PDA

View Full Version : BMW Warranty Buyback ... good price?

conrua
06-19-2012, 06:34 PM
All - Hoping to get some different perspective and opinion on a 535i I'm considering. Here's the spec on the car ...

2010 535i Space Gray/Blk Dakota
29K miles
M Sport w/Auto
Premium pkg
Cold pkg
NAV
Multi-contour seats
PDC
Assist and bluetooth

Price $37,888 100K maintenance plan but standard 50K warranty
Reason for buyback: faulty ignition coil (yes it was a CA car)

Based on my research .. this car should list for $42K for non-lemon buyback. The question is the price reasonable? Should I expect more price adjustment (down) for a branded car?

I did test drive it ... if I decide to buy it (given that I can get the right price I will get it inspected by independent shop).

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

PS. I'm still on the fence whether a lemon-buyback is worth the risk ... did BMW really fix the problem(s)? Sorry to throw this on but its really my problem that I have to decide for myself.

wyb
06-19-2012, 07:47 PM
if you plan on keeping it, could be a deal - it might be a hard sell to get rid of it when you move on... so I'd consider that. Price seems OK'ish.

BMW will have fixed the issue - if not, you have more than 1 year of warranty to find issues and get them fixed under warranty (check the in-service date on the car to be sure of warranty time remaining).

I would offer $2k less and see where it goes if you want it.

Thegame6752
06-19-2012, 10:06 PM
+1 with WYB. If you ever to try and get rid of it private or trade, your not going to get anything for a branded car even with the items fixed and it being a beautiful car. But like he said, if your going to keep it for life or don't mind losing $$ when you go to sell, pull the trigger. I was in the same bout a few years ago and opted against it. Keep looking around and you may find something similar not branded with a full 100K warranty. Good luck!

Oceans10
06-20-2012, 08:01 AM
My advice is to research the ownership and repair history. If this car changed hands several times it could mean BMW never properly fixed the problem. You don't want to be the guy left holding the bag.
Think about it, if it were a simple fix like swapping a coil, then why the buyback? No way that is the real reason. That's like saying the car had a flat tire. Something else is going on that they are not telling you about.
Rapid ownership changes at different auctions would be a telltale sign. Or lots of shop visits for a persistent problem (which they couldn't fix!).

If you can't get this info, send me the VIN and I will look it up. That's if you are still intent on buying the car, otherwise give it a pass.

Robert A
06-20-2012, 09:05 AM
You have to ask yourself, if the car could be fixed, why did BMW buy it back? FWIW, I am starting to see similar 535i's at close to that price.

lbcdude
06-20-2012, 09:19 AM
I remember hearing a number of years back that insurance companies will not insure a lemoned vehicle for the same market value as a non-lemoned car (similar to what they do for vehicles that have been previously salvaged). For example, if it gets totaled in an accident, the insurance company may only compensate for a percentage of what they would for a non-lemoned vehicle. Something to talk to your insurance agent about before pulling the trigger.

conrua
06-20-2012, 08:52 PM
My advice is to research the ownership and repair history. If this car changed hands several times it could mean BMW never properly fixed the problem. You don't want to be the guy left holding the bag.
Think about it, if it were a simple fix like swapping a coil, then why the buyback? No way that is the real reason. That's like saying the car had a flat tire. Something else is going on that they are not telling you about.
Rapid ownership changes at different auctions would be a telltale sign. Or lots of shop visits for a persistent problem (which they couldn't fix!).

If you can't get this info, send me the VIN and I will look it up. That's if you are still intent on buying the car, otherwise give it a pass.

Oceans10 - Here's the VIN WBANW1C55AC163936. Appreciate anything you can dig up. Thank you in advance. Apparently this dealer specializes in selling BMW buyback and have been successful with this business over the years. I've checked with BBB and other local members in my area and this dealer checked out ok.

conrua
06-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Appreicate all of the responses. If there's a positive angle on this, I do own and keep my cars for a long time ... the trade-in consideration is not a big deal for me. My last car I kept it for over 8 years with over 200K miles before I retired it. My two current cars are over 5+ years with over 100K miles on one of the two. I don't know that much about BMW's buyback program in CA but this dealer specializes in this type of car sales and have been in business for years. I've checked out this dealer thru BBB and other local members in my area. I think with any used car purchases there will still be the unknown hidden problems dilema ... its a risk.

hadokenuh
06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't think you want to own this car past 120K miles (the HPFP warranty). This car is expensive to fix and maintain. But if you work with cars and stuff, it might be a good choice (although you'll have to rely on the dealer for stuff like electrical or computer related).

Maybe ask the dealer to include the BMW extended warranty?