completely missing. Rats (and squirrels) chew just to keep their teeth worn because they keep growing.

They told me lots of people use moth balls. Combines and such have lots of grain scattered in them and that acts like a rat cafeteria. I tried the moth balls and for the last 8 months or so no more evidence of rats.

terrystu
06-14-2012, 09:57 AM
I store my E24-M in my barn for the winter and used to have problems with squirrels. Tried traps and always got a few squirrels, never any rats, but since the barn is sort of a winter resort for critters, it was useless trapping, as more always came back. The last 7 or 8 years I have placed mothballs in all the desirable (to a squirrel) locations, and no problems since. I wrap 4 or 5 mothballs in cheesecloth so the chemical doesn't come in contact with any surfaces, and stuff them into the critical areas, engine compartment, suspension parts, tailpipes, etc. Then I dump a few boxes on the floor and spread them out under the car. My prized possession is rodent-free!

One thing I've often wondered, though. Where do they find moths with such big balls, and does it hurt?

bikerdib
06-14-2012, 11:21 AM
I store my E24-M in my barn for the winter and used to have problems with squirrels. Tried traps and always got a few squirrels, never any rats, but since the barn is sort of a winter resort for critters, it was useless trapping, as more always came back. The last 7 or 8 years I have placed mothballs in all the desirable (to a squirrel) locations, and no problems since. I wrap 4 or 5 mothballs in cheesecloth so the chemical doesn't come in contact with any surfaces, and stuff them into the critical areas, engine compartment, suspension parts, tailpipes, etc. Then I dump a few boxes on the floor and spread them out under the car. My prized possession is rodent-free!

One thing I've often wondered, though. Where do they find moths with such big balls, and does it hurt?

I think they find most of those big moths (and any other large bugs desired) here in SE Texas. Sometimes it sounds like I've hit a bird instead of a bug, especially when those bugs hit the face shield of my motorcycle helmet.