PDA

View Full Version : My new BMW & Technician

keith718
06-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Hey Everyone,
Im new to this thread, Em getting ready to acquire a 2000 740il with 40k+ miles. Clean car!!! What a find.The gentleman whose selling me the car Is the owner (David Hall) of BKM Automotive in Long Island City, NY . He came highly recommended to me. We hit it off right away. His shop was immaculate with all kinds of sweet cars. I was wondering has anyone had work done by him. I googled his shop and there were outstanding reviews about his work on KUDZU. I was gonna buy an 06, but I cant handle the look. The 2010,11,12 I love, but well lets just say ....not in my budget right now smile. I just love the E38s . I'm sure 60% of you on BImmerfest feel the same way. I can wait to enjoy what you guys have been experiencing for years. I still enjoy my 2001 Volvo S80. But this 740 is what Ive been wanting for years... Stay tuned

Suri [TBR]
06-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Glad to hear that you're getting into a 7 Keith :D

If I may ask, what don't you like about the 2006 model? The E65/E66's are advanced in an array of features over the E38's. I have been very happy with mine.

PM seven11. He has owned both and should be able to help you with the pros and cons of both models.

keith718
06-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Well, I love the way the E66 drives, I like the interior. Im just not a fan of the shape. I guess the E38 left such a indelible mark in my mind. I love the 2010,11,12.. Must I must say,, yours looks good. Maybe after a few years I will consider it.

Suri [TBR]
06-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Well, I love the way the E66 drives, I like the interior. Im just not a fan of the shape. I guess the E38 left such a indelible mark in my mind. I love the 2010,11,12.. Must I must say,, yours looks good. Maybe after a few years I will consider it.

Thanks for the compliment buddy!

And I see what you mean, it's important that you like the way the car looks. Good luck with the purchase and make sure to post up pics when you get the E38 :D

wilk187
06-17-2012, 06:28 PM
i've owned the e38 and the e65 both (see avatar). they are both great cars, but the e65 is better in every way except i thought the oem stereo was better in the e38 :)

keith718
06-17-2012, 06:36 PM
You guys really make those E66s look good! I almost got one from Florida but it was sold quickly. There was a beautiful Alpina B7 at the hotel I was staying at for the Montreal Grand Prix

Keif
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
I've had both an E38 and E66 (each for about 4 yrs). I have to say, while the E65/E66 has a lot more bells and whistles in its various systems, my E38 was a rock, rarely any trouble. Rest assured you made a good choice...congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you'll love it! If you need inspiration for mods, check out mojocoggo's old E38 on bimmerforums...beautiful.

Seven11
06-17-2012, 07:41 PM
oh man

i love my 2001 740iL

best $4,000 i ever spent :rofl:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/viperig/72cee40f.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/viperig/66604e99.jpg

interior is brand new looking

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/viperig/cf4c9f1f.jpg

keith718
06-17-2012, 07:48 PM
You know Im not a big silver fan, but that car looks real nice

jgriffith007
06-17-2012, 07:58 PM
My e38 was solid. Only problem was front suspension bushings but car had 120k when I sold it. The only time it was ever at the dealer was for oil changes. Also cup holders are terrible, only complaint! Super smooth ride. Also best looking wheels are the m-parallel 18's, if it doesn't have them!
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

Rookie2008
06-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Keith welcome aboard! We would love to see some ne pix of your ride. Feel free to post some for us.

sirstopher
06-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Log onto bimmerforums, they have a great e38 section. I loved everything about my e38,

Some things to look for
1. Sport vs standard
If you can find a sport is has the lower gears for the transmission and I think a different dif. It also has the blacked out trim, sport suspension and a different steering wheel 3 spoke vs a four, a huge upgrade for all the goodies you will get.
2. Check the normal wear and tear items on the car, make sure with 40 on the odometer that the tires have been changed, you don't want rotted rubber.
3. There were allot of problems with the car shaking dorm 40-70 mph
4. The cup holders suck, if yours are broken don't worry about it because the whole desin sucks, Germans really don't take drinks in the car, but love to smoke, so lots of ash trays.
5. The front grill comes loose easy and you can get clips to hold them on, mine was missing some and they are easy to fall off.
6. Check the aoudad system and navigation, this year should have the better navigation computer, nav03 and the better screen.
7. Check the leather for rips and dealers are great at slapping crap on the seats to cover this up
8. Go wash the car yourself and chech for the touch up paint used at dealerships, I had some small nicks on the front of mine that washed off.
9. Mpars are the BMW choice for the e38, with the upgrade to alpina 20 staggered.

I have had both and I will say the two cars are night and day to drive. My e38 was like a big sedan while the e65 will corner like a bat out of hell and it drives totally different. Both are nice cars and the e38 is a classic BMW style.

Good luck

Suri [TBR]
06-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Log onto bimmerforums, they have a great e38 section. I loved everything about my e38,

Some things to look for
1. Sport vs standard
If you can find a sport is has the lower gears for the transmission and I think a different dif. It also has the blacked out trim, sport suspension and a different steering wheel 3 spoke vs a four, a huge upgrade for all the goodies you will get.
2. Check the normal wear and tear items on the car, make sure with 40 on the odometer that the tires have been changed, you don't want rotted rubber.
3. There were allot of problems with the car shaking dorm 40-70 mph
4. The cup holders suck, if yours are broken don't worry about it because the whole desin sucks, Germans really don't take drinks in the car, but love to smoke, so lots of ash trays.
5. The front grill comes loose easy and you can get clips to hold them on, mine was missing some and they are easy to fall off.
6. Check the aoudad system and navigation, this year should have the better navigation computer, nav03 and the better screen.
7. Check the leather for rips and dealers are great at slapping crap on the seats to cover this up
8. Go wash the car yourself and chech for the touch up paint used at dealerships, I had some small nicks on the front of mine that washed off.
9. Mpars are the BMW choice for the e38, with the upgrade to alpina 20 staggered.

I have had both and I will say the two cars are night and day to drive. My e38 was like a big sedan while the e65 will corner like a bat out of hell and it drives totally different. Both are nice cars and the e38 is a classic BMW style.

Good luck

Quick question man, the sport package on the E65/E66 isn't the same is it? I thought it is just the drop, the steering wheel, and the trim.

sirstopher
06-17-2012, 11:22 PM
;6901431']Quick question man, the sport package on the E65/E66 isn't the same is it? I thought it is just the drop, the steering wheel, and the trim.

No, totally different. E38 has the step tonic tranny with different gearing or the dif is different, don't recall but it is geared differently, shadowline vs chrome trim, lowered suspension and the M steering wheel, and the mpars.

Makes a huge difference.

Suri [TBR]
06-17-2012, 11:42 PM
No, totally different. E38 has the step tonic tranny with different gearing or the dif is different, don't recall but it is geared differently, shadowline vs chrome trim, lowered suspension and the M steering wheel, and the mpars.

Makes a huge difference.

Oh okay. So I guess what I meant to say is that as far as performance goes with the E65/E66, the only improvement with the sport package is the lowered suspension? Whereas the E38 has a lot more goodies as you mentioned?

sirstopher
06-18-2012, 01:16 AM
;6901447']Oh okay. So I guess what I meant to say is that as far as performance goes with the E65/E66, the only improvement with the sport package is the lowered suspension? Whereas the E38 has a lot more goodies as you mentioned?

I am not sure about the e65 vs the e38 on the sport package, I did know about the sport on the e38 as one of the dealers was trying to tell me it was a sport but it was not, they threw on mpars and blacked out the crome, it still had the 4 spoke wheel.

I would still have my e38 but I hated the color, gold is just not my thing and I felt like my grandpa driving it.

The e65 is so much more fun to drive, it controls the road and you feel very connected to everything. I have had the e65 and the e38 way over limits on a controlled area and the feeling of both cars at over 100 are totally different to say the least.

beamlord
06-18-2012, 03:48 AM
I love my e38, it's a beautiful car, a true classic, which, I'm sure, will go up in price later on provided it's kept in a mint condition and low mileage (like mine). It runs great, handles perfectly and is very comfortable. I have zero problems with this car.

http://i46.tinypic.com/f4ehvl.jpg

pass427
06-18-2012, 02:34 PM
i've owned the e38 and the e65 both (see avatar). they are both great cars, but the e65 is better in every way except i thought the oem stereo was better in the e38 :)

Agreed

antmay
06-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Oe

Seven11
06-18-2012, 05:46 PM
u cant compare an e38 to an e65

totally different cars other than both are 7 series from BMW

e65 is light years ahead of the e38, speed, handling, interior,

and somebody said that the stereo is better in the e38, maybe better because it doesnt break as much as it does in the e65.

BUT a properly working Logic7 in an E65 would blow DSP in an e38 out of the water, trust me i am a doctor :eeps: