PDA

View Full Version : 760Li, success using the laptop to clear serious codes and register a new battery

mws
06-12-2012, 11:32 AM
So, I have been getting what the forum was saying were probably spurious error fault codes from the seatbelts/airbags, the Thermostat, the fuel level sender, and dynamic stability control.

The forums were all saying the battery might be getting a tad low on voltage and sometimes starving a module slightly, which can cause it to fault code. The problem is, the airbag warning is serious and can't be cleared with a simple OBD2 reader. Also, you cannot just swap batteries. The battery is an AGM-type and expensive, but also, from all the googling I did, VERY VERY picky about how it is charged.

So all that BS about your car being dead an not starting unless you have BMW replace your battery and do some coding is bull****. I changed my battery with a $200 aftermarket, high-quality AGM and the car started just fine. The problem is, they do need to "register" the battery to simply get the smart alternator learning curve to re-set and start learning the charging characteristics of the new battery so it will last a long time. My last one lasted 4 years, according to teh service records I got from BMW. AGMs can last even longer than that. But if you don't register it, I've heard you can get more codes very quickly, because the charging curve might not fully re-charge the new battery, it provides low voltage and also potentially kills the battery in a year.

So, I broke out the laptop I had set up by Randomy in the DIY forum, and finally read up on how to register a battery using DIS. I was successful. Then I broke out the other apps I have on the laptop and figured out how to use INPA to finally clear the code for airbag. I'd say that about 8 out of 10 modules associated with the seat sensors, the seatbelts and the airbags were coded. I cleared them all, and in the last few days, no new codes.

What I am hoping is, I'll drive for months with no errors from the above modules, and the changing of the battery was the fix for all those codes. I have no doubt if I had taken it to BMW, they would have "fixed" all those modules, for thousands of dollars, including pulling my gas-tank for a new fuel sender, and then said, 'oh yeah, and now you need a new battery, let's do that while we are here ($500)".

Also, the brakes had thrown a code due to me wearing the pads to the sensor nubs. The sensors have two wires on them. Closed loop. wearing them down opens the loop. So I had not replaced the rear sensor yet. I had one, I was just lazy. I pulled the wheel off and plugged it in. The front I had done months ago.

The laptop cannot clear brake pad codes. You have to do the "key in ignition and odometer reset button" thing (it's easy to Google), and reset the service interval for the brake pads. I had tried before, with the dead rear sensor and it did not work. You MUST replace the sensors.

I also had, in the service section a red warning to do a smog check and a "state inspection" (which I guess is for states that require them). These, again, are not reset-able with the laptop (AFAIK, maybe they are). I had to use the odometer button to select them, open them up and choose a date in the future that was a few years out. so I would not see the nag again for awhile.

1bad540
06-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Great news that you did this.:thumbup: I think his point was he changed the battery for 200 not 600.

mws
06-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Great news that you did this.:thumbup: I think his point was he changed the battery for 200 not 600.

...plus "probably" avoided many thousands of dollars in wasteful fixes of modules that coded. If the battery change fixed the coding problem, then the modules were not broken to begin with.

samadkins29
06-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Can you give more detail as to what you were hooking to the car with? I keep hearing the INPA and DIS stuff but nobody every really states what cables and or devices they need in addition to the software. I feel like I should know this considering I'm a computer tech, lol

mws
06-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't have them handy, right now, but start here

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

and maybe some of the other BMW forums, look for DIY diags or DIY coding.

The guy who helped me get set up is on another forum. sorry for the cross-post (you will have to join the forum to look him up)

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/

look for posts started by Randomy. He has a great FAQ, and can get you a list of the hardware he likes. I'm sure also, making pals with some of the other DIY guys on any forum, and someone will be glad to help you get your gear and set it up.

Can you give more detail as to what you were hooking to the car with? I keep hearing the INPA and DIS stuff but nobody every really states what cables and or devices they need in addition to the software. I feel like I should know this considering I'm a computer tech, lol

sirstopher
06-12-2012, 01:01 PM
hey... I already inspired one member of this forum to start searching and helping himself, maybe "that" was my point.

I have to agree with MWS, everything is strung out and you have to go to 50 different sites to find the right cable, the right kind of notebook to use, the right USB software, the right kind of OS, the right release of the DIS software, and the most current copy of INPA software with a good link to download from.

Then there is working with the software itself, a minor learning curve of what to change and what not to.

All on top of this we have no moderation of stickies and frankly the search engine for this site sucks.

Tall_Order_E66
06-12-2012, 01:02 PM
if you don't get it, then I guess this thread was not for you. :rolleyes:

you should probably just take your car to the dealer when it codes.

Nicely done :)

mws
06-13-2012, 12:35 PM

This one tells you what cable to buy and why

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544419

bluzplayer
06-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I have to agree with sirstopher, it's really difficult to find out how to do your own coding. It isn't a matter of intelligence to do this, it's a matter of finding time to study hundreds of posts and dozens of websites, all with conflicting and confusing info on the same topic.

Is there anyone HERE that is willing to authoritatively state the parts and sources to gather so that the average person can begin to take care of our cars instead of having an often incompetent and dishonest dealer shop do it for you?

I've found so many references to INPA and cables and laptop requirements that even this electrical engineer is not able to sort out the wheat from the chaff!

I think I've got a battery going TU (aka toes up, or 'tango uniform') and would like to replace it soonest and also clear a nagging left rear seatbelt light that came on at an Interstate exit after the transmission in Sport mode did some kind of crazy move that felt like I was rear-ended.

mws
06-13-2012, 02:31 PM
I have not tried this and have no idea if it works, but it might be a good compromise for a lot of folks who are not afraid to try a plug and play solution

http://bavariantechnic.com/

my big suggestion to help those who want a goof FAQ sheet on this and a group of guys who really know the answers, is to join bimmerforums and chase down user name Randomy. That's what I did.

stuartjohn24
06-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Is there anyone HERE that is willing to authoritatively state the parts and sources to gather so that the average person can begin to take care of our cars instead of having an often incompetent and dishonest dealer shop do it for you?

Hi,

I agree with whats been said here, there is plenty of conflicting info, but for the basics you are going to need some sort of interface, you need a USB to K-Line interface, in the E65/66 this communicates directly to the Central Gateway Module (ZGM), the ZGM connects to the PT CAN, Body CAN and byteflight(Airbag optical interface). The MOST bus is accessed via the MOST gateway which is the ASK unit, this communicates on the Body CAN.

Anyway, enough technical stuff, here is an ebay link to a suitbale cable and bundled software:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-Diagnostics-OBD-Cable-Interface-lead-Ediabas-Inpa-GT1-DIS-/110882363672?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19d11a9918#ht_10973wt_1097

The seller is in the UK but I am in now way affliated with him/her! its just one I found! :)

As a bare minimum you have to install INPA which is a BMW software development suite, you can install a virtual machine that runs DIS which is the actual dealer software up until around 2008/2009. This is great I have used it. However for simplicity INPA performs the same functions.

Reading error codes is the most basic thing you can do with this software, its possible to retrofit components, edit coding for keys, modules (welcome lights, MMI options to add DVD, TV, iPod etc...) and even flash replacement or new modules to the car thus entirely avoiding trips to the dealer! I have recently replaced my light module, got a replacement from ebay for £70, re-flashed with E65 software, wrote VIN number, programmed VO and coded to my car. at the dealer this would have cost over £500.

I try to run my 7 on a budget, I don't have loads of spare cash to waste getting the dealer to do something I can do at home, thats the reason I have spent hours learning the software and reading tutorials.

Stuart

sirstopher
06-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Ok, just bought the cable, what do I need to do to my notebook, I am running Windows 7.

I'm pretty good with computers, just not coding software that can brick my car!!!!!!!

sirstopher
06-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I have not tried this and have no idea if it works, but it might be a good compromise for a lot of folks who are not afraid to try a plug and play solution

http://bavariantechnic.com/

my big suggestion to help those who want a goof FAQ sheet on this and a group of guys who really know the answers, is to join bimmerforums and chase down user name Randomy. That's what I did.

I was told that the Bavarian tool can not register the battery? Don't know!

stuartjohn24
06-13-2012, 06:00 PM
I was told that the Bavarian tool can not register the battery? Don't know!

Probably not, from what I see on the website its just a fancy code reader, it cannot code or re program anything in the car.

Its just a pretty third party interface for error code reading.

sirstopher
06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Probably not, from what I see on the website its just a fancy code reader, it cannot code or re program anything in the car.

This is just the same tool my Indy used, he said they registered the battery, took it to another shop and they used the GT1 to register.

This is why I am getting into coding, just ran me 120.00.....

Mr_Burger
06-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Nice to see people getting involved with INPA and coding :)

I've done all the coding I need on my car, the only issue I have seems unsolvable as my posts on other forums have lead to nothing sadly leaving me unable to connect to the engine to monitor anything as I just cannot find a script file for the ME9N73TU engine :(

I have the 2 EDIABAS prg files, but without the INPA scripts for the TU version I'm sunk..

stuartjohn24
06-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Hi Mr Burger,

I had a similar issue with an INPA installation it would not communicate with my DME, different engine mine an N62. I had to install a different version, I will look thonight to see what im running. It may work for you.

mws
06-14-2012, 11:11 AM

Thankfully, it does a good bit more than that...

I'm still not advocating this tool,. just trying to figure out if it would ever be useful if my laptop took a dump. Also, having someone else keep track of your SW updates could be useful and handy

here's the overview: http://www.bavariantechnic.com/default.aspx

Read and clear diagnostic fault codes (that, right off the bat, is very, very useful)
Display shadow faults and soft faults
Display and record real-time actual values
Activate components of the car for troubleshooting
Reset service reminders
Reset condition-based service indicators
Send special commands to control units
Show ECU information
Access the latest BMW DCAN systems for 2007+ models

>>>

"activate components for troubleshooting" is very handy. The URL shows a page where you can turn on and off injectors. very handy for engine diagnosis, for starters. Especially if you can turn them off one by one while running the motor. If you have a rough idle and turn one off, and nothing changes, there's your dead hole.

then there are the "coding" functions:

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/Coding.aspx

And turning off an airbag light is how I found this product using search, in the first place.

"Can it really help me turn off my airbag light?
Yes! The tool can show you why it is on in the first place so you can correct the problem and turn the light off. "

Personally, I am most interested in maintenance and clearing codes, not making my car do fancy tricks via coding.

Being able to register a key is a great feature.

If it won't reg a battery, that "is" lame. I am sure one could start an email campaign to get them to add the feature. I have an email in to them to find out if it does it, or not.

mws
06-14-2012, 11:39 AM
I emailed the guy, wrote me back in about 5 minutes.
>Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting Bavarian Technic. Yes, the tool supports the battery registration on the E66 760Li. You will find a list of the tool's supported capabilities on the model feature matrix of the website: www.bavariantechnic.com/modelfeaturematrix.aspx.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.
Owen Sutton
Diagnose Technic
888-854-5523
>

Then I used brainpower™ and looked at the matrix table....

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/modelfeaturematrix.aspx

...more closely, there's an asterisk at the bottom

Additional features:
Condition based service (oil reset not yet available on N52 engine)
New battery registration on 730, 735, 745, 750, 760 - except Diesels

>>>

I would say at this point, if someone does not want to fiddle with trying to set up a laptop, make sure they have the right drivers, and the right hardware from the various Ebay suppliers, and does not want to spend hours trying to soak this stuff up on several different DIY forums, this might be a decent alternative to take care of the car and do major portions of maintenance yourself. Again, I don't own one, and have not tried one. I have the above-described cobbled-together laptop approach.

If someone has one and it's not doing all the features listed above, they should contact the manufacturer for an update.

Mr_Burger
06-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Mr Burger,

I had a similar issue with an INPA installation it would not communicate with my DME, different engine mine an N62. I had to install a different version, I will look thonight to see what im running. It may work for you.

Hi
If your version has a script for the ME9N73TU engine then that would be great..

I'm not holding my breath though as nobody seems to have it..

As I said before, I actually have the prg files as they're part of the DATEN updates, but as INPA doesn't have the accompanying script (that's called when you press the F key command) it doesn't use the correct prg files :(

Cheers

mws
06-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Now that I've looked more closely, the full-featured version of the Bavariantechnic software is almost $800. Could be why that garage could not register a battery. I would call first and talk to someone there before ordering.

stuartjohn24
06-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Mws, I agree the software looks good, very simple for a garage or home user. However it's pretty expensive and relies on software updates to allow full functionality for all modules and cars etc...

I can understand independent garages buying the software because they don't have a great amount of time to mess around with installing software etc... I do not think this software is great for a keen diy/enthusiast. I'm sure many people here on this forum would rather spend a few hours installing software and having the benefits of the full dealer capabilities than spending >$500 on a third party piece of equipment. Regardless if it resets the battery or not! Also what happens when the company goes bust? You won't have any updates and no comeback.

I hate spending money on things I know I can get done cheaper, I.e not visiting the dealer, this tool, although looks pretty, is expensive and not as versatile as the INPA solution, after paying that amount of money are you able to program used modules with new firmware and write the specific information like VIN and vehicle order codes for retrofit equipment? The INPA and DIS isn't an easy option but it's cheap and it works.

Stuart

sirstopher
06-17-2012, 10:06 PM
My cable comes in this week and it also comes with all the programs from the link above, I am so excited to dive into programming for my car.

Oh yea, 45.00 shipped.

mws
06-18-2012, 09:20 AM
My cable comes in this week and it also comes with all the programs from the link above, I am so excited to dive into programming for my car.

Oh yea, 45.00 shipped.

I glossed over the link Stuart posted (sorry, Stuart) and thought it was just a cable. These guys appear to be bundling everything.

Please let us know how it goes once you get it. Yeah, I agree, if more than one or two members can voiuch for the setup of this, and say it works, forget the Bavariantechnic stuff!

mws
06-19-2012, 03:27 PM

Oh yea, 45.00 shipped.

even though I have an older 32-bit version on my dedicated laptop, it's older versions of some apps, and also, 9-pin serial instead of USB.

Bought this package as well, plus, I'd like to see their documentation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110899604160

figure it's a backup to my system, or might even surpass it. Thanks again for the tips, guys.

stuartjohn24
06-19-2012, 04:04 PM
I glossed over the link Stuart posted (sorry, Stuart) and thought it was just a cable. These guys appear to be bundling everything.

Please let us know how it goes once you get it. Yeah, I agree, if more than one or two members can voiuch for the setup of this, and say it works, forget the Bavariantechnic stuff!

I have this setup and I think its great, if you go and have a look at some of the E39 and E46 forums there are knowledgable guys on there that have been using this setup for years.

So long as your competent installing some USB drivers and following some instructions its pretty straight forward, you should be up and running in around 30 mins. Installing DIS takes a few hours, its pretty complicated, I find that INPA performs the same functions much quicker!

For example, scanning the whole car using DIS took around 5 mins, as it talks to each module in turn, I have recently found a method of doing this in INPA and it does it in about 5-8 seconds! It gives a quick overview of the modules and tells you if any errors are present. They are displayed as HEX here but you can then go back and read the full error report from each module that your interested in.

If you own an E65/66 then you definitely need something to read error codes! :D

E R R O R M E M O R Y
-----------------------

Date: 19.06.2012 18:31:24
Model: E65
Scope: all control module
JobStatus: OKAY
Quantity: 48
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ADR Gen. name JobStatus Number of errors

Error code Kind of error
00 ZGM OKAY No Error stored

01 SIM/SGM OKAY 1 Error stored

9487 60

02 SZL OKAY No Error stored

03 SASL OKAY No Error stored

04 SASR OKAY No Error stored

05 STVL/TEFA OKAY No Error stored

06 STVR/TEBF OKAY No Error stored

07 SSFA OKAY No Error stored

08 SSBF OKAY No Error stored

09 SBSL OKAY No Error stored

0A SBSR OKAY No Error stored

0D SSH OKAY No Error stored

0E SFZ OKAY No Error stored

12 DME/DDE OKAY 2 Error stored

278B 02

284F 28

18 EGS OKAY No Error stored

23 ARS OKAY 1 Error stored

D1E1 E8

29 DSC OKAY No Error stored

2A EMF OKAY 1 Error stored

D3BE A4

36 TEL/MULF OKAY 5 Error stored

A37B 60

A37C 60

A384 60

A385 60

D691 20

37 AMP OKAY 1 Error stored

D6D1 20

3B NAV OKAY 1 Error stored

D7E4 20

3C CDC OKAY No Error stored

3F ASK OKAY 1 Error stored

D8CF 20

40 CAS OKAY No Error stored

41 DWA OKAY No Error stored

42 CIM OKAY No Error stored

43 POW OKAY 1 Error stored

A158 21

45 RLS OKAY No Error stored

46 WIM OKAY No Error stored

47 ANTTU OKAY No Error stored

4B VIDEO OKAY 1 Error stored

A390 61

4C TMFT OKAY No Error stored

4D TMBT OKAY No Error stored

4E TMFTH OKAY No Error stored

4F TMBTH OKAY No Error stored

60 KOMBI OKAY 1 Error stored

931C 21

62 MOSTGW OKAY 1 Error stored

E191 20

63 MMI/CCC OKAY No Error stored

65 BZM/SZM OKAY No Error stored

66 BZMF OKAY No Error stored

67 ZBE OKAY No Error stored

69 FAH OKAY No Error stored

6A BFH OKAY No Error stored

6B HKL OKAY No Error stored

6D FAS OKAY No Error stored

6E BFS OKAY No Error stored

70 LM OKAY 3 Error stored

9CB9 22

E519 24

E514 24

78 KLIMA OKAY 1 Error stored

9C60 61

================================================== ===============

You can then clear all errors on all modules with one click. Another feature is a list of all modules, part numbers, software versions etc... that are in the car, very useful if your updating other modules in the car and re-flashing software using WinKFP.

It also shows manufacturing dates of modules so you can see what modules have been replaced in the past. (If your interested in that kind of thing :yikes:)

I D E N T I F I C A T I O N
---------------------------

Date: 19.06.2012 18:35:36
Model: E65
Scope: all control module
JobStatus: OKAY
Quantity: 48
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ADR Gen. name JobStatus SGBD GROUP Part No. VarI DiaI CoI HwI SW-No FSV SW-No OSV SW-No MCV SW-No res Date Supplier Name
00 ZGM OKAY ZGM_E65 D_ZGM 6941842 4335 0100 0 15 7.0.2 0.4.10 0.9.22 0.1.95 17.12.2002 Loewe => Lear Zentrales Gatewaymodul
01 SIM/SGM OKAY SIM D_SIM 6949899 4441 0110 7 05 6.14.1 6.9.0 0.6.108 255.255.255 06.12.2001 Loewe => Lear Sicherheits- Informationsmodul
02 SZL OKAY SZL D_SZL 6970833 4442 0120 8 10 6.15.0 6.10.1 0.6.119 255.255.255 09.10.2003 Kostal Satellit Lenks***8240;ule
03 SASL OKAY SASL D_SASL 6949909 4443 0130 7 05 6.14.1 6.9.0 0.6.101 255.255.255 30.11.2001 Delphi PHI Satellit A-S***8240;ule links
04 SASR OKAY SASR D_SASR 6949908 4444 0140 7 05 6.14.1 6.9.0 0.6.102 255.255.255 04.12.2001 Delphi PHI Satellit A-S***8240;ule rechts
05 STVL/TEFA OKAY STVL D_STVL 6970905 4445 0150 7 05 6.14.4 6.9.0 0.6.116 255.255.255 13.11.2001 Siemens Satellit T¸r vorne links
06 STVR/TEBF OKAY STVR D_STVR 6970907 4446 0160 7 05 6.14.4 6.9.0 0.6.117 255.255.255 13.11.2001 Siemens Satellit T¸r vorne rechts
07 SSFA OKAY SSFA D_SSFA 6949905 4447 0170 7 05 6.14.1 6.9.0 0.6.114 255.255.255 16.01.2002 Loewe => Lear Satellit Sitz Fahrer
08 SSBF OKAY SSBF D_SSBF 6949904 4448 0180 7 05 6.14.1 6.9.0 0.6.113 255.255.255 16.01.2002 Loewe => Lear Satellit Sitz Beifahrer
09 SBSL OKAY SBSL D_SBSL 6949911 4449 0190 8 05 6.14.1 6.9.0 0.6.103 255.255.255 10.11.2001 Delphi PHI Satellit B-S***8240;ule links
0A SBSR OKAY SBSR D_SBSR 6949910 444A 01A0 8 06 6.14.1 6.9.0 0.6.104 255.255.255 01.12.2001 Delphi PHI Satellit B-S***8240;ule rechts
0D SSH OKAY SSH D_SSH 6949906 444D 01D0 7 05 6.14.1 6.9.0 0.6.115 255.255.255 16.01.2002 Loewe => Lear Satellit Sitz hinten
0E SFZ OKAY SFZ D_SFZ 6949901 444E 01E0 8 04 6.14.1 6.9.0 0.6.105 255.255.255 27.11.2001 Delphi PHI Satellit Fahrzeugzentrum
12 DME/DDE OKAY ME9E65_6 D_MOTOR 7540760 3051 000F 12 10 255.255.255 255.255.255 255.255.255 0.0.0 30.11.2001 Bosch Motorelektronik ME 9 8 Zylinder N62
18 EGS OKAY GS19 D_EGS 7534928 324C 0200 0 43 6.255.255 3.0.11 0.9.238 0.0.0 20.10.2001 ZF Getriebesteuerger***8240;t GS19
23 ARS OKAY ARS_E65 D_ARS 6762208 4131 0250 11 C1 6.13.0 2.3.12 0.5.48 3.7.2 04.12.2001 Temic Aktive Rollstabilisierung
29 DSC OKAY DSC_E65 D_DSC 6759565 0001 0270 0 01 6.46.0 0.0.0 0.6.36 0.0.0 04.11.2001 Bosch Dynamische Stabilit***8240;tskontrolle
2A EMF OKAY EMF_E65 D_EMF 6760702 4132 0280 7 33 6.55.0 2.3.0 0.5.50 0.0.0 16.11.2001 Siemens Elektromechanische Feststellbremse
36 TEL/MULF OKAY TELE60_3 D_TEL 9149615 5542 0632 18 18 6.1.5 255.255.255 0.22.150 0.0.0 12.01.2007 Unknown manufact Telefon ECE,US,Japan Variante
37 AMP OKAY AMP_E65 D_AMP 6941681 4141 02A0 0 06 7.5.0 255.255.255 0.6.145 0.0.0 19.08.2003 Becker Top HIFI Verst***8240;rker
3B NAV OKAY NAV_E65 D_NAV 9195222 4231 02E0 5 61 9.8.2 255.255.255 0.6.118 0.0.0 07.07.2005 VDO Navigation ECE/US
3C CDC OKAY CDC_E65 D_CDC 6919474 4450 02F0 0 11 6.3.3 255.255.255 0.6.30 0.0.0 16.10.2001 Alpine Audio CD-Changer
3F ASK OKAY ASK_E65 D_ASK 6924724 4143 0300 2 03 7.1.0 255.255.255 0.6.18 0.0.0 07.12.2001 Becker Audio System Kontroller
40 CAS OKAY CAS D_CAS 6942488 4148 0310 3 03 6.12.8 2.3.0 0.10.216 0.1.57 07.08.2003 Siemens Car Access System
41 DWA OKAY DWA_E65 D_DWA 6929701 414D 0320 3 C1 6.3.6 2.3.0 0.5.34 0.0.0 03.12.2001 Megamos Diebstahlwarnanlage
42 CIM OKAY CIM D_CIM 6764527 4149 0330 3 21 6.4.2 2.3.0 0.8.228 0.0.0 07.12.2001 Temic Chassis Integration Modul
43 POW OKAY POW_E65 D_POW 6935431 4234 0341 3 C3 6.50.0 2.3.0 0.9.0 0.0.0 14.08.2001 Hella Powermodul
45 RLS OKAY RLS_E65 D_RLS 6922046 4139 0360 2 41 6.0.5 2.3.0 0.5.41 99.16.4 18.09.2001 Kostal Regen- Lichtsensor
46 WIM OKAY WIM_E65 D_WIM 6923740 4334 0370 3 00 6.5.4 2.3.0 0.6.147 0.0.0 22.02.2000 Bosch Wischermodul
47 ANTTU OKAY ANT_E65 D_ANTTU 9145422 4146 0380 3 43 6.8.67 255.255.255 0.6.16 0.0.0 04.12.2001 VDO Antennentuner
4B VIDEO OKAY VID_E65 D_VIDEO 6933861 4332 0390 0 C3 6.4.34 255.255.255 0.6.142 0.0.0 08.12.2001 Loewe => Lear Videomodul ECE
4C TMFT OKAY TMF_E65 D_TMFT 6945385 4330 03A0 4 00 6.10.5 2.3.0 0.6.137 0.0.0 08.06.2001 Siemens T¸rmodul Fahrer
4D TMBT OKAY TMB_E65 D_TMBT 6945383 4259 03B0 4 00 6.10.5 2.3.0 0.6.135 0.0.0 08.06.2001 Siemens T¸rmodul Beifahrer
4E TMFTH OKAY TMFHE65 D_TMFTH 6945386 4331 03C0 4 00 6.10.5 2.3.0 0.6.138 0.0.0 19.11.2001 Loewe => Lear T¸rmodul Fahrer hinten
4F TMBTH OKAY TMBHE65 D_TMBTH 6945384 425A 03D0 4 00 6.10.5 2.3.0 0.6.136 0.0.0 21.09.2001 Loewe => Lear T¸rmodul Beifahrer hinten
60 KOMBI OKAY KOMB65_2 D_KOMBI 6969024 4133 03F3 6 10 6.17.22 35.242.5 0.14.135 6.17.4 25.01.2002 VDO Instrumentenkombi
62 MOSTGW OKAY MC_GW D_MOSTGW 9149996 4158 0400 0 01 6.142.0 2.3.0 0.8.251 0.0.0 16.08.2005 Becker MOST/CAN-Gateway (im MMI)
63 MMI/CCC OKAY MMI_GT D_MMI 9157123 415A 0410 4 02 6.165.2 255.255.255 0.8.251 6.10.1 10.05.2006 Becker Mensch Maschine Interface Grafikteil
65 BZM/SZM OKAY BZM_E65 D_BZM 6928255 4257 0430 0 15 6.7.0 2.3.0 0.5.9 0.0.0 01.06.2001 Eaton Bedienzentrum Mittelkonsole
66 BZMF OKAY BZMF_E65 D_BZMF 6920884 4258 0440 0 15 6.7.0 2.3.0 0.5.10 0.0.1 16.07.2001 Eaton Bedienzentrum Mittelarmlehne
67 ZBE OKAY EC_E65 D_EC 6933261 414E 0540 0 01 6.67.235 2.3.0 0.2.212 0.0.0 30.03.2001 Alps Zentrale Bedieneinheit
69 FAH OKAY FAH_65_2 D_FAH 6924879 424C 0451 3 09 6.12.0 2.3.0 0.5.17 0.0.0 28.11.2001 Temic Sitzmodul Fahrer hinten
6A BFH OKAY BFH_65_2 D_BFH 6924879 424C 0451 3 09 6.12.0 2.3.0 0.5.17 0.0.0 28.11.2001 Temic Sitzmodul Beifahrer hinten
6B HKL OKAY HKL_E65 D_HKL 6935618 4154 0470 2 C1 6.0.9 2.3.0 0.6.58 0.0.0 03.12.2001 Helbako Heckklappenlift
6D FAS OKAY FAS_65_2 D_FAS 6924878 424C 0451 3 09 6.12.0 2.3.0 0.5.17 0.0.0 30.11.2001 Temic Sitzmodul Fahrer
6E BFS OKAY BFS_65_2 D_BFS 6924878 424C 0451 3 09 6.12.0 2.3.0 0.5.17 0.0.0 30.11.2001 Temic Sitzmodul Beifahrer
70 LM OKAY 9192641 5352 0D60 52 14 4.50.20 4.0.5 0.16.112 0.0.0 16.09.2008 Loewe => Lear
78 KLIMA OKAY IHKA65 D_KLIMA 6932149 4134 04C0 3 04 6.32.255 2.3.0 0.8.240 0.0.0 29.11.2001 Preh Klimabedienteil
================================================== ===============

mws
06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
So, I was asked when I first posted this thread "what's the point", by a certain someone-- who was removed from this thread by the admins for not playing very politely.

I think the point was: we're all professionals who (in my case work for Apple and black-box test software for a living) have tech skillz, but may not be a Windows Wiz™ and great at mucking around in the dll level of a PC to ensure drivers are working. Plus, the time. When I was 30, and unmarried, I had more time than money. I spent it on lots of projects like this.

Now, I have a 13-month old and a 4-acre ranch. I do a lot of the maintenance myself. I bought my laptop and had someone else install on it, back in October of 2010. I only just NOW had the time to bust it open and spend basically, half a day figuring it out. And my system came to me completely installed!

Also, cruising the DIY sites is daunting for those who don't have time to sift 500 emails and follow the trails for weeks worth of posts, only to find they failed or bricked their car. Or they were successful, sure, but you have to decide for yourself who actually "knows" what they are doing.

Having One-Stop Shopping, with some instructions on how to install the stuff, is very helpful. Especially for those who don;'t spend most of their time in the DIY section.

Thanks for the detailed replies, the link to the bundle on Ebay, and also for being a gentleman about it.

sirstopher
06-22-2012, 09:41 AM
I going to make this short, got cable and started direction to install software, about 1/2 way done and I need to test INPA to talk to car, the version that is supplied with the cable is a older version 4.6.1 or something like that, don't recall as I'm at work, I could NOT get INPA to open in windows 7, I went to bmw coding site and I am downloading the software via the link posted in the newbie section.

I wanted to pass this information on to you all as I got stuck for right now. I would suggest to just download a copy of INPA then follow directions to install USB drivers

I will know more tonight. Keeping this live in this thread.

mws
06-22-2012, 10:26 AM
I going to make this short, got cable and started direction to install software, about 1/2 way done and I need to test INPA to talk to car, the version that is supplied with the cable is a older version 4.6.1 or something like that, don't recall as I'm at work, I could NOT get INPA to open in windows 7, I went to bmw coding site and I am downloading the software via the link posted in the newbie section.

I wanted to pass this information on to you all as I got stuck for right now. I would suggest to just download a copy of INPA then follow directions to install USB drivers

I will know more tonight. Keeping this live in this thread.

I am currently running XP 32-bit and probably will have no issues. But your feedback should certainly be passed on to the vendor, ESPECIALLY via their Ebay feedback which most Ebay vendors are very careful to protect. I guess it would be more sporting to email them first and get a response. They might bend over backwards to fix the situation or at least send you an update (not that you need one). It's like rape, if no one reports it, it did not happen.

sirstopher
06-22-2012, 11:08 AM
I am currently running XP 32-bit and probably will have no issues. But your feedback should certainly be passed on to the vendor, ESPECIALLY via their Ebay feedback which most Ebay vendors are very careful to protect. I guess it would be more sporting to email them first and get a response. They might bend over backwards to fix the situation or at least send you an update (not that you need one). It's like rape, if no one reports it, it did not happen.

Na, they state the software is for educational use/ viewing only and they are not liable for it working, or supporting / troubleshooting.

I will say that the cable is put together quite well and the instructions for just installing the software is extremely detailed. I think it more on the OS on my machine, I do have VM ware that was supplied, so I will just install windows XP if I can't get INPA to work.

stuartjohn24
06-22-2012, 05:07 PM
It definitely works on xp, it ha to be a 32 bit OS. I have it running on my MacBook in a VM running xp sp2. It does work, you need the ftdi drivers and follow the instructions supplied. The software is intended for engineers/technicians at BMW for production test routines during vehicle production and diagnosis. It works great when installed correctly find some tutorials it's pretty straight forward.

sirstopher
06-22-2012, 05:24 PM
I will get there, the world is round....

AUBURNTIGERFAN
06-26-2012, 07:59 AM
SIRSTOPHER - I just purchased the same item- let me know how your install goes (any tips/tricks) and if it works like it should when connected to your car. Thanks !

sirstopher
06-26-2012, 09:14 AM
SIRSTOPHER - I just purchased the same item- let me know how your install goes (any tips/tricks) and if it works like it should when connected to your car. Thanks !

The cable works great, the software and the instructions are good if you have a 32 bit xp OS. I am running windows 7 64 bit, you can find that thread here on this forum. It took me two days working with Pkathee to get INPA to work, basically his software, or hers still confused about that.

I will update more at lunch.

sirstopher
06-26-2012, 10:08 PM
So I got the cable, started installing the software and tried to run INPA, it came up with an error that it only runs on 32bit OS. I didn't have a copy of XP and do I started the thread" INPA 5.02 on windows 7 64 bit"

Pkathee helped me by getting INPA running on my windows 7 box, but that's all I have running right now.

I will say this, after registering the battery with INPA my Max AC started working. The very second we hit the button...... I now have a final stage resistor that my Indy told me to replace. Extra part....

My Indy told me that 1. The car did not have the battery monitoring system, and 2. They used the 4in1 Bavarian tool to register my battery that did absolutely NOTHING.

I suspect that 50% of the people on this board have not registered the battery with the correct software, or have not done this process at all....I am telling you right now it makes all the difference in the world.

So, I did contact the eBay seller and he told me they have a new DVD they are sending out to me with a 1 click install.

My email was nice but I stated the listing on eBay stated that it did work with windows 7......and I am sure it does after reading the 5 different install instructions that are placed in different directories and you then have to login to 4shared and download the 5.02 update for INPA.

I have built computers, deigned websites, written some code, ect....but this just all goes back to the very first post. All of these instructions are strung out and all over the place.

Ok, going to sleep now

Lastcombo
06-27-2012, 06:55 AM
So I got the cable, started installing the software and tried to run INPA, it came up with an error that it only runs on 32bit OS. I didn't have a copy of XP and do I started the thread" INPA 5.02 on windows 7 64 bit"

Pkathee helped me by getting INPA running on my windows 7 box, but that's all I have running right now.

I will say this, after registering the battery with INPA my Max AC started working. The very second we hit the button...... I now have a final stage resistor that my Indy told me to replace. Extra part....

My Indy told me that 1. The car did not have the battery monitoring system, and 2. They used the 4in1 Bavarian tool to register my battery that did absolutely NOTHING.

I suspect that 50% of the people on this board have not registered the battery with the correct software, or have not done this process at all....I am telling you right now it makes all the difference in the world.

So, I did contact the eBay seller and he told me they have a new DVD they are sending out to me with a 1 click install.

My email was nice but I stated the listing on eBay stated that it did work with windows 7......and I am sure it does after reading the 5 different install instructions that are placed in different directories and you then have to login to 4shared and download the 5.02 update for INPA.

I have built computers, deigned websites, written some code, ect....but this just all goes back to the very first post. All of these instructions are strung out and all over the place.

Ok, going to sleep nowThat's some good information thanks for sharing:thumbup:

mlgoolsby8
08-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Can you give more detail as to what you were hooking to the car with? I keep hearing the INPA and DIS stuff but nobody every really states what cables and or devices they need in addition to the software. I feel like I should know this considering I'm a computer tech, lol.

I keep hearing the INPA and DIS stuff but nobody every really states what cables and or devices they need in addition to the software. Please give me more information, because I am having problem trying to reset my battery.

mws
08-03-2013, 11:10 AM
start here. there's a vendor in England that has a kit that supposedly has tons of new instructions and is plug n play

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xbmw+i npa&_nkw=bmw+inpa&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have not used this kit. I looked up a guy called Randomy on bimmerforums and literally asked him what to buy, and sent it all to him and paid him to set it up and test it for me.

Qmetro
08-03-2013, 08:04 PM
M

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app