PDA

View Full Version : 2007 525xi- AC Smells like hmm just bad at first

iamnewtoo
06-18-2012, 05:26 AM
I ordered some AC spray that I shoot into the vents but before I use that anyone else have suggestions? The AC smells when it first turns on then the smell goes away. i live in the midwest so half the year I use the AC, other half the heat. Maybe there is a trick to cleaning the system. I have replaced the filters under the hood and was dry in those compartments. Thank you!

racooper3
06-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Try removing one of the carbon activated cabin filters under the hood. Start car engine. Make sure you turn off recirculate air on the A/C. I turn off all the cabin air vents except the 2 center dash vents. Turn A/C fan up about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way. Hang a towel over the 2 vents. Spray Lysol mildew/mold disenfectant into the cabin filter opening under the hood. Don't spray the whole can. Just enough to get the towel really damp. Then you will know that you have gotten the evaporator coated with Lysol.

That should kill the mold smell coming out of your vents. In Florida we are used to this procedure. I don't like the Lysol spray all in my cabin and on the leather, hence the towel to catch most of it. May want to open all the windows when you spray it. Also, choose a scent of Lysol that doesn't bother your nose. You'll smell it for a few days. Rest assured the mold smell will be gone for 3 to 6 months or at least until next summer.

Good Luck.

Blue Blood
06-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Once you get rid of theg smell, the best way to keep it from returning is to turn off the recirculation when you know you're nearing your destination, this will allow the condensation to evaporate.

burnie35
06-19-2012, 08:34 AM
In Florida we are used to this procedure.Good Luck.

I live in Florida and have never had the problem with any of my cars. :dunno:

BMW535xia
06-19-2012, 09:41 AM
this seems easy enuf until the use of lysol...can't take the odor of this product. is there any other product which is less obnoxious and nauseating than this that will be as effective? --- ty

racooper3
06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
I live in Florida and have never had the problem with any of my cars. :dunno:

Our family actually uses the A/C in every car we have had since moving to Tampa and has smelly A/C air when first turned on. Mold/Mildew growth on evap is the culprit. Not sure what part of Florida you live in, woods or near coast, but almost every car has this problem when you recirculate the A/C cabin air.

burnie35
06-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I live in The Villages, north of Orlando ... wonder why the difference? 3 BMW's and a couple of Fords with nary an odor.

Oh, and we use the A/C all the time as well.