PDA

View Full Version : New Tires! Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

uwhusky
06-19-2012, 10:44 AM
I just replaced my Falken summer performance tires (sorry, I can't remember the model number) that were shot. They were so shot the car would vibrate wherever I drove and I even got down on the ground yesterday to look around the tires and I could see steel belts showing on the rear tires. Yikes!

I had some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus put on all fours and the car rids like $$$$.

Just sayin'!

phlfly
06-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Good deal, but I would look at Cooper tires.

Campfamily
06-19-2012, 01:09 PM
I just replaced my Falken summer performance tires (sorry, I can't remember the model number) that were shot. They were so shot the car would vibrate wherever I drove and I even got down on the ground yesterday to look around the tires and I could see steel belts showing on the rear tires. Yikes!

I had some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus put on all fours and the car rids like $$$$.

Just sayin'!

Got these tires on my 2000 Nissan Maxima SE, and they are simply wonderful. I got over 50,000 miles of mostly highway driving out of my last set, which made it worthwhile to replace them with the same type. It also convinced me to replace the OEM Conti's that came on my 550 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Awesome tires!! You won't be disappointed.

uwhusky
06-19-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm a pretty loyal Michelin buyer. I've heard people talk about Continentals but I'd rather not risk it considering the great experiences I've had with Michelin's over the years.

So far I love the look and feel of these Michelin's!

burnie35
06-19-2012, 02:08 PM
I've had my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus for a couple of weeks now and really pleased with them ... of course, I came from Dunlop runflats, so what do I know? :D

Oceans10
06-19-2012, 02:35 PM
I've had my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus for a couple of weeks now and really pleased with them ... of course, I came from Dunlop runflats, so what do I know? :D

ROFL :rofl:
You were driving around on 4 trash can lids and then swapped to real tires. Yeah baby! :thumbup:

g75401
06-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Michelin Pilot Sports A/S are awesome....mine have 37K on them and still going strong. I usually buy Goodyears but the Eagle's road noise and tread life were crap after 20K. I just got Goodyear Eagles for the 97 Z3 I just got for my daughter, but she'll be lucky to put 10K mileage on the car...

phlfly
06-19-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't know about extra 100 bucks per tire for Michelin can buy over Conti , Pirelli or even Cooper tires. I gave a try for Copper tires, they have UTQG 500 AA A same as Michelin and warranty almost same as well. Also any tires are not last long with BMW negative camber, I can see difference for SUV or just sedan like Camry, but not on BMW.

Kamdog
06-19-2012, 06:03 PM
I have these tires and I am very happy with them.

Munich77
06-19-2012, 06:26 PM
I have these tires and I am very happy with them.

Same here - I would not hesitate to buy them again. Great traction in all weather and smooth ride.

ehchan
06-19-2012, 10:53 PM
These tires transformed my wife's MB E350 from a sponge into a legitimate drivers car... They will go on my 535xiT this winter when my goodyears run out :D

jsimon7777
06-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Summer tires FTW! I'm waiting for a negative review of the non-runflat Michelins for our cars.

phlfly
06-20-2012, 05:52 AM
oh, btw forgot to mention Copper tires are made in US, I got them yesterday, and read reviews that they are made in China. But it's USA product.

Mac Hadley
06-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Most michelin tires sold in the U.S. are made in North America. They have several plants in the U.S.

wangt
06-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Just FYI I had these tires on my 09 WRX and I had to make Costco buy them back. Not the best tire for the WRX but I was in a rush since I had summer performance during the bad snow storm. (stock suspension)

The tires had 28k miles and 2 years of use with plenty of tread depth left. On the edge of the tires the rubber started to peel off and dry rot. The tires were never tracked and never driven on dirt roads so there wasn't reason for this unusual wear. I expected more from Michelin but I don't see why they are not recalling these tires.

Michelin is aware of the issue indicating it will affect specific cars. But from my research I've seen complaints from FWD-Acura TLs, AWD-WRX, RWD-Forgot which Merc model.

burnie35
06-22-2012, 08:51 AM
What's a WRX?

Oceans10
06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impreza-wrx/index.html

jsimon7777
06-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Regarding the consumer reports article and reviews in general, there is a huge difference between testing of a product and consumer use. The pretty laptop might be light and fast, but it could fall apart after three months. The GT-R might be fast and relatively cheap, but the maintenance costs are insane and require going to crappy Nissan dealers. I ran around forums looking for the experiences of people who bought and lived with the tires. That's why I ended up with Michelins, not Falkens, Nittos, or Coopers.

phlfly
06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Well I will not agree with you totally, I had Michelin Pilot on Lexus RX 330, and they gone in the 20,000 miles even I rotated them each 5-6 thousand miles, so I would not say there last long as was predicted by warranty around 40,000 miles. They were even wear, and they had squeaked a lot on hard turns. So I was not happy with these 240 bucks per tire deal. There are might quieter then Conti, but Conti is last around same for 1/2 price.
About reviews: yes there are useless from tire rack, as they are tested on BMW and race track, so how many people are driving on roads like it's race track, so my point is all tires last about same on performance cars with perfomance tires so it would not make a huge difference on road, but it makes difference in my pocket. Also the consumer reports magazine is very close to their prediction in term the product rating, from my experience, as bought couple home appl. from their recommendation.

Campfamily
06-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Just FYI I had these tires on my 09 WRX and I had to make Costco buy them back. Not the best tire for the WRX but I was in a rush since I had summer performance during the bad snow storm. (stock suspension)

The tires had 28k miles and 2 years of use with plenty of tread depth left. On the edge of the tires the rubber started to peel off and dry rot. The tires were never tracked and never driven on dirt roads so there wasn't reason for this unusual wear. I expected more from Michelin but I don't see why they are not recalling these tires.

Michelin is aware of the issue indicating it will affect specific cars. But from my research I've seen complaints from FWD-Acura TLs, AWD-WRX, RWD-Forgot which Merc model.

I'm on my third set of these tires on my Nissan Maxima. The first two sets lasted over 50,000 miles each (compared with ~25,000 on the OEM Bridgestones). The current tires have about 30,000 miles on them, and they still show lots of tread, are wearing evenly, and don't show any of the signs you mention. Any chance you got a set of tires that were old, that Costco had sitting around in a warehouse for too long? Also you could have been part of a bad lot from Michelin. I highly recommend these tires, and as I put in an earlier post, a bit reason why I sprung for the Pilot Super Sports on my BMW.

BTW, I definitely know what a WRX is. And, they are pretty awesome cars. Stock, they'll run with most of our cars. Tuned, they can be made to run like a M-car or better. But, certainly not the refined performance that a BMW has, more raw and "in your face" performance.

Keith

burnie35
06-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Well, I really didn't know what WRX is (till I looked it up on Google). With all the abbreviations in these forums, it's hard to keep up ... WTF!

Munich77
06-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Well, I really didn't know what WRX is (till I looked it up on Google). With all the abbreviations in these forums, it's hard to keep up ... WTF!

Subaru WRX the rally car and dream of many teenagers!

calpalmer
06-23-2012, 03:32 PM

I have these tires on, they're at about 25K miles and the rears are at 4mm. Not much better tread life than the original Conti's that came with it. (It's the 550i so pretty aggressive and wide).

Cal

tony925
06-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Good deal, but I would look at Cooper tires.

I actually used the CR ratings to shop for my recent tires to go with my new 19" wheels/staggered setup. I wanted the Coopers but surprisingly they don't make them in the sizes needed for the 19" staggered setup. So what happens? I end up going on the opposite end of the price spectrum and go with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus. I will say these Michelins grip like superglue....so much so that I can say they outperform my non-sport suspension. :rofl:

phlfly
06-23-2012, 11:03 PM
I have these tires on, they're at about 25K miles and the rears are at 4mm. Not much better tread life than the original Conti's that came with it. (It's the 550i so pretty aggressive and wide).

Cal

Exactly. Perhaps Yokohama, Conti, Pirelli and couple other manufacture will do same job just about 1/2 price. I will report how Cooper tires performed after Bridgestone tires. btw, Bridgestone is not bad at all.

BruceOmega
06-25-2012, 01:53 PM
FWIW,

I had two sets of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my '08 535Xi. On both sets, the edges wore much more than the center even though I maintained tire pressure at 33 psi front and 37 psi rear. Both the inside and outside edges were worn. If this was due to an alignment issue, I don't understand how that could affect both the inside and outside edges.

Replaced the first set with a second set and had the car aligned at the dealer. The second set wore on the edges as well. This time, I had the car at an independent repair shop that said my thrust bearings were bad, so they replaced those and did an alignment.

Based on that shop's recommendation, this time I replaced the Pilot Sport A/S Plus with Michelin Primacy MXM4s. The owner said those would work better with my car. So far, I like the Primacy's a lot.

Bruce

sportzfan76
06-25-2012, 02:00 PM
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are by far and away one the better tires out there. Anyone who wants to save $100 and buy Cooper or whatever have obviously never run on these tires.

phlfly
06-25-2012, 03:24 PM
I had them on M3, so it's good tires but way too much money, but they came with the car (brand new at time I got a car), well after ~ 15,000 they were close to replace (even I had very even wear across the tires) but I sold car. Like I said, it's good to use those tires on normal car, meaning no negative camber, but on BMW is waste of money.

x54.4blue
06-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I had them on M3, so it's good tires but way too much money, but they came with the car (brand new at time I got a car), well after ~ 15,000 they were close to replace (even I had very even wear across the tires) but I sold car. Like I said, it's good to use those tires on normal car, meaning no negative camber, but on BMW is waste of money.

i have over 45,000 on Goodyears OEM (not run flat) on my 535XIT don't know what the camber issue is. They have lot of tread left will probably go with M Pilots or MXV4s when the time comes.

gamonn
06-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Order a set of Continental Extreme DWS for my 08 550I M Sport and love them. Replaced a set of Michelin A/S Plus that had plenty of thread left but was dry rotted on the edges of all 4 tires.

lindros2
07-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Sorry for being "out of forum", but I just installed these on my F10 535i. I got fed up with $500+ runflats which bubbled and were in the tread danger zone by 14k miles.

For those most concerned with aesthetics, they look far better on E60 cars. The 19" 245 (front) and 275 (rear) have so much rim protection that they look "fat".

Not so on the E60's with 19" wheels (I parked next to a 550i M-Sport today).

Mac Hadley
07-10-2012, 03:03 PM
How is the braking performance with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S? The Michelin website rates them 7, with 10 being the best.

phlfly
07-10-2012, 03:46 PM
FWIW,

I had two sets of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my '08 535Xi. On both sets, the edges wore much more than the center even though I maintained tire pressure at 33 psi front and 37 psi rear. Both the inside and outside edges were worn. If this was due to an alignment issue, I don't understand how that could affect both the inside and outside edges.

Replaced the first set with a second set and had the car aligned at the dealer. The second set wore on the edges as well. This time, I had the car at an independent repair shop that said my thrust bearings were bad, so they replaced those and did an alignment.

Based on that shop's recommendation, this time I replaced the Pilot Sport A/S Plus with Michelin Primacy MXM4s. The owner said those would work better with my car. So far, I like the Primacy's a lot.

Bruce

I have same problem on front tires, dealer replaced tie rods, tension strut and did three times alignment. I use higher pressure about 3 psi per tire more. It looks a little better but not much. But I read about active anti roll bar can lose due the check valve leaks back to the system. Read oon p.47, even this for E70 but it's same system as our on E60.

ganninnia
08-09-2012, 12:38 PM

I have the EXACT same problem on my front two Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires! I originally purchased them from America's Tire back in Jan. 2011. I went into America's Tire last week for a tire rotation appointment, and the staff guy there said that I need to replace the front two tires due to the aforementioned wear on the inside and outside edges of both tires.

I decided to get a second opinion from the Costco Tire center, so I went there and explained the whole situation. The tech guy at Costco told me that I can probably get a few more thousand miles out of those front two tires, but I would need to replace them soon after. He also mentioned that this is a KNOWN PROBLEM with these Michelin tires. He confirmed that they have contacted Michelin about this tire issue, and Michelin essentially just replied saying that this is just how the tire is... :confused:

My options were to just buy 2 more Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires to replace the worn front two tires (rear tires are fine), or replace all 4. Yesterday, I decided to replace all 4 with Bridgestone 970's, so that I won't have to deal with the defective Michelin's anymore.

Phoenix1
08-11-2012, 08:23 AM
i have over 45,000 on Goodyears OEM (not run flat) on my 535XIT don't know what the camber issue is. They have lot of tread left will probably go with M Pilots or MXV4s when the time comes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like a quiet ride, but traction and handling are not important - stay with the RSA's...

After only 24K miles, I replaced my OEM Goodyear225/50 17 Eagle RSA (non run flat) with Conti DWS and it made a huge difference in ALL seasons. If you like the OEM tires, I'll sell you mine cheap since they still have 20K+ miles on them.

On my wife's Infiniti G35X, I also replaced her Eagle RSA's at 26K (after she hydroplaned badly in very little water) with Yokohama Avan S4 - again improving the handling and traction dramatically.

MachtSchnell
08-11-2012, 07:05 PM
I have had enjoyed my sport A/S's. Has to replace the backs at 17k miles but michelin gave me 25% of the new rear ones based on an average tread depth. Inside o tires was down to the radial. Fronts were close to new. If I could figure out how to gradually accelerate verse hammer down.

DaIceCreaMan
08-14-2012, 05:00 PM
If I could figure out how to gradually accelerate verse hammer down.

haha :D

mybmw5
08-15-2012, 09:42 AM
I have the EXACT same problem on my front two Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires! I originally purchased them from America's Tire back in Jan. 2011. I went into America's Tire last week for a tire rotation appointment, and the staff guy there said that I need to replace the front two tires due to the aforementioned wear on the inside and outside edges of both tires.

I decided to get a second opinion from the Costco Tire center, so I went there and explained the whole situation. The tech guy at Costco told me that I can probably get a few more thousand miles out of those front two tires, but I would need to replace them soon after. He also mentioned that this is a KNOWN PROBLEM with these Michelin tires. He confirmed that they have contacted Michelin about this tire issue, and Michelin essentially just replied saying that this is just how the tire is... :confused:

My options were to just buy 2 more Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires to replace the worn front two tires (rear tires are fine), or replace all 4. Yesterday, I decided to replace all 4 with Bridgestone 970's, so that I won't have to deal with the defective Michelin's anymore.

I'm assuming your got the Bridgestone RE970AS. If so, how would you compare these tires to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus?

bmering
08-19-2012, 08:16 PM
After reading several posts/threads and online research, i decided to get the Continental ExtremeContact DWS yesterday. Price was a factor but also was tire life was another. My 550i has the 19" option (front: 245/35ZR19 rear:275/30ZR19) and I know you cannot rotate them, but a 50K tire life warranty is good to see. I was able to get 32K mile out of the original tires (Continental Supersports?). I hope to get 30K + miles out of these as I don't want to spend $1300 for tires every yr. Some posts I've read, drivers stat only getting 10-20k miles out of their tires. I dont drive like i stole the car, but I also have fun with it.

Thus far I have noticed a huge difference in the way the car drives and feels. Of course I have more grip (as my previous tires were almost bald), a softer ride as I go over bumps (dont feel them as strong) and less road noise. The technicians said these tires are not a soft thread tire, so tire life would be a little bit longer than the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus which were one of my choices. We will see.

Phoenix1
08-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Have 28K on my DWS, the "S" is barely visible on the tread - meaning they should not be used on snow this winter. So I might get snows and use them again in the Spring...

Can't see spending $ on a new set of all seasons when these still can NE used in "D" dry and "W" wet!

Still have the crappy Goodyear non run flat OEMS with tread for the Spring 2014 - glad I kept them!

Mac Hadley
08-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm going to have to replace my OEM goodyear tires this fall after only 13K

Phoenix1
08-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Mac,

I took off the 17 inch RSA's after 23K. They still have tread, just hated them.

iceman2011
04-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Are the folks having the Sport A/S Plus tire rotting from the edges have X drive ?

tiger16
04-22-2013, 03:48 PM
I just replaced my original Continental's on my 2008 528i. I got 53000 miles out of them at mostly highway driving. My new tires are the Michelin Pilot Sport a/s. love them. The road noise has been drastically reduced. I will report back when I get more miles on them

tony925
04-22-2013, 10:11 PM
If it helps anyone... I put my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's on 3/1/2012 (just over a year ago). 19" staggered set up. I currently have racked up 33,500 miles on them (~70% hwy miles and yes I have a long commute). Naturally the rears are worn much more than the fronts. I'm at around 4/32" on the rears and at 6/32" on the fronts. With the exception of some manageable road noise these tires have lived up to my expectations in terms of performance and wear.

WannabeX5
04-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Glad someone likes these tires. I had a set on my G35 and I returned them on the 30th day of the 30 day return policy because I had never hated a tire so much. I didn't even want to drive the car. It felt like a sponge. THe tires folded over in the corners, howled like a stuck pig, and wouldn't hold the road to save its self. Literally, the worst tire i'v ever sampled. Maybe I had a bad set, but I wasn't impressed.

Got a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and never looked back.

tony925
04-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I will note that I am riding on a non-sport suspension. Just trying to provide some objective feedback about the A/S's. Based on the feedback I read here I figure the performance of the tire has a lot to do with the vehicle it's installed on along with the suspension type, driving style and even the wheel specs. When I was shopping I was drawn to the Pilot Super Sports based on the performance feedback but then leaned toward the A/S's for it's rated all weather handling and tread life. I was bias to these features because this car is my daily driver (and boy do I love it). What I do find a bit odd about other's comments about the premature outer treadwear and possible dry rotting is that I have experienced the opposite. The outer treads of my tires appear to have a bit more tread than the center (maybe from slight overinflation) and the sidewalls still have that "new" tire sheen to them without me ever having to apply dressing to them. This all makes me wonder if Michelin had made some improvements based on post-marketing feedback. One other thing I will mention is that when I special ordered these in the manufacture date was only a couple of months old. Anyhow, I would love to try a set of the Super Sports for comparison when the time comes for new tires. For now, the A/S's have lived up to their ratings (for me).