PDA

View Full Version : 2002 BMW 745li Wont Start! Help!


VitoCorleone
06-13-2012, 02:09 PM
My problem first started when my car wouldn't start after driving it. I would be running errands and the car would mysteriously not start. You can here the engine turning and the traditional sound of a car struggling to start but nothing. I would let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then it would start up.

Then it started cutting off on me while driving. Before cutting off the car seemed not to be able to accelerate, it would shake then it would go into neutral. If I try to press the start button it just makes the sound as if it is trying to start, or roughly start for a few minutes and shut back down. If you let it sit for a 15-30 min it would start up and be fine. I took it to my mechanic who couldn't find anything wrong, so i replaced the battery and it worked perfectly for about 1 week. Fast forward to today. Tried to start the car today and nothing but the sound of the engine turning without turning over. Usually it starts on the first attempt, as most of the problems come after it's been driven for a while. I even put my battery box on it and still nothing. If anyone have any suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated.

samadkins29
06-13-2012, 02:25 PM
When you replaced the battery did you get it registered to the car?

VitoCorleone
06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks for your reply. When I brought the car in 8/11 i put a new aftermarket battery in there and I didn't register it. I put another new aftermarket battery in on 5/12 and I also didn't register it.

alpinaman24
06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
do you have comfort access ?

sounds like the dme (engine ecu) is loosing the EWS signal ..

could be bad key

could be bad key cradle

VitoCorleone
06-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the response. This is a new Key, I got it when I brought the car on 8/2011. What is comfort access? Do you think its the crank position sensor? I've been reading that others had similar problems that the CPS was suggested.

samadkins29
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Jump start the car and drive to the dealer to have them register the battery. Take a long drive after to recharge the battery.

alpinaman24
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
comfort access is basically you start your car without the key in the cradle

yes could be ckp sensor when it gets hot it looses continuity in the circuit and when it cools down its able to complete the circuit

jdcraw
06-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Find an indy that can register ur battery and diagnose ur car.

VitoCorleone
06-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Here is an update for anyone who is, or will experience this problem. My repair guy was unsure and and wanted to charge me $150 to check it out, so I took the car to a BMW dealership and they gave me a 3 page report on all the problems this car is having for $85. The issue that is causing the car to not start, and cut off was the fuel pump. They also said that the after market battery does not have enough voltage to support the power needs of the car, and it might be the root cause behind the other issues showing error codes.

Thank everyone for your help and advice! Here is a bit of advice to anyone dealing with mysterious issues; go to THE BMW DEALERSHIP and pay the $85.00 for the diagnostic check, its really worth it. This actually saved me money because my independent BMW repair guy wanted to do a bunch of trial and error that would cost more than the repair likely. I also have the advance knowledge that I may have some additional major problems later on, so after I fix these issues I am going to sell it. This too will hopefully save me money.

jdcraw
06-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Glad you have it resolved.
My BMW dealership (2 of them) couldn't figure out my problem when the hpfp went bad. My Indy did. How much is the dealer charging you to repair, if I may ask?

VitoCorleone
06-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Hey Jdcraw,

Bmw wanted to charge me $650 for fuel pump + $340 for the fuel filter and $350 for the battery. All of these prices included labor. To me this seemed a little high so I decided to have my independent guy install the items; I guess I just want to be certain of the problem so that's why I went to the dealership. I

jdcraw
06-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Oh, you are having the cheapest fuel pump repaired. There are 2 others under the hood that cost $2600 each just for the part. Be thankful its not one of those bad boys.

First_745Li
06-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Jump start the car and drive to the dealer to have them register the battery. Take a long drive after to recharge the battery.

The dealership here in West Palm didn't want to touch the car b/c it had an aftermarket battery in it. They said it's not the right battery, They kept it for the day, and basically did nothing. I got the bill and it was $0.00 charge... why I asked just curious.."b/c we didn't do anything". I guess I should be happy that they didn't charge me the diag fee and not do anything?

I ended up having battery changed again (to the "right" one) & registered again by the independent shop I been going to for a while.

VitoCorleone
06-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Here is another update. The fuel pump repair didn't resolve the problem. The BMW dealership had recommended that I replace a few sensors, but they said that the fuel pump was the issue and causing it not to start, and cut off when I was driving. I wasn't told much about the sensors, other than it was something that I could get done after the fact. It turns out that my fuel pump was fine, and the sensor is the issue actually causing the problem. Its called an Air bag sensor, and it's located in the right B pillar.. this car has two of them one each side of the car; two in the A-pillar and another two in the B-pillar. It provides power to the fuel pump, and is able to cut your fuel supply in the event of an accident. If this sensor is defective it will cause the issues that I described above in my original post. The factory part number is 65776925269, but since 2002 they've change this number multiple times and the new part number is 65776949910. As for my circumstance I was able to get the cost of my diagnostic refunded back, but what a mess! Hopefully this will at least help someone else out; I still recommend getting the diagnostic test done, but I am realizing that the results vary on the interpretation of the tech performing it. The BMW tech should have known it was the sensor causing the issue based on the other indicators that pointed in that direction. This is how I was able to get the refund on the fee, the manger said he wouldn't have thought it was the fuel pump. After this sensor is installed I will post the results.

Rookie2008
06-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Its your SBSR Sensor I had the same problem. Its located in the B pillar (YES).

VitoCorleone
06-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Hey Rookie,

Thanks for the feedback. Does the airbag sensor have to be programmed after installation?

Rookie2008
06-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes an No if you buy a used one than no coding required. If you buy new one then yes you have to code it to vehicle. BMW will want to keep the car for a day to code it. Better to use a Indy if you buy it new. New goes for around $400.00 - $500.00

VitoCorleone
06-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Ok so the saga continues. I had the B-Pillar sensor installed, and the car started up and ran with no problems. I wish the story ended here, but after driving a few hours running errands the car seemed to suddenly not shift gears correctly, it then start to idle hard and sputter like it was running out of gas until it cut off. Once again I had to have the car towed to the shop. We went back to the codes, where we notice that there was no transmission code from the A-Pillar sbsr receiver and and transmitter among other codes relating to the A-pillar. So today I purchased an A-pillar module, tomorrow it should be installed.

alpinaman24
06-22-2012, 07:04 PM
If you. Buy used it won't work because I'm sure it was coded to another car ..

Can't re code it if I'm not mistaken because usually it grabs the coding from the Cas module in some cases it grabs it from another ..

Good luck

Rookie2008
06-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Used SBSR Sensor can be recoded to the car but the only problem is that its an 80% -20% chance of failure. Meaning 80% chance all will be well an 20% chance module will crash an leave you no other choice but to replace it with a new one. Only one way to find out... Either take the gamble an recoded it hoping it don't crash the module cause it is not the right one or buy new an have no worry's an be done with the situation. Good Luck though.

VitoCorleone
06-23-2012, 12:26 AM
I am using all new factory parts, and it seems like the coding issue is the least of my concerns. I replaced the b-pillar SRS sensor, and the car ran great for about 3 hours. Then it started to seem like it was losing power while driving, and it eventually sputtered out like I am running out of gas, until it cut off. Now when I start it, it runs rough for a few seconds and then shuts right off. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Rookie2008
06-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Im sorry to hear that. In your case I dont know what to tell you as my problem was resolved after that.

VitoCorleone
06-24-2012, 04:29 AM
Thanks Rook, I had the A-Pillar sensor installed and still nothing. I took it to another BMW dealership, lets see what will happen now.

VitoCorleone
06-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Ok took it to another BMW dealership where it sat for a week. They said it was the aftermarket battery, so they sold me a new BMW battery, and still nothing. The cleared the check engine light, and installed a new fuel filter and it started right up. I am still a little skeptical if the fuel filter had anything to do with the problem, but they claimed it was clogged.

Rookie2008
06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Glad you got it resolved

willie34
06-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Wow man that was all bad sorry to here all this

jdcraw
06-29-2012, 03:00 AM
Just curious, do you get your old parts when you go in for service? I would hate to think they aren't replacing the parts that you've paid for. But shops know how to squeeze new owners who don't know these cars, dealerships too.

That's why so many get the diagnostic tool as insurance.

jdcraw

Lucky#7
07-10-2012, 10:56 PM
I am having a similar problem. My car hasnt been starting and the sputtering problem with the start up. I have bought another direct replacement battery and am still having problems. the original codes that I pulled off of the vehicle using a snap on solus scanner with european adapters and key were these:

2889: plausibility monitoring of the ram backup
and now today i went and charged my battery and got these two new codes from the engine module:
2863 v vt power supply bank 2
277c ecu self-test reset from the engine management compiter

Lucky#7
07-10-2012, 10:56 PM
does anyone know where the DME module is for the 2002-2004 745li bmw?

VitoCorleone
07-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I am having a similar problem. My car hasnt been starting and the sputtering problem with the start up. I have bought another direct replacement battery and am still having problems. the original codes that I pulled off of the vehicle using a snap on solus scanner with european adapters and key were these:

2889: plausibility monitoring of the ram backup
and now today i went and charged my battery and got these two new codes from the engine module:
2863 v vt power supply bank 2
277c ecu self-test reset from the engine management compiter



Hey, sorry to hear that you are going through this issue as well. It seems that when the battery is having issues, you may get all types of codes. With my situation the replacement battery solved some of the codes issues, however it did not resolve the sputtering problem. When it comes to sputtering I was told that it is usually related to fuel supply. A few things could cause this problem:

1) The fuel pump. Power can be ran directly to the fuel pump to test to see if the fuel pump is working.

2) The fuel filter. When the sediments from your gas tank build up it creates a clog, which can block the passage of fuel to your engine. The fuel filter can be bypassed to see if this is the source of the issue.

3) The passenger side SRS control module [65-77-6-949-910]. The passenger side SRS module located in the b-pillar sends power to your fuel pump. Power can be ran directly to the fuel pump to test to see that the SRS module is working.


I hope this helps, keep us updated.

VitoCorleone
07-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Just curious, do you get your old parts when you go in for service? I would hate to think they aren't replacing the parts that you've paid for. But shops know how to squeeze new owners who don't know these cars, dealerships too.

That's why so many get the diagnostic tool as insurance.

jdcraw

I always ask that they put my old parts in my trunk, this really seem to annoy shops. I've had the worst experiences ever dealing with some of these dealerships. They are professional scam artists.

Kim do
07-11-2012, 11:07 AM
I have a 2007 750 Li and when I try to switch gears it tells me to release the parking park what does that mean and why is it doing that??

Rookie2008
07-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I have a 2007 750 Li and when I try to switch gears it tells me to release the parking park what does that mean and why is it doing that??

Do you have it on "Auto park"?

Kim do
07-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I have to keep putting it back in auto park every time I start the car. I dont know what could be wrong with it and I have to hit the gas a little harder then usual.

VitoCorleone
07-11-2012, 03:20 PM
I have a 2007 750 Li and when I try to switch gears it tells me to release the parking park what does that mean and why is it doing that??

Hey it sucks your having this problem. It could be a few things but I think that the parking brake module could be going up. When this happens the "release parking brake" will display and then over time the parking brake will eventually lock up. I've heard of a lot of people having this problem with these cars. keep us posted.

Kim do
07-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Ok Thank you so much!!

Dubai2013
03-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Its your SBSR Sensor I had the same problem. Its located in the B pillar (YES).

Hello, have you had a problem with your SBSR module? my 745LI stalls while driving and it takes around 8 or 9 hours to start again!!

Do you know how much does it cost?

My BMW 745li 2003 stops out of nowhere while driving it, just happened 3 hours a go and i left it and went home because i know that it will start after few hours (around 7 or 8 hours) i changed already the Crankshaft speed sensor but it didn't help!! it happened 5 times before and extremely dangerous, the engine shuts down and it goes to neutral, all electrical stays on, steering gets locked and it's really hard to stop the car using the break!!

Last week i wend to a good mechanic and he checked the car with computer and the fault memory came up with some faults, one of them is the Crankshaft speed sensor that's why i replaced it with a new one but as i said 'it didn't help' (

When the car is off, the alternator charges the battery on 12v max, and when i switch the car on and test the voltage value it gives me 13.8v max.

Today after few attempts to start the car 'Charge battery' message came up on the dash, so i didn't try to start the car again to avoid any further messages like "Gearbox failsafe...etc" and left it unfortunately.

I suspect some parts;

1- SBSR Module "B Pillar"
2- Fuel Pump
3- Fuel Filter
4- Alternator
5- Bad Battery

I normally have a permanent message on my dash says "Driver Restraint system fault" that's why i included the SBSR Module in my list to make some researches, it also power and control the fuel pump accordingly.

I am sure that the dealer will completely come up with no results as usual and FED UP!!!!

alpinaman24
03-11-2013, 02:32 PM
^^ if you had a crank shaft code theres a problem with that circuit

check for continuity from the crank to the dme

most probably its a dme problem where as after time it heats up and the connection loosens up

check resisitance with a ohm meter

kellybrown88
02-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Had a problem with the remote start push the button and nothing happend,could hear the fuel pump activate but would not turn over,after pushing the button and waiting ten minutes the car will turn over but the fuel pump wont turn on the car wont start but turns over ant idieas before i call bmw