PDA

View Full Version : 745i Engine cooling fan blade wobble

Ilove&hatemy745
06-12-2012, 04:19 PM
I have a 2003 745i and a few days ago started feeling a terrible engine vibration, specially
when accelerating. I thought I had to replace the motor mounts as somebody told me, but
I discovered the engine cooling fan wobbling badly. I see the fan is attached to a belt pulley,
so I imagine the bearing went bad. Is this fan blade attached to something else ? Is this easy
to fix ? Please help !

mikewerks
06-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Replace the Water Pump as thats what the fan is attached to. I'm just ordering the pump for our 02' due to the same issue. Some say its a 6hr D.I.Y doesn't sound too bad.

Ilove&hatemy745
06-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Thank you for your reply ! I have already been to a mechanic that confirmed that it is the water pump. I might have to buy water pumps in bulk as this will be the third time replacing it, since I had the car for six years now. Even though I'm not a mechanic, I'm tempted to do it myself. Is there anywhere step by step instructions that I can get ?

mikewerks
06-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Yes there is a D.I.Y post showing the process. I will doing the same this week. Do you remember if you used a O.E pump or...

Ilove&hatemy745
06-20-2012, 11:20 AM
I don't know what water pumps they installed in my car before, but I was looking at a Graf or Geba or Cardone on the internet. How do I find that DIY post, do I go through all the posts until I find it ? I'm new in this forum by the way.

mikewerks
06-20-2012, 04:07 PM
I looked extensively for a good quality pump at a good price. I bought my Graf from Pelican Parts yesterday for 138.00 shipped. Heres the link for the DIY section with the water pump info www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414607&highlight=water+pump

Ilove&hatemy745
06-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Thank you Mike ! That's a much better price than here in Miami ($185.00) I also appreciate the DIY link. Now I have to decide whether I want to take on this mission or not.

mikewerks
06-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Just finished my water pump job. Not a hard job but without the tools(especially the Fan clutch too)l it would have been a pain. The pump Pelican sent worked out perfectly!! And I also replaced the 2 serpentine belts and flushed he cooling system while I was there. It's nice to hear that velvet smooth sound coming from the engine bay again. Keep us informed on how you make out.