PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Menu Question

wjjklj
06-13-2012, 08:11 PM
While in the hidden menu looking at the ohms values on my right and left fuel sensors I noticed that I have a zero value on my coolant and windshield washer fluid. Is this normal? Can somebody look at theirs at tell me what readings you have? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I learned that if the ohms on either fuel sensor is higher than 450 ohms it means that is the fuel sensor that is bad. I have been getting the intermittent low fuel warning when the car is full of gas.

First_745Li
06-13-2012, 08:39 PM
While in the hidden menu looking at the ohms values on my right and left fuel sensors I noticed that I have a zero value on my coolant and windshield washer fluid. Is this normal? Can somebody look at theirs at tell me what readings you have? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I learned that if the ohms on either fuel sensor is higher than 450 ohms it means that is the fuel sensor that is bad. I have been getting the intermittent low fuel warning when the car is full of gas.

How do you get to the hidden menu? Please excuse my rookie question, I'm new to BMW. I also received the low fuel warning when my batttery was getting bad and needed to be replaced. Since I've had the battery replaced and registered I haven't seen the warning.

wjjklj
06-13-2012, 08:51 PM
How do you get to the hidden menu? Please excuse my rookie question, I'm new to BMW. I also received the low fuel warning when my batttery was getting bad and needed to be replaced. Since I've had the battery replaced and registered I haven't seen the warning.

You hold down the trip reset stalk until you see the service interval reset menu come up on the dash. Keep holding down until you see the next hidden menu. Scroll through to selection 19 which is unlock. Hold the stalk a couple of seconds when on unlock and you will see it is asking you to enter a code. Add up the sum of the last 5 digits of the vin. This is the code. This will unlock the hidden menu. The area that shows the fuel sensors ohms is the adc selection.

First_745Li
06-13-2012, 09:26 PM
You hold down the trip reset stalk until you see the service interval reset menu come up on the dash. Keep holding down until you see the next hidden menu. Scroll through to selection 19 which is unlock. Hold the stalk a couple of seconds when on unlock and you will see it is asking you to enter a code. Add up the sum of the last 5 digits of the vin. This is the code. This will unlock the hidden menu. The area that shows the fuel sensors ohms is the adc selection.

Ok, I must be doing it wrong. I have the ignition ON, Located on the turn signal stalk, the slider button that changes the display from the Mileage to MPG is what I kept holding down to see the hidden menu, but nothing.

The other little slider button changes from the fuel level to the miles left to empty, I also held this one down to see if anything on the dash changed but again nothing.

Keif
06-13-2012, 10:21 PM
He means use the round trip meter reset button to the upper-left of the RPMs gauge.

First_745Li
06-14-2012, 08:45 AM
He means use the round trip meter reset button to the upper-left of the RPMs gauge.

AHHHH! Thanks Keif. I'll give that a try.

wjjklj
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Exactly.

First_745Li
06-14-2012, 11:48 AM

Mine also registers a ZERO value for the coolant and windshield washer fluid..

mikewerks
06-14-2012, 12:29 PM
You won't get anything for those sensors unless you are low on fluids hence a closed circuit.

wjjklj
06-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Mine also registers a ZERO value for the coolant and windshield washer fluid..

Thanks for checking.

wjjklj
06-14-2012, 04:21 PM
You won't get anything for those sensors unless you are low on fluids hence a closed circuit.

Thanks for the reply.

stuartjohn24
06-14-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm sure it's showing the status of the input to the cluster from the sensor itself, I'm guessing 0 adc (analog to digital converter) means there is a connection to ground, not until the level goes below the threshold will it change state, (I think the circuit to GND breaks when the level goes low and the input is pulled up) 255 adc for example, depends on the adc resolution.

Hope this helps, another note, after doing my thermostat this weekend, and starting the car I went into this menu to watch the temp rise, however it read -128! Because I disconnected it it thought the sensor was faulty, I had to drive the car for 5 mins for it to assume the sensor was ok and display the correct value!

wjjklj
06-14-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm sure it's showing the status of the input to the cluster from the sensor itself, I'm guessing 0 adc (analog to digital converter) means there is a connection to ground, not until the level goes below the threshold will it change state, (I think the circuit to GND breaks when the level goes low and the input is pulled up) 255 adc for example, depends on the adc resolution.

Hope this helps, another note, after doing my thermostat this weekend, and starting the car I went into this menu to watch the temp rise, however it read -128! Because I disconnected it it thought the sensor was faulty, I had to drive the car for 5 mins for it to assume the sensor was ok and display the correct value!

Very interesting. I continue to be amazed how much engineering went into this car. Some days I think over engineered when it comes to hidden menus and such.