PDA

View Full Version : Advise on purchase

mzambrana78
06-17-2012, 11:34 AM
I am
Looking at a 2005 530i with 58k miles. Owner is asking 15.5k. Sounds like a great deal. How reliable are these cars (5 series)? Anything i should look for specifically?

borderchris
06-17-2012, 12:41 PM
I am
Looking at a 2005 530i with 58k miles. Owner is asking 15.5k. Sounds like a great deal. How reliable are these cars (5 series)? Anything i should look for specifically?

Just like the e39, insure that the coolant system is 100%. Other than that, if you're not sure, pay an Indy to go through the car 100, pre-purchase.

jsimon7777
06-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Price sounds reasonable to me. Hopefully it has some options, tire life, and brake life. Other than the normal things you look for on any car, I'd jack the car up, go under the front, take off the panel that protects the bottom of the engine and directs air, and look for signs of leaks. Gaskets are cheap, but the labor is a lot, and the leak might not be evident on the ground. Then I'd pull on the suspension under there, looking for excess play. The bushings do go out on higher mileage cars and are somewhat expensive to replace. If it runs fine, drives fine, and isn't leaking, it's probably fine. Some people have complained about bolts holding the block together being shorn. Not sure about that or if it's even a problem, though. Oh, and get one with the sport suspension. Without it, you may as well get a Lexus.

jsimon7777
06-17-2012, 12:51 PM
One last thing, check for bent or cracked rims, both on the inside and outside edge. Both are usually on the rim of the wheel, right by the tire. Not so much of a worry if you have 17" wheels.

2chill
06-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Oh, and get one with the sport suspension. Without it, you may as well get a Lexus.

That is absolutely ridiculous. I don't have the sport suspension and my car handles 100% better than a Lexus. Alot of people even prefer the standard suspension over the stiffer ride of the sport suspension.

550iMarine
06-18-2012, 04:02 AM
Do yourself a favor, hold out for sports suspension.