PDA

View Full Version : Horrible sound system! - advice

pmm21
06-11-2012, 12:26 PM
My (unfortunately) non L7 sound system is downright awful.... It sounds so bad, I don't even want to drive with it turned on anymore. The best way I can describe it is Fuzzy. There's lots of crackling, and popping when I play music through any source (although the guidance works fine)

It sounds like blown speakers - How could they all be blown at the same time?

The weirdest part of all: It gets exponentially worse whenever someone is in the back seat, or I have stuff in the trunk.

I asked my brother, who is a BMW tech, and he says he can't think of a single reason for this to be happening.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this disaster?

I'm tempted to take it to the dealer and have them replace the whole system, it's THAT bad!

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Mike_K
06-11-2012, 02:22 PM
This just sounds like a failing amplifier rather than overall poor sound quality. Given the change in quality you get when someone sits in back, it's entirely likely it could be a bad ground or something similar.

Bronsongolden
06-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Does it still make a fizz sound even when the volume is turned all the way down? I had this problem in another car, the battery cable was the problem believe it or not. Since the battery is mounted in the back that may explain why it is worst while people or things are in the back.

pmm21
06-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Does it still make a fizz sound even when the volume is turned all the way down? I had this problem in another car, the battery cable was the problem believe it or not. Since the battery is mounted in the back that may explain why it is worst while people or things are in the back.

No fizzing noise when the volume is down. What was the explanation for the battery cable causing the problem?

pmm21
06-11-2012, 03:47 PM
This just sounds like a failing amplifier rather than overall poor sound quality. Given the change in quality you get when someone sits in back, it's entirely likely it could be a bad ground or something similar.

I'm terrified to replace the amp. It's so expensive - and I risk (as with everything at the dealer) it not solving the problem....

Bronsongolden
06-11-2012, 04:33 PM
With mine it was a bad connection on the terminals. But I'd check the entire cable if I was you.

burnie35
06-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Your car appears to be a 2010 ... so why not take it to the dealer for warranty coverage? :dunno:

pmm21
06-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Your car appears to be a 2010 ... so why not take it to the dealer for warranty coverage? :dunno:

Should have mentioned... CPO. Sound system is not covered... otherwise it would be a non-issue.

burnie35
06-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Should have mentioned... CPO. Sound system is not covered... otherwise it would be a non-issue.

Is the mileage over 50k already? I don't see how 4 years could have passed since the car was first put on the road ... sorry to belabor the point ... I'm just confused (or dumb). :dunno:

pmm21
06-11-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm at 56k now.

burnie35
06-11-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm at 56k now.

Now I understand ... finally :D

pmm21
06-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Another question - hypothetically, if this problem is pertaining to the amplifier, why does the guidance and bluetooth calling sound quality remain unaffected? Doesn't all sound that comes through the speakers run through the amplifier?

burnie35
06-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Another question - hypothetically, if this problem is pertaining to the amplifier, why does the guidance and bluetooth calling sound quality remain unaffected? Doesn't all sound that comes through the speakers run through the amplifier?

I'll bet it's one of the speakers ... can the crackling be localized?

pmm21
06-13-2012, 10:35 AM
no, it's a progressive popping and cracking that comes from all speakers.

burnie35
06-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Just a thought ...

DoubleJJ
06-13-2012, 11:41 AM

My speakers were doing the same thing. I just took it to the dealership to have the amp replaced for the 2nd time. I'm expecting to get it back today. I moved because of work in between the 1st time and now. The new dealership honored the warranty even though the 2 year warranty (comes with the part if installed by BMW) had just expired about 45 days ago from when it was replaced while under factory warranty. I sat down and talked with the service manager and told him I was new to the area etc etc. They called this morning and told me they would not charge me for the amp. All they asked is that I split the labor costs with them. $175 versus $1600? My advice for you would be to try and negotiate with a service manager. Since your 50K warranty just expired they may replace it for you on the house or ask that you split the costs with them. This beats buying a refurb amp on Ebay or some other site that doesn't come with an additional 2 year warranty. Find a way to get a deal worked out with the dealership. You want that part to be covered under their warranty by acquiring it and having it installed through them. Trust me. If they want your consistent business(oil changes etc) then they will find a way to help you out with this matter. Just sit down and get to know the manager of the service department in your area.

pmm21
06-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Just spoke with my brother. He said he'll bring me an amp out of their stock. We'll do a quick replace to see if it fixes the problem. If it works, I can buy the part at his cost, and he'll take it in and code it for me. If not, he'll just return it to the shelf and we'll go back to square one..... Keeping my fingers crossed!

ArtchredTTU
06-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Now I understand ... finally :D

Dayum! Thats some serious mileage on a 2010:bigpimp: