PDA

View Full Version : Water Leak, Rear Pillar Interior

tonejon
06-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Haven't seen this in about a year and wrote it off (after rain and hi-pressure car washes), but following the latest round of Florida down pours, the interior leaked like crazy.

(note: I replaced the rear window gasket in March of this year, and took care to clean out the debris before installing the new one).

The pic says it all here...:thumbdwn:

Thoughts??

NoQuarter
06-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Your sunroof seal needs to be replaced. Also, check the drains in the sunroof cassette. If water makes it past the seal it needs to be able to drain out.

toga94m
06-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Read thru this, and see if anything sounds/looks familiar. Check your first aid kit and fusebox for water too, then battery compartment and spare tire / electronics area.

www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617011

tonejon
06-12-2012, 08:52 PM
The rear was just replaced (exhaust, bumper cover, trunk lid, carpet, as well as battery, batt compartment and computer - all from a recent rear-end accident).

First aid kit is under the trunk lid behind a plastic panel.

I will check the fuse box, sunroof/track and drain plugs! - thanks again! :thumbup:

mgokool
06-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Same leak I had...like NoQuarter said before...replace your sunroof seal ;)

2chill
06-12-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm not certain about the sunroof seal. I've unknowingly left my sunroof popped up several times when it poured outside and never had anything like that. You mention the car was in an accident. Did this start after the accident? You might want to talk to the insurance company claiming the vehicle was not repaired properly and now leaks everytime there is heavy rain.

Rick K
08-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Could the drain hose have disconnected up at the sunroof somehow? Maybe compressed air blew the line off and now the water is running into the headliner? You've probably fixed it by now. How did it go?

sononedone
04-03-2013, 01:42 PM
i have the same issue, how can i check the drains in the sunroof cassette?

Rick K
04-03-2013, 01:59 PM
you could open the sun roof and squirt about a cup of water towards the back of the car in the sun roof cassette area! one side, then the other, watch behind the rear wheels for the water to appear, usually takes about 3-4 seconds. If no water appears, don't squirt anymore water. Jack the rear up, remove the wheel, then the plastic wheel well shroud, look for an odd looking rubber piece at the 2-3 o'clock position, squeeze it like a pimple, this is the runoff drain you're looking for, alot of dirt and water should come out. I would flush it with more soapy warm water and squeeze it a couple of times to get all the dirt out.

bmwblack55
04-03-2013, 06:00 PM
It is sunroof seal problem. Exact same thing happen to me. Dealer charged $350 but i gues you can buy seal and instal it , should not that difficult. Bmw 528i has tsb about it

H F
04-04-2013, 01:21 PM
i have the same issue, how can i check the drains in the sunroof cassette?.
I just cleaned out my drains ,, this is the root cause of the stain on the headlinner pillars....

H F
04-04-2013, 07:02 PM
The first picture above the rubber cross shaped gromet is finish product, at the top of each wheel well.. On the rear I cut back the rubber and made a larger opening for the water and stuff to drain out and not get clogged.. I ran some thin weed whacker line up the drain tube till it stopped.. ( bout 3 feet +.. to the two rear corners ) Then grabbed the tire inflater gently blew al ittle air,,put the gromet back in.. When i did the water test.. it took a long time to drain out on the passenger side,,,So took the plastic well cover off.. did both sides ,the water drains and flows out really quick now..