PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Build Up - Dealer Suggested Fuel Inj. Cleaning

CK530
06-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Took my car to the dealer for the annual oil change, Battery Cable recall, mount & balance 4new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and wheel alignment. I also asked them to check on a hesitation on acceleration from a stop or slow speed. SA called back 4 hrs later and suggested a "Fuel Injection cleaning". The hesitation is due to carbon build-up. According to my SA, this is a known issue. I knew about the carbon build up from this forum. And how members' dealers worked the extra mile to have the cleaning approved by BMWNA. When I went in to pick up my car, I suggested to my SA if he would contact BMWNA on my behalf about covering this service. SA refused. Then I asked to speak to the service manager. Explain to the service manager if he could call up BMWNA or the regional rep about covering the FI cleaning (I printed and showed him 20 pages of this topic from the Bimmerfest forum, which the service dept went the extra mile to get the cleaning covered by BMWNA). My car have 21K miles. The hesitation started around 17K. He gave me a big story and he also refused to make any phone call. He even showed me a BMW brochure about "BMW Fuel Injector and Induction System Cleaning". MSRP of the cleaning is $250, but there is a special $189.99.

So, should I contact BMWNA or change my gas from Shell to BP for about 2 fill-up then change to Chevron for about 2 fill-up...AND drive the car HARD @ 4500 rpm (suggested by a member of this forum)?

Kamdog
06-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Took my car to the dealer for the annual oil change, Battery Cable recall, mount & balance 4new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and wheel alignment. I also asked them to check on a hesitation on acceleration from a stop or slow speed. SA called back 4 hrs later and suggested a "Fuel Injection cleaning". The hesitation is due to carbon build-up. According to my SA, this is a known issue. I knew about the carbon build up from this forum. And how members' dealers worked the extra mile to have the cleaning approved by BMWNA. When I went in to pick up my car, I suggested to my SA if he would contact BMWNA on my behalf about covering this service. SA refused. Then I asked to speak to the service manager. Explain to the service manager if he could call up BMWNA or the regional rep about covering the FI cleaning (I printed and showed him 20 pages of this topic from the Bimmerfest forum, which the service dept went the extra mile to get the cleaning covered by BMWNA). My car have 21K miles. The hesitation started around 17K. He gave me a big story and he also refused to make any phone call. He even showed me a BMW brochure about "BMW Fuel Injector and Induction System Cleaning". MSRP of the cleaning is $250, but there is a special $189.99.

So, should I contact BMWNA or change my gas from Shell to BP for about 2 fill-up then change to Chevron for about 2 fill-up...AND drive the car HARD @ 4500 rpm (suggested by a member of this forum)?

Find out if he is just talking about a fuel injector service, or if he is talking about walnut shell blasting.

wyb
06-11-2012, 06:44 PM
my car was sluggish - I put two tanks through with techron fuel additive - the 20oz bottle - even though the dealer said it can't possibly make a difference, because the car is direct injection, and the buildup occurs elsewhere - both myself *and* Mrs wyb (who has a decidedly unsophisticated butt dyno - no offense honey if you're reading this) - we are both SURE the car feels better - smoother revving and better mid-range acceleration without sluggishness... :dunno:

The only thing I would say could have affected things APART from the techron - was that we did this over a long weekend with almost 1400 miles driven in 4 days - so this additive was put through the engine at freeway speeds very quickly...

MRV99
06-11-2012, 06:54 PM
The 550 is NA motor and does not have Direct injection which would not qualify for the walnut blasting.

wyb
06-11-2012, 07:01 PM
The 550 is NA motor and does not have Direct injection which would not qualify for the walnut blasting.

doh - missed it was a 550i - I'd DEFINITELY throw a couple of tanks through it fast with techron - my 2nd tank was Chevron which obviously already has techron - and I put the 20oz additive in as well.

TRS550
06-11-2012, 07:40 PM

But that doesn't stop dealers from trying to take advantage of unknowing owners.

I had a service advisor try to sell me the same thing for my 07 550.

CK530
06-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the feed back guys.

Based on the price $190 and the NA engine, it was for fuel injection cleaning. Based on what I had read in this forum, the walnut blasting is about $550+ and mostly involved with the DI. Service manager did mentioned any cars that came in with carbone buildup, even with 10K miles, they would suggest to do the "Fuel Injection Cleaning". He didn't even know what kind of car I was driving. So, what this dealer is doing is up sell their service, just like any other dealers. No different when a Mercedes dealer told my wife she needed to change her brake pads @ 8.5K miles for $499. On the next service (15k), I took the ML in for service and asked the SA if the brake pads needed to be change. He came back and told me not to worry for another 20K.

After going over the entire work order last night, I realized they DID NOT gave me my annual free oil change. When I made the initial appointment, my first request was for the oil change. It have been one year since my last oil change and drove only 10K. I guess when the SA read my key fob, it showed that I have another 4300 miles until the next oil change and erased the work order on the computer.

So, that would be the last time I'm going to BMW of Freehold. My selling dealer is great, Paul Miller, just they are 45 mins from my house.

jsimon7777
06-12-2012, 08:53 AM
That sucks. Yes, it's the DI engines that need the special cleaning because the detergents don't get to work where the carbon builds up. For non-DI cars, Techron is awesome. I think you missed the 2:1 Oreilly deal, though. I seriously doubt any dealer would cover this kind of service.

jim165
06-13-2012, 09:17 AM
I also asked them to check on a hesitation on acceleration from a stop or slow speed. My car have 21K miles. The hesitation started around 17K. He gave me a big story and he also refused to make any phone call. He even showed me a BMW brochure about "BMW Fuel Injector and Induction System Cleaning". MSRP of the cleaning is $250, but there is a special $189.99.

You sure this isn't just the hesitation built into the drive-by-wire that we're all complaining of and that some people are correcting with a Sprintbooster? Kinda hard to believe that your fuel injectors are fouled in just 21K? Just wondering...

CK530
06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
You sure this isn't just the hesitation built into the drive-by-wire that we're all complaining of and that some people are correcting with a Sprintbooster? Kinda hard to believe that your fuel injectors are fouled in just 21K? Just wondering...

I had the hesitation on sport mode when I first got the car. Very rough. After the 1,000 miles break in, then there were no more hesitation until around 17K. I step on the gas pedal, the car took off from a full stop...very smooth and quick. Then one day back in March, I step on the gas pedal and the car hesitated for about 1 or 2 second then the car took off....WTF!!! Doesn't happen all the time. Once every 2 or 3 days. I made an appointment with my selling dealer for my annual oil change which BMW of Freehold did not performed on Monday. I will have them look at the hesitation issue.

jim165
06-13-2012, 02:25 PM
I had the hesitation on sport mode when I first got the car. Very rough. After the 1,000 miles break in, then there were no more hesitation until around 17K. I step on the gas pedal, the car took off from a full stop...very smooth and quick. Then one day back in March, I step on the gas pedal and the car hesitated for about 1 or 2 second then the car took off....WTF!!! Doesn't happen all the time. Once every 2 or 3 days. I made an appointment with my selling dealer for my annual oil change which BMW of Freehold did not performed on Monday. I will have them look at the hesitation issue.

Wow, okay. Hopefully is nothing serious and they will get you fixed up. Beautiful car, by the way. It was nearly impossible to find an Alpine White M-Sport when I was looking. My favorite color for this car by far...

racooper3
06-13-2012, 05:04 PM
My opinion. After talking with BG products rep here in Tampa, you should try finding a BG mechanic in your area and buy a couple of cans of BG 44K. It is one of the highest concentrated fuel system cleaners out there. A couple of cans of that stuff over a couple of tanks of premium Shell 93 and you will likely clear up that issue or make a serious dent in it. The cans are good for one tank of gas (20 gal) each and they only cost me $16 here in Tampa at my indy mechanic. I run top rated fuels like Shell 93 or Chevron 93. The BMW fuel system cleaner concentrate is actually the same stuff as the Chevron Techron product. Chevron makes it for BMW. The BG 44K is actually much better at cleaning than the Chevron Techron. Might want to run a can of that every 3000 to 5000 miles. Use clean premium gas and you shouldn't have that big of a build up issue. My previous car, 2000 e39 528i, had 209K miles and engine was just as strong as the day I bought it. No internal engine issue in that 6 cyl whatsoever.

Not to advertise for BG, but they do offer a warranty on your engine repairs if you use their fuel system cleaner. Ever need to have valves or fuel injectors replaced, they offer a lifetime warranty repair on certain covered items. If you keep good records and are diligent about using product when recommended, you'll get money toward repairs. Same for tranny, differential, fuel system, etc. I won't compromise on the oil and I use Mobil 1 0W30 for my car's engine every 7K miles. Better than what BMW CBS service recommends.

Good Luck !