PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Defect Solved: NOT BUSHINGS

II Kings 9:20
06-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Well guys, I solved the problem. Thanks to all who offered suggestions, condolences, and well wishes :thumbup:.

Here (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624298) is the "Bad Bushing" thread
My first post has a link with symptoms if you are not familiar with what has been going on.

Hopefully others can learn from this experience. Often in life, things are not always as they seem.

Bad bushings never made sense to be because the problem went away when I put snow tires on. My first clue about tires.

My '05 300C had similar behavior in the suspension as brand new car and it went away after 11K miles of frustration by replacing the stock tires. That was my second clue about tires.

Imagine my shock when the dealer told me that I had "bad subframe bushings" that would have been covered by the warranty but not by the CPO. I was kicking myself for not taking it to the dealer before the warranty expired when I learned that the bushings were bad and I thought it was the tires all along :dunno:.

I began my study here and put a lot of thought into this problem. I checked the manufacture date of my tires and they were 2605 (26th week of 2005), 7 year old tires on a 4 year old car. I checked the tread depth with my Napa depth gauge and the rears were below 3mm. I always have a healthy skepticism of things that seem illogical. Common things occur commonly and bad bushings at 50K is uncommon.
Both Indys I spoke with said that the bushings should not have gone bad and no one here on the forum has bad subframe bushings.

I decided to do an experiment since I needed new rear tires anyway and replace them before doing any bushing work. The dealer recommended doing it all at the same time and my initial thought was to do bushings first. Upon further review, I decided to get new tires from Tire Rack. Shipped to Sears, $32 to install both.

The car now rides like a dream. ABSOLUTELY ZERO BODY SHAKE/FLEX/JUTTING at the rear end-PERFECT. I hit all of the manhole covers and broken patches of pavement that have been vexing me for the last 3 months driving to and from work. The car is flat and stable without ANY suspension problems. It is literally like night and day or as far as the east is from the west.

Thank the Lord I had sense enough not to do bushings.

The bushing (#2) is not visible, it is hidden in an aluminum cannister and the torn rubber thing I saw is an external washer (#10).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/ocuflox/Autos/th_213-1.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v258/ocuflox/Autos/?action=view&current=213-1.png)

The dealer plan was actually $1,910 for all 4 bushings plus another $1,000 +tax for the rear tires for a grand total of just over $3K.

I am now thrilled with the ride of the car and it feels proper and fully buttoned down as I would expect a car that stickered at $92K to be.

I will man up and say that I was wrong to criticize the 7 for having a poor ride when my car had bad tires- that is not the car's fault.

Because the front tires are also 7 years old, I will be replacing them based on age before any road trip even though they are "good" at 6mm. When a tire hits 6 years old, get rid of it.

Hairtrigger19
06-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks for your info. Very helpful.

Rookie2008
06-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Thats good news glad you got it squared away.

Db750
06-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Glad you got it worked out.:thumbup:

What tires did you go with?

06-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys. I went with the same tires as on my MDX for A/S and snow. General G Max 275/40-19Z. $202 each, fronts in a few weeks are around $180. I have had great luck with General. Of course looked at Michelin and Pirelli but not willing to drop that coin for the name. I looked at the paperwork and the michelins were put on at the dealer in Florida only 18000 miles ago. No thanks on new michilens if that is what to expect.

Had the bushings been bad, I would not go with BMW since they failed, I would have used Lemforder (may supply bmw). Dealer wanted $90 each bushing, online $85 at most places. I found Lemforder for $33 online and had them in my cart ready to buy and the Indy told me he won't warranty the work if I get my own parts so I printed the order with price to let him buy rather than pay $85 each. Thankfully I did not need them. I was supposed to drop the car off last week and got tied up which is when I hatched the tire plan.

Tenn
06-19-2012, 12:05 AM
It's all good now enjoy the ride Pshew!

Suri [TBR]
06-19-2012, 12:44 AM
And to think... You were going to buy a Hyundai!! :rofl:

I'm glad it all worked out well man :D

***CCCP***
06-19-2012, 01:40 AM
;6903584']And to think... You were going to buy a Hyundai!! :rofl:

I'm glad it all worked out well man :D

Hahaha u read my mind man. I thought OP already traded his car for Hyundai. And the other post was his last one like he said . Btw the closed it bc of me , i really snapped after seeing a guy calling ppl names just bc a member of this forum called hyundai jap car and not korean.
To the OP : im glad it all worked out and now u can enjoy true ultimate driving machine. And i must apologize for doubting ur driving skills based that u destroyed bushings after 50k. And getting mad at u for comparing 7 to hyundai. Maybe one day they will get close but now its just not there. And like i always say no matter what in the end of the day bmw always puts a smile on ur face. Look how happy u are right now. :)))

davethewheel
06-19-2012, 01:51 AM
You snapped CCCP? ooooh nooo! :eek:

Sent from my MB855 sing Bimmer App

Seven11
06-19-2012, 01:57 AM
You snapped CCCP? ooooh nooo! :eek:

Sent from my MB855 sing Bimmer App

you better believe it :D

***CCCP***
06-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Hahahahaha whatever

***CCCP***
06-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Im just happy bc my car is almost done. I should get it on monday couple lil things like tranny oil engine oil, alignment software update and 3m clear for the front and ill post pics. Cant wait miss my car

Suri [TBR]
06-19-2012, 03:45 AM
Hahaha u read my mind man. I thought OP already traded his car for Hyundai. And the other post was his last one like he said . Btw the closed it bc of me , i really snapped after seeing a guy calling ppl names just bc a member of this forum called hyundai jap car and not korean.

Haha I was wondering where that thread went! It's ridiculous how disrespectful some of the newer members can be. Not to say all of them are at all, but you know what I mean :rofl:

1bad540
06-19-2012, 06:09 AM
driving on bald tires huh??:yikes: No good man. Glad you sorted the problem out.

06-19-2012, 07:23 AM
To the OP : im glad it all worked out and now u can enjoy true ultimate driving machine. And i must apologize for doubting ur driving skills based that u destroyed bushings after 50k. And getting mad at u for comparing 7 to hyundai. Maybe one day they will get close but now its just not there. And like i always say no matter what in the end of the day bmw always puts a smile on ur face. Look how happy u are right now. :)))

It's cool, I appreciate the thoughts- I was pretty ticked off that my car did ride worse than a Hyundai. Getting to the tire decision was so convoluted. It was supposed to go to the specialty Indy last week and wifey could not do the drop off with me which gave me a few more days to figure it out. I was really shocked that bad tires could make such a difference but the same was true for my brand new 300C. My $400 check from Continental as part of a class action settlement in 2005 is proof that it was tires. What really threw me off on this was the dealer's proclomation of bad bushings and my visual inspection of the external rubber washer. Had I not taken it to the dealer, I would have just slapped on new tires.

DFEL750I
06-19-2012, 07:44 AM

I was wondering why the original Hyundai thread got closed :). I was the one that called the Hyundai a Jap car :). Good thing the thread got closed before i saw the posts in there.....sometimes it's better not to know some of the stupid things people post on here.

Kings....glad you got your issue sorted out. I am guessing now that the life of your 7 has been spared until the tires go bald again :)

1bad540
06-19-2012, 07:50 AM
How did they cpo the car with bald tires?? all my cpo's came with brand new tires.

06-19-2012, 10:12 AM
1bad and DFE, the tires were OK in the fall- it is interesting that the right rear wore faster. Both have the same date code 2005 so I assume they were installed at the same time. The right was under 3mm and the left 3.5mm. I was thinking rear alignment might be in order but the car tracks as if on rails. Still makes me wonder why the rears wore so fast.

I bought it at 43K with good tread and it now has 50K with worn tires. IIK 9:20 reads as a chariot is approaching with dust flying: "and the watchman told, for the driving is like the driving of Jehu son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously". I drive pretty fast but not fast enough to wear out the tires like that. In the city, I granny drive to save MPG, toddlers, and pets running in the street. I plan to have the alignment checked.

Indeed, my 7 got a reprieve from the governor at the last minute. It has been pardoned and it's record expunged :D

1bad540
06-19-2012, 10:24 AM
so even if they were at 5-6mm they should have still been changed.

06-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Different thoughts on that 1bad. Some countries allow 1.6mm. Anything less than 3 is dangerous. Two things I do not take chances with: Tires and Brakes. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHmZcYACtI)

PRBMW7ser05
06-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Speaking of suspension; Had a squeak that kept getting louder. The dealer said ball joint and bad shock, and carrier. $3k... Went to a local shop that I always use for suspension issues (Bag and Sons
in Culver City, CA) and found the left rear lower ball joint and Integral link are bad. Fixed it this morning and it rides like a new car. No squeak... Cost= $406.00. I'm happy.

king0fspades
06-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Glad that everything worked out for you. On these cars rear tires always wear faster than fronts.

06-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks king, good to know.

Alpine745li
06-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Im glad you got that issue resolved. If it wasnt for this forum Stealerships and Indy's would be making a furtune based on undiagnosed repairs.

06-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Im glad you got that issue resolved. If it wasnt for this forum Stealerships and Indy's would be making a furtune based on undiagnosed repairs.

Yep, somewhere in all of this a forum brother mentioned bad belts in the tires or alignment as a possibility. You would never think that tires could wreak so much havoc but if you really think about it tires are a major component of the suspension system so wy not?

mikewerks
06-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Glad to hear you got that sorted!

06-27-2012, 02:04 PM
I wont start a new thread on the front tires- Sears put them on today via Tire Rack- they nailed (no pun intended) the balance at $32 total:thumbup:. The car is as smooth as the center seed of a cucumber :D.

The mild to moderate steering wheel kick on freeway bumps is GONE :thumbup:. I am amazed that tires can affect the suspension so much-remember the fronts had good tread and the rears were not bald-3 and 4mm each.

So glad I did not drop $2K for subframe bushings and blame BMW for faulty product :dunno:.

The car now is complete and rides as a BMW should.

Of note, the General G Max tires for the front were made in mid 2011 in Germany and the rears in early 2012 in Portugal.

1bad540
06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Just so u kno 3-4mm is bald

06-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Just so u kno 3-4mm is bald

Wow, bald is legal in many states.

mikewerks
06-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Scary to think some states think 3-4mm would be Oke Doke.....

dude_hot10
06-28-2012, 12:15 AM
nice