PDA

View Full Version : Pre sale repairs...considered good or bad?

rkruz
06-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Im considering private buy of 2008 750i, 49Km, 2nd owner, 3 yr full up after market warranty remaining.. Seller took to BMW to fix a problem discovered during my test drive and they found many more that they repaired for a $5,600 repair bill.

Would these repairs be considered a positive when considering to buy the car?
Or are these problem beyond the norm expected for this age a car, is it lemon like. ?
The BMW service dude said these are typical of he complex 750s.

The repairs were:

Parking Brake
Oil Leak
Front axle bushings replaced
Front control arms
Transmission fluid leak
coupler replacement (guibo)
declined front strut and upper bearing DS

Review of history in 2011 also showing a
engine light w/rough running and towed to dealer where electrical problem was fixed
and coolant leak where hose was replaced.

Your advise is appreciated as I learn my way around BMWs . Thanks again!

Rookie2008
06-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Sounds like a car prone to problems Although low miles an warranty just seems like it's not in the greatest condition. Take it to a Indy once its fixed an have it checked out thoroughly Good Luck.

wjjklj
06-16-2012, 04:32 PM
I would look at it as a positive and the car is under warranty. Some of these cars need some love between 30-60k and then they are good for a long time.

rkruz
06-16-2012, 06:37 PM
I would look at it as a positive and the car is under warranty. Some of these cars need some love between 30-60k and then they are good for a long time.

thats good input. Id like to think its a positive that those problems are out of the way..... and risk is low since Id be protected even for 3 more years from the majority of repair costs.

Catanzaro
06-16-2012, 07:01 PM
High cost if ownership. The car is hit or miss. Coolant pipe, valve stem seals, cd changer, water pump, logic 7, leaking alternator, and the list goes on. Be prepared for 3k-5k per year as time goes on, average over time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App

1bad540
06-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Its common stuff that needs to be addressed when driving one of these cars. I would say a big positive. Drive it and Im sure you'll love it.:thumbup:

rkruz
06-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Its common stuff that needs to be addressed when driving one of these cars. I would say a big positive. Drive it and Im sure you'll love it.:thumbup:
thanks for the advise and encouragement. Ill do just that!

Seven11
06-16-2012, 11:22 PM
all those repairs are positive!

if the car has a good warranty i would go for it, seems like its a good one since they are coughing up $6500

rkruz
06-17-2012, 07:22 AM
sweet! thanks. Its selling at high KBB tradein value with the included warranty transferable. It would cost me $3.5K to buy the warranty so even I mr conservative have to admit it seems a good deal for me. Its just a major shift for me from a lifetime of buying cars where you expect no problems (camry, honda) to a thoroughbred performance ultimate luxury thats needs much more attention. I thought before I float off towards the white light I might experience the "ultimate"

king0fspades
06-17-2012, 10:04 PM
sweet! thanks. Its selling at high KBB tradein value with the included warranty transferable. It would cost me $3.5K to buy the warranty so even I mr conservative have to admit it seems a good deal for me. Its just a major shift for me from a lifetime of buying cars where you expect no problems (camry, honda) to a thoroughbred performance ultimate luxury thats needs much more attention. I thought before I float off towards the white light I might experience the "ultimate"

Good idea that you are not looking at 06s and 2007s. 2008 would be the best value for money.

I had a 2006 E65 with 50k miles and I had none of these issues. I meant none. I wonder what was previous owner doing to the car.

rkruz
06-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Good idea that you are not looking at 06s and 2007s. 2008 would be the best value for money.

I had a 2006 E65 with 50k miles and I had none of these issues. I meant none. I wonder what was previous owner doing to the car.

Well according to owner, it was mainly wife driving kids and their friends and other chores with low miles over that period. She did seem to have a propensity to scrape the curb as all four wheels rims are scraped (having those repaired or replaced) which maybe had something to do with suspension fixes. He had the car checked out at the same dealer who did repairs four months ago preping to sell and they did not find any of the problems that were repaired last week. So its a mystery and a bit of a risk I guess but with those repairs done and with the excellent 3 year warranty it seems like a good deal with reasonably acceptable risk and hopefully the car is trouble free for the next 50K miles.

We made an adjustment in price for the wheels to buy new ones, but in researching, I found I could probably have them repaired for much less. Thank you for the advise!

dgoodsell
06-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Sounds like the previous owner treated it like a Honda!!! These cars are stubborn and require a lot of attention or they will bit you in the a$$.

jkess114
06-18-2012, 08:56 AM

I have a 2006 that is coming up on 100k and I've had zero problems. CD carousel door occasionally gets stuck slightly ajar. But I frankly cannot believe that the car til now has needed no repairs. Only brakes, tires, and regular service for me. I may be beginning to feel just a bit of slack in the guibo but that is all. Fine car with incredible dependability.

Best,
j

jkess114
06-18-2012, 09:00 AM
BTW $5,600 seems awfully expensive for a repair. Find two good indy's - one with the big computer and one without. Some things require the computer for programming some don't. Places that have one generally charge a bit more money as the shops are more sophisticated. You don't always need that. I have a shop nearby that will let me use their lift when they get a slow moment for a few bucks, and I can work on my car there. If I change my guibo there or swap transmission fluid, I'll have them do it vs. the shop with the computer. The dealer is just too pricey.

rkruz
06-18-2012, 09:32 AM
BTW $5,600 seems awfully expensive for a repair. Find two good indy's - one with the big computer and one without. Some things require the computer for programming some don't. Places that have one generally charge a bit more money as the shops are more sophisticated. You don't always need that. I have a shop nearby that will let me use their lift when they get a slow moment for a few bucks, and I can work on my car there. If I change my guibo there or swap transmission fluid, I'll have them do it vs. the shop with the computer. The dealer is just too pricey.

The dealer did about 6 different things related to suspension, fluid leaks, guibo and parking brake. I know the parking brake itself was $1600 to replace a dudad. Its ok by me becuase the seller paid and he was reimbursed by warranty for majority of it. In the end, I guess its "not what they do but what they know". I looked the car over and under and didnt see any leaks so it could be a dealer service dept directive to find income. In the end, I feel more comfortable with this car since its been over by the dealer, they fixed several things before I bought it.

I will be on lookout for good independent that is approved by the warranty company.

MOPAULY
06-18-2012, 05:52 PM
This car will treat you the way it was treated...don't be afraid of the car.

jkess114
06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Very well said. And that is why I looked for my car outside of a demographic that I would characterize as a borderline abusive to abusive.

Buying a car from an older couple vs. a younger "more firey" fella.

This car will treat you the way it was treated...don't be afraid of the car.