PDA

View Full Version : Motor oil & Coolant

sak_916
06-14-2012, 09:12 AM
So the first time I was going to do my oil change I asked the forum which oil is the best for BMW and I had a lot of replies (mmobile1, royal purple, etc) but here is what you really need. my wifes uncle is an expert in engines and rebuilding etc so he knows quiet a lot and he also recommended this and he uses it as well.

the coolant is also the best for our cars. if you want better results you need to mix it 50/50 with distilled water.

any way just an FYI

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll313/sak_lynx/45974138.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll313/sak_lynx/9b894ce8.jpg

alpinaman24
06-14-2012, 09:37 AM
i use TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 ENERGY 5/40 in my alpina , and my mothers 05 745

bmw oil is castrol in bmw bottle from what i know ..

bmw coolant is great

sak_916
06-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Castrol from Germany is maybe what you mean. It's really hard to find that here in the US

N62B44 SGM
06-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Here's what I'm using Sak, after calling 3 BMW dealers and them agreeing I've been on this one...

Sent from my HTC One X using Bimmer App

sirstopher
06-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Mobile 1 5/40 10 quarts at Wally world for 56.00

rdorman
06-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Here's what I'm using Sak, after calling 3 BMW dealers and them agreeing I've been on this one...

This is what Castrol (USA mind you) themselves say:

"Engine Oil-
Thank you for inquiring about what oil is best for your vehicle. Based on the information you provided, your vehicle requires a special engine oil that can only be purchased at your local dealer. Please visit your local dealer to ensure that your vehicle is serviced properly."

Mobil 1 5w-40 is not approved nor Royal Purple. The rest is good stuff.

No point, aside from convenience, in not running the BWM antifreeze it is top drawer and reasonably priced when you consider it comes full strength.

sak_916
06-14-2012, 12:06 PM

I've used that one but mobile one is not the best option for BMWs. But for any other car they are one of the best.

sak_916
06-14-2012, 12:10 PM
This is what Castrol (USA mind you) themselves say:

"Engine Oil-
Thank you for inquiring about what oil is best for your vehicle. Based on the information you provided, your vehicle requires a special engine oil that can only be purchased at your local dealer. Please visit your local dealer to ensure that your vehicle is serviced properly."

Mobil 1 5w-40 is not approved nor Royal Purple. The rest is good stuff.

No point, aside from convenience, in not running the BWM antifreeze it is top drawer and reasonably priced when you consider it comes full strength.

I really agree with you. As far as I know castrol is good but only the German ones. And again its not my purpose to say use this or that since Everyone should decide themselves how to maintain their cars so this is just an FYI since with the purpose to help people.

sak_916
06-14-2012, 12:12 PM
And for the coolant what I can say is that it is VERY IMPORTANT to use a good coolant since the movement of water generates electricity bad coolants can ruin your car, give you bad readings etc and the one I showed in the picture is the best for our cars.

rdorman
06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
I really agree with you. As far as I know castrol is good but only the German ones. And again its not my purpose to say use this or that since Everyone should decide themselves how to maintain their cars so this is just an FYI since with the purpose to help people.

I know, we are in total agreement. Can't go wrong with the BMW oil nor antifreeze. I cringe at some of the stuff people put in their cars but heck, it is their car.

Rookie2008
06-14-2012, 01:32 PM

:thumbup:That's the only oil I ever use cause that's what my oil cap says. Also my coolant is BMW an its like a blue color

stuartjohn24
06-14-2012, 02:05 PM
I have just done my oil and coolant also. I agree that castrol is the best choice, I use 5W30 Castrol Magnatec here in the UK, it meets the BMW long life spec (LL01). Coolant I get from a local parts supplier, its the same stuff as the BMW coolant (manufactured by BASF but under its trade name, it's called GLYSANTIN G48), it's the exact same colour, i mixed 50/50 with de-ionised water.

I have read on here somewhere before about what oils to use, basically if your following the BMW service plan (long oil change intervals) make sure it meets the LL01 spec. I have seen people using part synthetic oil but changing it regularly 5k miles etc...

N62B44 SGM
06-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Rookie & Stuart, yup if Castrol is both on the cap and the BMW approved oil lists, and still given an ok thru a few techs I'm good. I know others here use Castrol also and I haven't heard bad news yet so those "cringers" can say what they like. Of course I have a gallon of the BMW coolant in my trunk :thumbup:

roadfrog
06-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Bwahahaha. Misinformation at it's finest.

Look, just becasue it says "Castrol" on the cap, doesn't mean you can just throw any old bottle of Castrol in there. There are very few Castrol products that meet either LL01 or LL04 (or for that matter, LL98) in North America. Also, Royal Purple does not meet those specs. Walmart (and Canadian Tire in Canada) have only just started carrying the Castrol that's approved for BMW. It'll say "European Formula" on the front.

Mobil1 0W40 exceeds all of BMW's specs. Not only that, it's listed on the BMW NA website for approved oils. It's very simple: if it says LL01 (or similar) on the back of the bottle, or ACEA A3/B4, then you're good to go. ACEA A3/B4 is a far more stringent and up to date spec that exceeds BMW's LL standards.

As for coolant, Zerex G05 also exceeds BMW spec. It is Borate free, etc. just like BMW wants.

Of course, you can just go ahead and use BMW oil and coolant. Whatever floats your boat.

If you search this forum, you'll get all the info you want at nauseum.

Rookie2008
06-14-2012, 08:36 PM
O well no problems yet! call it what you want but it wouldn't have diesel on the cap when it actually needed gasoline.

N62B44 SGM
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Roadfrog, you said it, LL01...exactly what my bottle says...

Rookie2008
06-14-2012, 10:44 PM

:thumbup:

Mr_Burger
06-15-2012, 06:07 AM
I have just done my oil and coolant also. I agree that castrol is the best choice, I use 5W30 Castrol Magnatec here in the UK, it meets the BMW long life spec (LL01). Coolant I get from a local parts supplier, its the same stuff as the BMW coolant (manufactured by BASF but under its trade name, it's called GLYSANTIN G48), it's the exact same colour, i mixed 50/50 with de-ionised water.

I have read on here somewhere before about what oils to use, basically if your following the BMW service plan (long oil change intervals) make sure it meets the LL01 spec. I have seen people using part synthetic oil but changing it regularly 5k miles etc...

Hiya
Are you talking about something like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIFREEZE-5L-LITRE-COMMA-GREEN-G48-EXTRALIFE-CONCENTRATED-/330685434816) ?

Cheers

roadfrog
06-15-2012, 06:27 AM

Yes that's ONE of the few Castrol products that BMW approves for our cars. It is ACEA A3/B4 spec, which for those that don't know, is Europe's version of our SAE and API. Of all the Castrol products available in North America, there are only two (that I've ever seen), that meet BMW requirements. Walmart here in Canada now carries both of them. One is a 5W40 and the other I believe is a 5W20, but don't quote me there. The other very confusing thing with Castrol recently is that they keep changing their names.....Edge, Syntec, SPT, and on and on. The important thing to do is to read the BACK of the label.

O well no problems yet! call it what you want but it wouldn't have diesel on the cap when it actually needed gasoline.

OMG. Tell you what....lets use your diesel reference. Go ahead and put in Castrol Oil that's formulated for diesels. I mean, it says Castrol right on the bottle, right? Perfect! LOL

Rookie2008
06-15-2012, 07:33 AM
O boy. you win bro you win! as you seen in the pic from N62 that oil is fine so use what you use an I will use what I use is that ok with you?

alpinaman24
06-15-2012, 08:20 AM
we also use reihnol thats a germany based oil company too

stuartjohn24
06-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Mr Burger,

Yep that's the stuff, reasonable priced too, I see your in the UK, I diluted with halfords battery top up water which is purified and de-ionised water. Was pretty cheap a few quid for 5L. I live in a very hard water area so I wouldn't dream of using tap water!

AngelE66
06-22-2012, 06:23 PM
I have 60K miles on my e66, which is better to use 5w30 or 5w40?

csmeance
06-22-2012, 10:24 PM

Mobil 1 5W-40 isn't the oil you should be using in your car unless it REALLY needs it because it's burning through oil or you have high miles (upwards of 100K with oil consumption issues). Stick with Mobil 1 0W-40 European blend, it's the right stuff for your car.

Bwahahaha. Misinformation at it's finest.

Look, just becasue it says "Castrol" on the cap, doesn't mean you can just throw any old bottle of Castrol in there. There are very few Castrol products that meet either LL01 or LL04 (or for that matter, LL98) in North America. Also, Royal Purple does not meet those specs. Walmart (and Canadian Tire in Canada) have only just started carrying the Castrol that's approved for BMW. It'll say "European Formula" on the front.

Mobil1 0W40 exceeds all of BMW's specs. Not only that it is listed on the BMW NA website for approved oils. It's very simple: if it says LL01 (or similar) on the back of the bottle, or ACEA A3/B4, then you're good to go. ACEA A3/B4 is a far more stringent and up to date spec that exceeds BMW's LL standards.

As for coolant, Zerex G05 also exceeds BMW spec. It is Borate free, etc. just like BMW wants.

Of course, you can just go ahead and use BMW oil and coolant. Whatever floats your boat.

If you search this forum, you'll get all the info you want at nauseum.

^ THANK YOU! Someone that actually pays attention! From what I have read, there is a VERY hard to find castrol in the states that is 5W-30 that says made in germany on the back and that's the good stuff to put in cars (same or better than what is in the BMW bottle according to some posts on Bob is the oil guy forums).

I have 60K miles on my e66, which is better to use 5w30 or 5w40?

It depends on what brand of oil you are using and the condition of your car. If you aren't having consumption issues, stick with the BMW 5W-30 or the Mobil 1 0W-40 or Euro Blend Castrol 0W-40. If you are having some slight consumption issues, go to a heavier, better oil like amsoil or redline in 0W-40 as they are heavier 40 weights than mobil and castrol.