PDA

View Full Version : Active Steering Repair kit

MHK545
06-12-2012, 07:17 AM
I have a 2005 545 MT with 92k, and I am getting the Active Steering failure light and message every time I turn the car on. The wheel was also misaligned, but that has, for now, gone away once I did the "lock to lock" reset. But the light and warning still persist.

I read that there is a repair kit for the optics in the sensor which can be found here (http://www.trademotion.com/parts/index.cfm?make=BMW&year=2005&model=545I&submodel=&searchText=61+31+9+141+875&action=oePartSearch&siteid=214672). And I was wondering if any one has done this and if it resolved this issue for good.

Any advice/help would be appreciated from this amateur.

Thanks,

MHK

MHK545
06-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Has anyone fixed this issue in a 2005 E60? It seems that the sensor is different than the one described in previous posts. My symptoms are just the Active Steering warning message on the iDrive screen and the light on the dash. My steering wheel alignment is just fine and the car seems to drive just like it always has. No other messages or warning appear.

I opened up my sensor thinking I could clean a optical lens or replace it, but there was no lens, I am assuming that was a change made after 2005. All I saw was a mother board with a round connection that had brush connectors which I assume tell the computer the angle of the steering wheel.

If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

MHK