PDA

View Full Version : Battery dead. Whats up?

Xena
06-12-2012, 09:14 PM
I have a 2004 530 I. She has about 70,000 miles on her. I bought her about 4 months ago. Went out 2 days ago and she was totally dead. Jump her and she was totally fine. The only thing I did was go to a car wash today before. This car has been totally trouble free. was it the car wash? something having to do with the car wash. Since I jumped her everything's been cool. All I know right now as I'm not going back to it automatic car wash. Does anybody have any thoughts as to maybe water might have a impacted the battery or the computer and the battery?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App

2chill
06-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Open up your trunk, remove the carpeting and check in the lower right corner for water where the electronics are. The E60 is notorious for leaking water into this area and destroying the electronics and disabling the car. It's an expensive fix which I believe people claim on their insurance.
If no water is present, make sure the car goes into "sleep" mode after the key is removed. You may have an issue with the comfort access if so equipped.
Could also just be time for a new battery.

racooper3
06-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Similar issue. I had driven home in a very heavy rain last week and on Saturday morning my car wouldn't start. There was no water entry into the car cabin or trunk that I could tell. I thought the same thing as the previous poster. I put the charger on for a couple of hours and it started very rough. I went and ran my errand and came back home. Later on Saturday I needed to go to drugstore for some meds. The car wouldn't start again. Wife was gone all day, so didn't have another car to run up to the parts store. After all night slow charge on the battery the car still wouldn't charge. I took battery out and noticed sticker from Nov 2008 on the side. I had local autoparts store test the battery and he said it was completely dead. Wouldn't even register on the test equipment. Bought replacement battery and installed it. The car fired right up like nothing was wrong. I noticed the car runs a lot smoother now. Take battery to autoparts store for a free test and see what you they find out. I researched the battery I wanted (AutoZone H8-AGM) which had exact same cold cranking amps as the BMW exide el cheapo battery. They say you need to have the car's computer programmed after installing a new battery. This prevents over/undercharging our battery, thus extending the life of the battery and your alternator.

Have Fun !

Xena
06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
It was the sleep mode evidently. I haven't had a problem since. Both my husband and I remember when we went out that night the light on the gear shift NEVER went off. Now I'm trying to figure out what I did to interrupt the sleep mode. Funny but I never really even knew it had a sleep mode. Thanks for telling me chill.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App