PDA

View Full Version : advice on E60 550

mikeriley
06-19-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm pretty certain I will be going the route of buying a pre owned '10 E60 550 with M sport. I was a previous owner of a '08 E60 535i and subswquent cars just have not felt as put together as the E60 platform. I was pretty informed back in the day when I did an ED on my last E60 and know some about the 550 but wanted some fellow fans/owners to chime in on must haves and other things to stay away from.

I have found many with the active steering option, what are peoples take on that option, I have driven it and don't mind it but not wild about it either.

Most are equiped the same Msport, CWP, Value pack, logic 7.

any input on some of the other high end options like the radar cruise or even night vision?

Thanks all, looking forward to being back in the E60.

v8power
06-19-2012, 08:40 PM
all i know is the active steering are made to self destruct @ 30-40k miles or when the warranty is out.

other than that the L7 is saahhhweet !!

Mike_K
06-19-2012, 10:12 PM
L7, comfort access, M-tech, sport, SAT trans. Those would be my must haves. If you want to toss in a HUD on top of that I won't turn it down.

2chill
06-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Since you live in the Northeast, the Cold Weather Package should be a "must". Fold down rear seats come in handy more than you would initially think...

phlfly
06-20-2012, 05:35 AM
Folded seat + I don't have one and missing a lot. I couldn't find one.

mikeriley
06-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Yes good advice. I had the gold down rear seat, it was great on my last e60, surprised how rare it is. I drove a SAT model yesterday and that was really nice. Cold weather for the wheel and L7 are absolute musts. Thanks for the active steering advice. Other than reliability how does it perform?

luxcar
06-20-2012, 08:24 AM
In my opinion must have are

M-Sport, SAT, L7, Cold Weather (heated steering wheels is great)

550iMarine
06-20-2012, 11:01 AM
I love mine. I'm curious though, I havent read any posts on the forum about the Active cruise or the night vision packages. Would love to see those reviews. I dont have active steering and from what I read, I'm happy I dont. I would've loved the rear fold down seat option and front/rear cameras. I'll just get the camera's myself though. Otherwise, it's an awesome car with an awesome ride. If you are easy on the throttle (No more than 70-75) on the high way, she'll give you about 27mpg. Not bad for a badazz V8!! I've taken several road trips this year. 1 to NC, 1 to NYC, 1 to SC, 2 to CA and about to go to SC again in a few days. So far, I'm impressed. Only issue I had was a battery that has been resolved. Good luck with your purchase.:thumbup:

Campfamily
06-20-2012, 12:23 PM
iPod integration.

Oceans10
06-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Active steering is one more system waiting to shut down and cause big headaches/expenses. Active cruise is also odd, would you really trust it?

HUD is really nice, especially at night or on long trips. It shows nav commands, makes it easy to get to your destination. I also use mine as an extra precaution against excessive speed. Like cruising on the Jersey turnpike where there are state troopers lurking every half mile. It's so easy to go way over the limit, but the HUD display shows my speed in big orange digits, I don't even have to look down at the speedo.

550iMarine
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Active steering is one more system waiting to shut down and cause big headaches/expenses. Active cruise is also odd, would you really trust it?

HUD is really nice, especially at night or on long trips. It shows nav commands, makes it easy to get to your destination. I also use mine as an extra precaution against excessive speed. Like cruising on the Jersey turnpike where there are state troopers lurking every half mile. It's so easy to go way over the limit, but the HUD display shows my speed in big orange digits, I don't even have to look down at the speedo.

you bring up an interesting point. Would the night vision show hidden troopers?

Campfamily
06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
I wish my car had the HUD. The other options (Active Steering, Lane Departure, Active Cruise, Night Vision) all seem to be problems waiting to happen, and not really adding function that I want. Of course, a few years ago (OK, a bunch of years), I said the same thing about power door locks; why do you need them, you can just lean over and unlock the door, right? Now, can't imagine not having them!!

jim165
06-20-2012, 06:03 PM
The only 2 options I dont have and really wish I did are the HUD and the ventillated seats. Just recently found out that I don't have active steering and judging by the responses here and elsewhere, glad i dont. Wifes FX has active cruise and lane departure and they are annoying as hell. The active cruise will suddenly brake hard while cruising at 70 and clear road ahead. Used it once and never again...

heffdiddy
06-21-2012, 11:16 AM
the one thing i recommend is not coming on here and sharing the details of the sale either before or after. all you are going to hear is that you paid too much and it will ruin the experience for you.

Campfamily
06-21-2012, 12:24 PM
the one thing i recommend is not coming on here and sharing the details of the sale either before or after. all you are going to hear is that you paid too much and it will ruin the experience for you.

LOL. So True!

mikeriley
06-23-2012, 06:53 PM
thats some good advice!

TRS550
06-24-2012, 08:00 AM
My 07 550 is somewhat of a "stripper" model. It has;

No Nav which is no loss as BMW Nav sucks compared to a $100 Garmin

No Active steering. Drove one with it prior to buying mine and the car felt numb.

No Comfort Access. No need. My pants have pockets.

No L7. Stock unit works fine for me.

No HUD. Been driving for almost 40 years....haven't needed one yet.

What it does have is Sport Susp, gobs of HP, gobs of torque and 3 pedals like all cars oughta have.

borderchris
06-24-2012, 09:21 AM
My 07 550 is somewhat of a "stripper" model. It has;

No Nav which is no loss as BMW Nav sucks compared to a $100 Garmin

No Active steering. Drove one with it prior to buying mine and the car felt numb.

No Comfort Access. No need. My pants have pockets.

No L7. Stock unit works fine for me.

No HUD. Been driving for almost 40 years....haven't needed one yet.

What it does have is Sport Susp, gobs of HP, gobs of torque and 3 pedals like all cars oughta have.

That is, without a doubt, the best rationalization of not having cool things on your car that I've ever heard. I, however, am thrilled with my L7, love comfort access, and think that the integrated nav is great. It looks cool, and a heck of a lot better than a $100 piece of junk velcroed to my dash on hanging from my windshield... :rofl:

...But the three pedals is also, without a doubt, the best option possible on this car!

BickUW89
06-24-2012, 11:06 AM
I have found many with the active steering option, what are peoples take on that option, I have driven it and don't mind it but not wild about it either.

I'm going to swim against the current of opinions on AS expressed in this thread so far...

I got it on my 2008 E60 because my wife complained about how hard to steer my E39 was that it was replacing. I was a little reluctant, fearing that AS would rob my chariot of its *feel.* I have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised, and very happy, with the option.

I've become a hard-core E60 lover these last four years, and having owned and E39, E60 and F10, can say unequivocally that the E60 is my favorite. The best part of the E60 experience is the *feel* of the car, particularly the communication through the steering wheel. I absolutely love driving the E60, and IMHO the AS doesn't detract from it one bit. I'm super-satisfied with it.

I've also got just under 64,000 miles on my car, and have yet to have any mechanical problems with any part of it, including AS. Inspect and maintain your car regularly, and don't abuse it, and it will serve you reliably for a long time. Esp the E60's that wear the big boy pants (V8). These cars have proven to be exceptionally reliable.

TRS550
06-24-2012, 01:32 PM
That is, without a doubt, the best rationalization of not having cool things on your car that I've ever heard. I, however, am thrilled with my L7, love comfort access, and think that the integrated nav is great. It looks cool, and a heck of a lot better than a $100 piece of junk velcroed to my dash on hanging from my windshield... :rofl:

...But the three pedals is also, without a doubt, the best option possible on this car!

Thanks. I'm especially proud of why I don't need Comfort Access. :bigpimp:

Roads where I live only require a map. Agree on how ugly a Garmin or any other strap on is.

dwlink
06-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Of the options TRS listed, I think the only one that will be a keeper for me on my next bimmer is the logic 7.

Comfort access: I really don't mind hitting the unlock button on the way to my car. Granted I still have to turn a key to start my car, I don't think its worth it to be able to start the car with the key FOB in your pocket vs a small slot up by the steering wheel.

Active steering: This one is almost a keeper - its certainly nice to have when driving around parking lots, but creates more trouble than its worth when it comes to wheel alignments as it requires special equipment.

Navigation: BMW still has a long way to go - they should really just license the mapping/navigation algorithms from Garmin or someone who knows what they are doing.

HUD: Being a guy who designs aircraft control systems and frequently deals with pilot comments about display interfaces, the HUD on cars absolutely suck. The following features would certainly change my mind though.

1. A digital heading readout - none of this NE, E, SW junk - I mean a real 0-360 heading readout.

2. Engine RPM displayed as a dial with active cues showing the econ RPM, max torque, and max power RPM (cues move as a function of gear selection, outside air temp, etc.)

3. Vehicle detection: Place target reticules over nearby vehicles and display their speed next to the reticule. For safety make the reticule bright red if there is a large speed disparity that could result in a collision (you're going 70, the prius 200 feet in front of you is going 45)

4. User configurable area on part of the HUD: allows you to put up things like current radio station selection, navigation information, incoming calls/texts when paired with a cell phone. Could also have a maintenance page that shows current tire pressures, engine oil temp, coolant temp, oil level, etc.

One thing that would be really slick aside of the HUD enhancements, would be an option for a built-in dash cam (integrated discretely into the top of the dash itself). With android phones now having integrated voice navigation, GPS's are now a redundant device for people with smart phones. Given that just about every smart phone has a camera, a droid (with the right apps) could effectively act as an aftermarket nav and dash cam simultaneously.

Wonder how everyone having a dash cam might affect insurance companies in the long term?

Whew long post - had lots of ideas on my mind.