PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Pet Peeves - What Really Bugged You!

JSpira
06-13-2012, 06:33 PM
I seem to run into more than my fair share of annoying little issues in hotels but it would appear that, in actuality, I am far from alone.

Whether you can't get decent Internet, can't find enough electical outlets, or can't darken the room enough to sleep - there's a legion of travelers out there who voted for your favorite hotel pet peeve.

[/URL] Hotel Pet Peeves What Bugs You the Most in 2012 (http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2012/06/hotel-pet-peeves-what-bugs-you-the-most-in-2012/)

By Paul Riegler
While some things in a hotel are hopefully a given, such as a comfortable bed and fresh towels, other aspects of life on the road are not. Our readers travel on a regular basis for work and today this means Internet connectivity and lots of electrical outlets for charging and powering devices. Unfortunately, this seems to be where most hotels fall flat. Our pet peeve poll sought to determine which
[URL="http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2012/06/hotel-pet-peeves-what-bugs-you-the-most-in-2012/"] Read the full story (http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/author/paul-riegler/)

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/wp-content/themes/arthemia-premium/scripts/timthumb.php?src=wp-content/uploads/2012/06/DSC_0677-ED-300x230.jpg&w=200&h=225&zc=1&q=90 (http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2012/06/hotel-pet-peeves-what-bugs-you-the-most-in-2012/)

VIZSLA
06-14-2012, 02:58 AM
Paying for in room wifi.

Cy3
06-14-2012, 03:12 AM
1/2 ply t.p.

Me530
06-14-2012, 03:50 AM
Bugs bug me.

3ismagic#
06-14-2012, 05:12 AM
Paying for in room wifi.

+1

And crappy pillows

X3 Skier
06-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Paying for in room wifi.

+2

It is amazing to me that the more expensive the room the Hotel, the higher the WiFi price.

I suppose they figure if you pay $400 for a room, you are not going to squawk about a $15 WiFi bill. :rolleyes:

Actually, I don't pay for it in Hilton Hotels any more by virtue of my Status in HHonors but if I do slip back into the ranks of the great unwashed, I will not be staying at a Hilton but rather one of their lesser properties like Hampton Inn where WiFi is free.:angel:

Cheers

VIZSLA
06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
+2

It is amazing to me that the more expensive the room the Hotel, the higher the WiFi price.

Actually, I suppose they figure if you pay $400 for a room, you are not going to squawk about a $15 WiFi bill. :rolleyes:

Actually, I don't pay for it in Hilton Hotels any more by virtue of my Status in HHonors but if I do slip back into the ranks of the great unwashed, I will not be staying at a Hilton but rather one of their lesser properties like Hampton Inn where WiFi is free.:angel:

Cheers

I was going to add that.
Also ridiculously long passwords. I stayed in a place in France that offered free wifi but required a password so long it took five attempts to enter it in my iPhone.

Me530
06-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Paying for WiFi at a hotel is like paying for water at a restaurant. :(

FastMarkA
06-16-2012, 10:22 AM
When it comes to free wifi, you get what you pay for.

That said, I do appreciate having some kind of free connection, but I really wish there would be a paid option for higher speed (for those of us who can expense it).

Ever since HHonors started letting Golds/Diamonds have at wifi for free, or SPG with their Golds/Plats...it takes almost a minute to download a three paragraph email.

Again, if I'm traveling for personal reasons, I can wait the minute. But if I'm working from the road, and need to log into VPNs/Citrix, it gets very sluggish and annoying.

Here are some more of my pet peeves:

Some bottled water is free; other bottles (i.e. a Fiji in the fridge) is $8.00. I'm risk averse, so drink from the tap usually.
Having indoor pools that don't allow for lap swimming (I'm talking to you Aloft). Why bother?
Some hotels still require a face-to-face checkout.

VIZSLA
06-16-2012, 12:13 PM
When it comes to free wifi, you get what you pay for.

That said, I do appreciate having some kind of free connection, but I really wish there would be a paid option for higher speed (for those of us who can expense it).

Ever since HHonors started letting Golds/Diamonds have at wifi for free, or SPG with their Golds/Plats...it takes almost a minute to download a three paragraph email.

Again, if I'm traveling for personal reasons, I can wait the minute. But if I'm working from the road, and need to log into VPNs/Citrix, it gets very sluggish and annoying.

Here are some more of my pet peeves:

Some bottled water is free; other bottles (i.e. a Fiji in the fridge) is $8.00. I'm risk averse, so drink from the tap usually.
Having indoor pools that don't allow for lap swimming (I'm talking to you Aloft). Why bother?
Some hotels still require a face-to-face checkout.

You'd think that hotels would appreciate how important access is. In my experience hotel systems are often over taxed and under maintained. This seems unrelated to fees, size or quality of hotel.