PDA

View Full Version : Left Daytime Running Light Repair

AGRIFFIN550I
06-17-2012, 05:35 AM
08 550I --- Any idea on how difficult it is to repair - Left Daylight Running Light? OIf difficult for DIY how costly at dealer? Thanks

NoQuarter
06-17-2012, 06:54 AM
What do you mean repair? Is just the bulb burned out?

borderchris
06-17-2012, 08:01 AM
It's not exactly a repair, as NQ pointed out- If you're comfortable removing the headlamp assy, it's a bulb inside of the highbeam cover. If not, you're looking at about $150 in parts and labor.

AGRIFFIN550I
06-17-2012, 09:17 AM
It's not exactly a repair, as NQ pointed out- If you're comfortable removing the headlamp assy, it's a bulb inside of the highbeam cover. If not, you're looking at about $150 in parts and labor.

Thank you - will attempt to replace the "bulb" myself.
AG

AGRIFFIN550I
06-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the help - simple bulb replacement only - glad to hear should be able to pull that one off :)

SandNs new 528
06-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the help - simple bulb replacement only - glad to hear should be able to pull that one off :)

If not expired, its covered by new car warrenty. Had one blow ,dealer replaced both as standard practice. Good Luck

Campfamily
06-18-2012, 06:37 AM
If not expired, its covered by new car warrenty. Had one blow ,dealer replaced both as standard practice. Good Luck

There is also a software update to extend the light of these bulbs, since they were burning out prematurely. Do a quick search on this forum, there have been a bunch of posts describing what the software fix is and why.

patryan
06-18-2012, 08:47 AM
If it's the same as my '08 535xi, with no experience doing it... 5 minutes for the first side, 2 minutes for the 2nd. Very easy bulb replacement, just don't touch the new bulb itself with your fingers.

Dann902
06-18-2012, 11:39 PM
There is also a software update to extend the light of these bulbs, since they were burning out prematurely. Do a quick search on this forum, there have been a bunch of posts describing what the software fix is and why.

The dealer replaced my burned out DRL and did an update as well. this was covered.

lbcdude
06-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Had the same thing happen this past Saturday. Called the dealer to inquire whether they could replace it under the extended maintainence warranty or the CPO warranty the same day. They asked if I could bring it in on Monday and indicated that they would need to check the system to determine if it was something else. When I got home I pulled the bulb and determined it was burned out. Went to Pep Boys and paid $15 for a stock replacement and installed it in the parking lot in 3 minutes (sometimes I'm a little slow :p). I just figured it would be a bigger hassle to deal with the dealership than to spend a few $$$ and minimal time to take care of it myself.

burnie35
06-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Had the same thing happen this past Saturday. Called the dealer to inquire whether they could replace it under the extended maintainence warranty or the CPO warranty the same day. They asked if I could bring it in on Monday and indicated that they would need to check the system to determine if it was something else. When I got home I pulled the bulb and determined it was burned out. Went to Pep Boys and paid $15 for a stock replacement and installed it in the parking lot in 3 minutes (sometimes I'm a little slow :p). I just figured it would be a bigger hassle to deal with the dealership than to spend a few $$$ and minimal time to take care of it myself.

Like your thinking! :thumbup: