PDA

View Full Version : JB4 concern

Thegame6752
06-18-2012, 11:16 PM
I just received my JB4 and I'm excited to get it going but my concern is the ease or lack of to install and remove. I know they say it's a 40 minute or so process if not less but I'm pretty hands off and I don't want to have an issue removing when I go in for services other then an oil change or something simple. Anyone have this product that has no mechanical sense and knows the ease of install/remove of the product? It just seems like quit a bit just to get to the ECU.

Thanks

Oceans10
06-19-2012, 05:15 AM
You can lern the steps involved in installing/uninstalling, but each time you need to remove various cowl pieces in order to get to the ECU box.
I had a tuner shop install mine the first time to see how it was done, but then I just left it there and set it to bypass on the steering wheel controls when I go in for recall service at BMW. That way it is invisible to BMW, so really no reason to worry. It's as if it doesn't exist.
Plugging it into the various connectors is step by step, but you can't screw it up as each only fits in one slot.
I definitely think it is overkill to remove it for an oil change and such. BMW won't discover it unless they open up the ECU and have a look inside. Why would they go through all that trouble?

My advice would be to go to a tuner shop and watch them install it. Should be $100 tops. Then you can see what is involved and decide if you are comfortable removing it yourself in the future.
Remember to run it hard in 3rd gear so the software adapts and maximizes the power. Takes 3-4 strong pulls to redline. Also the engine needs to be min 160 F before JB4 becomes active. That's about 5 minutes of driving. You can program JB4 so the indicator arrows flash twice when it engages. PM me if you want more tips.

Thegame6752
06-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks Oceans, I will be hitting you up.

brocyourworld
06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
There are little clips everywhere. If youre having to force something look for a clip. Take your time and follow the guide. The big silver ECU box has a clip on the back side. Removing the clip let's you pull the silver unit out and attach the sliders. By far the most frustrating part of the installation.

You'll love the mod. It's fantastic!!!

Oceans10
06-19-2012, 02:28 PM
A nice enhancement is to add 30-40% E85 to a base of 93 octane. Then set it to Map 5 or Map 7. Takes performance up a couple of more notches as it allows for higher boost levels and more advanced timing. Race gas has same effect, but it's expensive whereas E85 costs the same as regular gas. A lot of guys are doing that. Trouble is E85 stations are tough to find in some areas.

My JB4 is configured so the needles in my instrument panel get hijacked. Up to half throttle the gauges are normal, but as I push the pedal further the gas gauge switches to show boost level on the turbos. 1/2 = 10 psi, full = 20 psi. The MPG gauge simultaneously shows meth flow, from 0-100%. Pretty neat that I can get all this information without installing any aftermarket gauges. Very handy and it is instructive to learn how the turbos behave. When I am cruising at steady speed they are totally off, gone to sleep. At full throtle they jump to 18 psi boost which is more than twice the stock boost level. That's how you tap into 100 extra horsepower or more. Real simple to add these features via steering wheel buttons.

Thegame6752
06-19-2012, 09:59 PM
This what I'm going to call shady business here in Vegas told me $200 to install the JB4 on Friday and when I called today, another guy told me $225. I'm Like if this only takes about 40 minutes according to instructions and you normally charge around $65-75 an hour anyway, how the hell you get $225 and why do i keep getting different prices? He's like, it a technical job and requires a few hours and we do quality work on that install. Then wanted to charge an additional $80 to instal the AE bulbs.

I have to admit that I wasn't to happy about having to deal with any questions I had with Burgers products via email because I thought it takes too long and it's too back and forth but I must say the experience has been pretty nice. Terry and Jason have been on it and it only took 2 days to get my order. He'll, Terry is even going to do the install and Jason said he could knock out the AE install. I'm a fan for life and will definitely be recommending my boys who have been waiting on a report about everything get with these guys. Great work!

Oceans10
06-20-2012, 05:52 AM
This what I'm going to call shady business here in Vegas told me $200 to install the JB4 on Friday and when I called today, another guy told me $225. I'm Like if this only takes about 40 minutes according to instructions and you normally charge around $65-75 an hour anyway, how the hell you get $225 and why do i keep getting different prices? He's like, it a technical job and requires a few hours and we do quality work on that install. Then wanted to charge an additional $80 to instal the AE bulbs.

I have to admit that I wasn't to happy about having to deal with any questions I had with Burgers products via email because I thought it takes too long and it's too back and forth but I must say the experience has been pretty nice. Terry and Jason have been on it and it only took 2 days to get my order. He'll, Terry is even going to do the install and Jason said he could knock out the AE install. I'm a fan for life and will definitely be recommending my boys who have been waiting on a report about everything get with these guys. Great work!

What a joke. Those LEDs take 5 minutes. You literally screw in a light bulb, that's it.
Terry and Jason are A+ guys. :thumbup:

Hillandale
06-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Iv'e been throwing around the idea of a JB4 for my 08 535. I was quoted $750 installed which includes the USB for updates. I have no idea if that is a good price. Also, what is the risk that it will screw up my replaced fuel pump, water pump. Will it wear out the turbos rapidly?
Was also quoted $750 for intake but unfortunately I can't remember which one he said it was. It' not a dual cone
Thanks

Oceans10
06-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Iv'e been throwing around the idea of a JB4 for my 08 535. I was quoted $750 installed which includes the USB for updates. I have no idea if that is a good price. Also, what is the risk that it will screw up my replaced fuel pump, water pump. Will it wear out the turbos rapidly?
Was also quoted $750 for intake but unfortunately I can't remember which one he said it was. It' not a dual cone
Thanks

If you go to the BMS site you will see that JB4 with updating cable is around $500. A pair of dual cone intakes are $98. Max install time is 1 hour. That is for someone who has never done it before and needs to read the instructions for half an hour.
You can look at the install manual and youtube videos to see what is involved. You take off the cowl pieces to expose the ECU box. Open it, pull some connectors apart and plug them into JB4. Put everything back together. Activate JB4 by pressing some steering wheel buttons. Good to go. Step on it!
Maybe you can find someone locally who can help you out. Go on N54tech.com and look for users in your area, they are usually a good group.

patryan
06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
I just installed mine, many interruptions (wife brought home a new puppy, last day of school for kids, etc.), took probably 90 minutes including a bunch of stops/starts. Hardest part for me was pulling the power connector to get at the bottom. Haven't taken it out of the driveway yet, speedo and tach seem to be functioning... not getting the "yellow screen" showing that it's active... not sure if that's normal or not. Will report back after a day or two of driving.

Thegame6752
06-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Oceans, you ain't kidding. I just took the AE's to my dealer and installed them in about 7 minutes no charge. Dealer I go to is awesome and I'd loved for them to install the JB but their not that awesome. Lol. Hillandale, that's a good question that I have no answer for. Go to burgertunning.com an email Terry and get his take or search the forum or Tryn54tech.com and ask around. Also, $750 for everything is crazy as hell, don't do it or question why it's so high for an hour max Install.

Hillandale
06-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Awesome, I'll check around and be back. It's at the dealer right now for the throttle body cleaning and blasting, probably plugs too. Hopefully they will cover it since it is bout to turn 50k
Thanks

Thegame6752
06-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Has anyone noticed any oil issues IE., running low due to the added horse power or run a thicker oil? Also, I wonder if this extra power causes any long-term ( or shall I say short term) engine damage even though BMW lessens how much power they allow u?

Oceans10
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
I am sure upping the stress on the engine will advance deterioration to some degree, but so far nobody has reported any noticable wear and tear. The 3 and 1 series crowd have much more experience with the tuned N54 engine and even add nitrous oxide and larger turbos for nearly 700 BHP. That's when they upgrade the transmission with sturdier parts to keep it from blowing up.
In most daily driving situations you don't really push the engine that much more, but it is said that track duty and 1/4 mile sprints etc. wear the engine down twice the normal rate. Just a JB4 tune adds at most 100 BHP (but more torque which is awesome.)
I'm not really worried. My car drinks an extra quart of oil annually, thereabouts. I use Mobil 1 0 weight 40.

Thegame6752
06-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Oceans, u know where I can find the maps? I had a link before for N54tech where there at but I lost it. Thanks

Thegame6752
06-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Also, which map did you start off with to get the car tuned and for how long. Where did you go after that map wise for max performance?

Oceans10
06-21-2012, 08:17 PM
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605

Maps:

Map 0: Stock bypass. This is the only map you may use the OBDII diagnostic port with. Set to map 0 before dropping off for service, using a BT, etc.
Map 1: 13psi (suggested for most stock applications)
Map 2: 14.5psi (suggested for those with downpipes and 93 octane)
Map 3: Progressive meth mapping with flow sensor failsafe. See guide to enable. Meth use isn't supported/suggested without a flow sensor and map 3.
Map 4: Stock map w/ CAN active. Allows full logging and in dash gauges on the stock mapping.
Map 5: Autotuning map. Boost ranges between 11-16psi based on your cars octane, conditions, and modifications.
Map 6: Custom tuning map.
Map 7: 16.5psi race map. 100 RM2 octane required.
Map 8: Economy / Non-Turbo map. Triggers a 3100 "reduced power mode" code while active. After switching back to a normal map you will need to restart the car for the code to clear.

Thegame6752
06-21-2012, 08:37 PM
So for a standard 535, did u start off on map 5 or use another?

Oceans10
06-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I started on Map 1, then moved to Map 2 as I had 93 octane and dual cones. Later tried an earlier version of Map 5, but felt 2 was stronger. (Lately Map 5 is supposedly awesome.) Also played with Map 7 and mixing in some race gas. But after adding meth kit I live on Map 3.
Toggle around and see what you like. Give it some hard pulls in 3rd gear to fully adapt for each map.

For JB4 only cars I would suggest Map 5, see how it goes.

Thegame6752
06-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Big O,
Thanks for the maps. I was messing around with the maps and I'm not sure how to reset it back to nothing. Is that just map 0? I'm still on map 5 and after playing a bit, my fuel gauge seems to be working like a tach and I want to go back to regular. Can I get an assist?

Thegame6752
07-07-2012, 02:28 AM
Ok, so I'm driving home a few minutes ago and I have a long stretch of road to myself so I say to myself, self, let's see what this JB4 (Map 5) can do since I haven't really tried it out. Hit the gas from dead stop and it takes off with a hard rev then it seemed to miss a gear cuz there was this jerk then both my turn signals began to flash and the engine felt like it might die out. Did it both with the DSC on and off. Not sure if that's normal and if so, I guess giving the engine the business isn't good and I'm not happy I paid so much for low end torques and no guts to get going without being able to change gears on the fly.

Oceans10
07-07-2012, 05:19 AM
If this happened at the top of the rev band then it is due to the transmission not shifting properly. The blinking turn indicators are JB4 telling you where the optimal shift point is,(usually 6,200) but sometimes the engine revs past it and the transmission can get hung up for a second until it upshifts. The loss of power is due to fuel cut off as you are past the redline.
It tends to happen more in lower gears and is due to your revs climbing faster than BMW's engine management system is designed for. If you let off the throttle slightly near the top of the rev band the car will have a little more time to shift properly. Or shift manually.

Also remember that JB4 does not activate until oil temp hits 160F. Then the green arrows in the instrument panel flash twice to signal it is engaged. That could cause a hiccup too if the car was not warm enough and then JB4 engaged while you were at WOT. In any case all the added power can overwhelm the logic that manages the transmission, so you just need to learn how it behaves. It's the same on downshifts. i usually blip the throttle slightly to allow the tranny to downshift and engage, then hit the pedal hard and shoot off. If you just depress the pedal the tranny can sometimes hunt a bit, then engage too hard as all the torque hits it. Just drive smart and play with it. From 3rd gear and up I have no issues.

Thegame6752
07-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Ok, I figured as much with getting to know and playing with it. I need to update to newest version. I'm sure the oil was at 160 but I don't have it set up to flash when it is.

patryan
07-08-2012, 06:34 PM
After having it for a few weeks... I like it. Also, better gas mileage with my first full tank (24.7). Really like the pickup when you step on the gas while going 40-60..

Oceans10
07-08-2012, 06:48 PM
If you can find a gas station that carries it, try adding some E85 to 93 octane. Up to 30-40% is fine. Will give you even more of a kick, though overall gas mileage suffers 1-2 mpg. It's cheap though. Same as regular gas but up to 105 octane. Hence with a third E85 and 93 you are effectively at 97 octane. Run that on Map 5 which will adapt and make the most of it.