PDA

View Full Version : Help with Gear Shift. Thanks!

hyperbeamer
06-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Hi all,

I have a problem with parking and starting up at times with my car, and I wonder if anyone has the same experience.

When I switch gears to D or R, it occasionally flips back to N on its own. This makes driving off and parking an issue. The car has no problems while I am driving, no loss of power or changing of gears on its own.

The workshop thinks it could be an electrical issue.

Does anyone have a similar problem and what can be done to solve it?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

DFEL750I
06-17-2012, 05:21 AM
Hi all,

I have a problem with parking and starting up at times with my car, and I wonder if anyone has the same experience.

When I switch gears to D or R, it occasionally flips back to N on its own. This makes driving off and parking an issue. The car has no problems while I am driving, no loss of power or changing of gears on its own.

The workshop thinks it could be an electrical issue.

Does anyone have a similar problem and what can be done to solve it?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Sounds like you might be having a problem with the mechatronics unit in the transmission. Sometimes the sealing sleeve leaks and fluid gets into the unit and shorts it out. Its a common problem. The transmission pan needs to be dropped to change it so you might as well change the pan and fluid while you're at it.

hyperbeamer
06-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks a lot. I got the dealer to check the transmission, and it was ok. So I changed the gearbox oil, and the problem I had was due to the gear selector lever being faulty. Phew! Cos that cost only a few hundred bucks to change it.

The mechatronics would have cost me 5K.... and the dealer said that I might as well change the whole gear box if it was the mechatronics.... that would have been upwards of 10k.

But I am glad that the issue got fixed... Fortunately for me, my service advisor had a 7 which had a similar problem also.