PDA

View Full Version : 2006 BMW 750li Transmission Error P170e

DreDayz
06-15-2012, 03:16 PM
I have a 2006 750li and I'm having problems with my transmission. It won't go in gear and I'm getting this code. P170E.
I searched really hard but can't find anything. Car has been sitting for weeks. Indy shop said I need a new transmission but it drove fine, no leaks, or noises. Please help or let me know if this happened to you.

Andre

DreDayz
06-15-2012, 03:17 PM
I have replaced the battery and changed the transmission fluid. Still getting the same error. P170e. It lets me clear it but the error comes back and car is stuck in park.

Can anyone please help.

Thanks,
Andre

beamlord
06-15-2012, 04:04 PM
What do you mean by stuck in park? What message is in the idrive - is it in transmission failsafe mode? Or there's nothing other than the error code in the readout, and you can't select ANY gears?

DreDayz
06-15-2012, 04:08 PM
After I start the car the error pops up. D-N-R start blinking on the screen and it doesn't let me engage in drive or reverse. On the Idrive I get a message "transmission fault" may be resolved by restarting. When I connect my ODB2 device I get the error code P170e. Can't find that code anywhere online. Basically the car starts with no issues then error pops up and doesn't let me put it in drive.

Thanks,
Andre

csmeance
06-15-2012, 06:12 PM
After I start the car the error pops up. D-N-R start blinking on the screen and it doesn't let me engage in drive or reverse. On the Idrive I get a message "transmission fault" may be resolved by restarting. When I connect my ODB2 device I get the error code P170e. Can't find that code anywhere online. Basically the car starts with no issues then error pops up and doesn't let me put it in drive.

Thanks,
Andre

you need to get the BMW software and read the code for the transmission.

DreDayz
06-15-2012, 06:43 PM
How do I get the BMW software. Have you seen this error before?

Thanks,
Andre

csmeance
06-15-2012, 08:56 PM
How do I get the BMW software. Have you seen this error before?

Thanks,
Andre

The issue could be a few things, as far as getting the software, look up the keywords DIS, INPA and programming and you should find quite a bit of info on getting the software and the tools to get the car hooked up to your laptop.

The problem could be a couple of things as I said before; it could be low on transmission fluid, the "sealing sleeve" might be leaking fluid onto the electronics, a bad sensor or a bad gear stalk!

DreDayz
06-15-2012, 09:52 PM
I just changed the transmission fluid. Also replaced the battery. Still getting the same error P170e on my ODB2 scanner. Not sure what to check next. Any idea what sensors I would need to check. Very frustrating. Everything looks normal but still getting the same error.

Thanks,
Andre

Keif
06-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Did this happen before you changed the transmission fluid? Are you sure that the proper fill procedure was followed when refilling the transmission fluid (pump fluid in with car off, start car, pump more fluid in while engine is running until it runs out the fill hole)? I ask because that is the same type of scenario you will get with low transmission fluid level.

If the above doesn't apply, get the car scanned using BMW-specific software like INPA or DIS and you should get a good description of the error. I just looked up P170E on BMWTIS.com / BmwTechInfo.com's P-code lookup, but to no avail.

If you by chance have a problem with one of the solenoids or valves in the mechatronic unit / valve body (one of the things they say "just replace the transmission" for), rest assured they can be individually replaced. Look up information from Wilson009 about transmission stuff if this is the case (possibly in the DIY section, can't recall).

DreDayz
06-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Thank You.

Yes it was doing it before I changed the transmission fluid. For whatever reason I can't find the P170e error code anywhere online. I wonder why?

I also noticed the error takes longer to pop up when the car starts. The error pops up sooner when the car is warm.

I really dont want to take it in and the the mechanic says I need a new transmission.
I just want to be able to know what's wrong with the car before I take it to a mechanic.

Thanks again,
Andre