PDA

View Full Version : needed help: High Engine Load fault happens daily

sel3oo
06-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Forum Members,

I started having this problem in my E60 2004 530 few months ago, whenever I start my car after it cools down "mainly happens at morning" I feel that the car is about to turn off associated with a vibration after the RPM goes down a little, in addition to that I felt that my transmission system is not OK and the workshop mechanic told me that I have a problem in the Torque Converter which in order might made a damage in the gear box also and he said that this error happens because of the Torque Converter problem and especially when the oil is cold.

the error message says: high engine loads that may damage the catalytic converter
you can check the attached photo of the error message.

this issue is killing me so I need your urgent help and thanks a lot in advance.

borderchris
06-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Transmission failures will have their own codes; if you're having actual, severe driving symptoms with that screen, I hate to tell you, but one of your cats is dying- and plugged. Cats should last forever- have you had a history of using cheap gas or not using premium?

TRS550
06-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Transmission failures will have their own codes; if you're having actual, severe driving symptoms with that screen, I hate to tell you, but one of your cats is dying- and plugged. Cats should last forever- have you had a history of using cheap gas or not using premium?

Well....almost forever.

Both my former Bimmers required new cats around 180K.

sel3oo
06-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Actually I am an expatriate here is Saudi Arabia and I think their oil is pretty clean, I use the unleaded 95 Octane petrol.
But does the Cat effects the car performance and make it almost about to turn off with vibration until you accelirate or it just gives the error message ?

borderchris
06-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Catalytic converters are part of your exhaust; when the fine metal mesh inside plugs up, your car simply cannot breathe. It is going to buck and pop and strain in the worst way, especially after it warms up, and will smell pretty bad behind as well. The BMW diagnostic system is above and beyond simple OBDII- it's pretty good. If it's saying you have a cat fault, it means you have a cat fault. There are many measurements made before and after the cats, and if one (temperature, oxygen, etc) doesn't make spec, it means trouble. Get the car up on a lift and have someone tap on all of the cats- A really bad one will rattle from all the broken catalyst inside.