PDA

View Full Version : Not Driving the 7 for almost two weeks

First_745Li
06-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Any suggestions while I'm on vacation and the car is parked in the garage? I recently had the battery replaced and registered. Drove it a few times afterwards. There's a switch in the battery compartment, what is that for?

Please excuse the rookie question, as I am a rookie when it comes to BMW. :)

Lastcombo
06-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Any suggestions while I'm on vacation and the car is parked in the garage? I recently had the battery replaced and registered. Drove it a few times afterwards. There's a switch in the battery compartment, what is that for?

Please excuse the rookie question, as I am a rookie when it comes to BMW. :)Yep switch it of if your not going to use the car for a little while, that's what it is for,make sure when youre back from vacation to take the car for a good spin on the highway to prefend carbon build up floor it a bit,in a area you know where there's no highway patrol present, have a nice holiday:thumbup::beerchug:

First_745Li
06-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Will do...Thank you, I appreciate it.

WALKDBEAST
06-15-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm actually way for a few months but I put the car on a battery tender, gave it some gas treatment and over inflated the tires a little bit. Some members might think that would be over kill for two weeks but owning a battery tender comes in handy...IMO.

First_745Li
06-15-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm actually way for a few months but I put the car on a battery tender, gave it some gas treatment and over inflated the tires a little bit. Some members might think that would be over kill for two weeks but owning a battery tender comes in handy...IMO.

I travel alot for work, sometimes i'll be out for a month. I will definately look into a battery tender.
Thanks,

king0fspades
06-15-2012, 09:45 AM
I use battery tender with a timer. Charge 6 hours everyday on vacation days.

First_745Li
06-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks King. btw congrats on your ride. Looks bad ass.

Tenn
06-15-2012, 12:17 PM
If you use the "OFF" battery switch does that cause your memories to be lost i.e. seats, radio, etc?

jkess114
06-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Wow. When I'm out of town for two weeks I don't do anything different and don't seem to have any problems.

beamlord
06-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Two weeks is pretty much ok (if it's warm in the garage) but anything over that and you're pushing it. It's a lot safer to turn the battery switch OFF.
And no, memory/presets etc are not lost.

Suri [TBR]
06-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Probably a dumb question but where is this battery switch to turn it off?

KingSilverback
06-16-2012, 01:07 AM
;6898364']Probably a dumb question but where is this battery switch to turn it off?

Pop the trunk, open the panel on the right side of the trunk where the fuses are, you'll see the on/off switch for the battery in there

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

Tenn
06-16-2012, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the info Lord on switching off the battery and not losing my various presets. I was skert to turn mine off and potentially lose my memories! Bimmer-Altzheimers phobia!

Mr_Burger
06-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info Lord on switching off the battery and not losing my various presets. I was skert to turn mine off and potentially lose my memories! Bimmer-Altzheimers phobia!

The E65 has that ^ already, as it has been known to forget settings for you :)

As for the battery, I was recently laid up for just short of 4 weeks and didn't bother with the battery switch in the car, on my return the comfort access was still enabled and everything worked perfectly. I checked the battery level via the dash menu and it read 11600.

Not tragic, but I started her up and left it for an hour charging at 14 ish volts...

If you can't leave your car for a month or so without an issue, I'd say something is amiss...

Suri [TBR]
06-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Pop the trunk, open the panel on the right side of the trunk where the fuses are, you'll see the on/off switch for the battery in there

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

Thank you sir :D

Catanzaro
06-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Battery tender junior plus all the time

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App

WALKDBEAST
06-16-2012, 10:35 PM
battery tender connected all the time all the time as well. I see some members use battery tenders and some talk about turning off the battery from the trunk. So probably a dumb question but does it make any sense or is there any advantage to turing off the battery and keeping the battery tender connected?

BMWNY
06-17-2012, 07:20 AM
No. I would keep the battery tender on all the time. It is a floating time of charger that will not damage the battery. I had one on for years and no problems and barely drove the car.

First_745Li
06-17-2012, 08:04 AM

Please excuse the rookie question, as I am a rookie when it comes to BMW. :)

Ok,
So going back to my original post.. I've been driving the 7 since I've posted, however I'm a bit concerned - last night I took the car out for a ride, the fuel light came on indicating no fuel (I had a full tank)... this among other indications led me to believe the battery was low and needed replacing. I've done that (registered it as well)..

Same symptoms.. (low fuel indications, cd track starts from track 1, etc.) Any thoughts on why this might still be happening?:confused:

My concern is I'll be away which might make matters worse... maybe getting a battery tender before I leave is best..