PDA

View Full Version : How dumb am I?

TannerSV
06-19-2012, 11:14 PM
So I'm thinking about heading down to Summit Point for a "Friday at the Track" experience. They pretty much run you through a short class (apex, passing, etc.) then take you to a skid pad so you can feel limitations of a vehicle (in one of their cars, I've done this before) then they stick a professional instructor in your personal vehicle with you and let you run around the track. It sounds fun and will let me feel actually what the V12 has and how the air suspension of this big girl feels under extreme limits but the only thing I'm worried about is someone hitting me or reversed. I know insurance wont cover track incidents so i'm just trying to get a general outlook on if you would or wouldn't.

PS I have track time (i'm no Valentino Balboni but I'm familiar with a track) but I'm still worried since it's not a "track car." Either way I think it would be fun to throw this big girl on a treadmill! I also do not want to inflict any damage on her though so just looking for thoughts? :dunno::rofl:

TannerSV
06-20-2012, 12:24 AM
38 views and no track guru input?!?! This is a rare sight indeed! Don't hesitate to chime in if you have a V8, I know many of the 7450/750 owners have mentioned in previous post of doing ridiculous corner speeds and having top speeds reaching the limiter, none of which I've done! Just trying to see if a track environment with a typical mix of "mini coups, 3 series, and boxters is a place to run the 7 for fun. Obviously I do not want to be competitive, it is a "fun day" for personal street cars, I just want to be able to let these cylinders run an breathe a little bit and wear out my brakes so I can get akebono's lol. Thoughts?

beamlord
06-20-2012, 01:42 AM
I drove it at the limiter speed on a regular basis, yes. On the autobahn. Which is of course not comparable to the track.
Well I can only tell you I never felt comfortable about taking the e65 to the track. Even in sport, it's just too much of a "whale on wheels" if you know what I mean.
I can imagine, though, that with a custom suspension it would be pretty realistic.
Then again, the quite vulnerable suspension/steering components/bushings/etc of the 7 series will take quite a hit just from a day of constant cornering, so you should keep that in mind.

(I'm in no way a track pro, track time of about 7-8 days in total, and mostly with my S8 which is my fun car)

Seven11
06-20-2012, 01:58 AM
dooo it

post lots of pictures!

here is a video review of a e65 B7 on the track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TEkKvNxeAY

Seven11
06-20-2012, 02:19 AM
here is a new 760Li

i like how the dude is using blinkers on a race track :rofl:

edit: damn! the dude in the 760Li raped on an M roadster, Bentley Continental GT, Ferrari F355 Spider, E92 M3, Ferrari 512... but looked like the Lamborghini Murcielago with a HUGE spoiler just pulled off.

pretty sure it was at least chipped or something

DAMN that 760 is a monster!

Tanner, u gotta rape on some cars and post the video here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7zou8Q7UdA&feature=related

beamlord
06-20-2012, 02:29 AM
here is a new 760Li

l]

Think it's his first time on track or something..Cornering is horrendous. And in general this is just a relaxed driving-around-the-track, not pushing any limits (which makes sense when you're driving a stock 7 series).
However, I already said this in an other thread, I do feel the F01 is a lot more "Track-able" than the e65. It handles so much better!

P.S. The "first time on track" was a dumb comment, I take it back since it's obviously untrue.

Seven11
06-20-2012, 02:36 AM
Think it's his first time on track or something..Cornering is horrendous. And in general this is just a relaxed driving-around-the-track, not pushing any limits (which makes sense when you're driving a stock 7 series).
However, I already said this in an other thread, I do feel the F01 is a lot more "Track-able" than the e65. It handles so much better!

did u watch the whole video?

the dude put some rapage on a lot of cars

beamlord
06-20-2012, 02:44 AM

Raping m3 etc? Did you see how they gave way? Don't think it was even a race, it's a charity event.
The other hobby-race drivers were on the track to have fun. As he motioned the Lambo to move right, you can clearly HEAR that the Lambo stepped off of throttle :D It's not a race, trust me.

The only thing tuned on the 760 were the brakes (according to video desc.)

TannerSV
06-20-2012, 02:49 AM
LoL I like how at 2:37 the bently wing popped up! If I do do it I'm going to do it properly, at least a few go-pro's on the vehicle, front , driver, possibly dash and pedals. I'll keep you updated.

"EDIT" like I said, not looking to go pro with a 760 win over a Miata lol....Just looking to stretch the legs and have some good ole fashioned fun... and the driver in that video appeared to be beyond a regular to that track!

beamlord
06-20-2012, 02:50 AM
Now THIS is racing :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsofZq2pxVA&feature=related

TannerSV
06-20-2012, 04:12 AM
Now THIS is racing :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsofZq2pxVA&feature=related

:rofl: As awesome as that is, it's pea-cocking, not racing.

beamlord
06-20-2012, 04:23 AM
:rofl: As awesome as that is, it's pea-cocking, not racing.

Was actually meant as in, pushing the car a bit, some performance driving. And not some casual cornering on a trackday.

TannerSV
06-20-2012, 04:32 AM
I hear ya, if/when I head down to Summit Point I plan on making it worth it but still there is a difference between chaos and control, in the first video I'm sure the guy was definitely moving faster then it looked, in my Ferrari videos I was moving pretty quick on unfamiliar private roads but you wouldn't guess it from the high camera angle except for a couple 120+ moments. I guess our ideas of "pushing" it slightly vary. :thumbup:

beamlord
06-20-2012, 04:37 AM
I hear ya, if/when I head down to Summit Point I plan on making it worth it but still there is a difference between chaos and control, in the first video I'm sure the guy was definitely moving faster than it looked, in my Ferrari videos I was moving pretty quick on unfamiliar private roads but you wouldn't guess it from the high camera angle. I guess our ideas of "pushing" it slightly vary. :thumbup:

Definitely not implying you should drive like the Styg, au contraire, I'm saying you should really take it easy on your car :thumbup: In any case I bet you will have lots of fun.

TannerSV
06-20-2012, 04:50 AM
Definitely not implying you should drive like the Styg, au contraire, I'm saying you should really take it easy on your car :thumbup: In any case I bet you will have lots of fun.

LoL we'll see.

What part of Germany are you in? I was at Ramstein a few times. You made it to the Nurburgring yet?

beamlord
06-20-2012, 04:59 AM
LoL well see, most things can be replaced. I've already practically replaced half the car with only 65K miles on her so I think it's time to enjoy her (even though I DO NOT believe it is a track car in any way)

What part of Germany are you in? I was at Ramstein a few times. You made it to the Nurburgring yet?

I am in Hamburg which is far up north. Not in the USAFE anymore, although I still work for the US Govt.

Nürburgring is a long drive, so only been there once a few years ago, with my S8.

TannerSV
06-20-2012, 05:23 AM
Got out of the USAF a year and some change ago, been offered a few GOV jobs but the pay wasn't worth the long commute. You are one of the few smart people that stayed overseas lol!

SOUTHERNCOMFORT
06-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Do it man....get on the track:D

Carboy7
06-20-2012, 08:39 PM
DO IT! I want to see a land yacht haul ass!

Now this is an Benz S500 purposely drifting around a track:
http://youtu.be/qyW3fTcIx90

Imagine what your car would do :D

If I was near there I would totally do it

Suri [TBR]
06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Definitely do it man! It sounds like it would be a blast :D I'm sure it would be much better for you if you were sitting on some H&R's or some coils but it should be a phenomenal experience regardless.

Lastcombo
06-24-2012, 09:38 AM
here is a new 760Li

edit: damn! the dude in the 760Li raped on an M roadster, Bentley Continental GT, Ferrari F355 Spider, E92 M3, Ferrari 512... but looked like the Lamborghini Murcielago with a HUGE spoiler just pulled off.

pretty sure it was at least chipped or something

DAMN that 760 is a monster!

Tanner, u gotta rape on some cars and post the video here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7zou8Q7UdA&feature=relatedLol That's in Holland /Netherlands Cirquit Park Zandvoort:thumbup:

TannerSV
06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
;6911022']Definitely do it man! It sounds like it would be a blast :D I'm sure it would be much better for you if you were sitting on some H&R's or some coils but it should be a phenomenal experience regardless.

Those might be a reality soon. Was wondering if throwing H&R's will render the sport/comfort suspension useless. Guess I could just use the "search" button for that though! :)

DriftGirl
06-26-2012, 03:08 PM
uh, wasnt gonna chime in, but here goes........

A novice drive will never realize the limitations of a car. 10 outta 10 times its the drivers limits that are exposed.

I would never let a professional driver take my car to its limits. Ive borrowed track cars for my work but would never take someones daily, "street car" to its limits...**** breaks. 7series are expensive to fix LoL!!

The best thing to do is take the track time to LEARN how to track a car properly. A one day lesson will not take anything to "its limits"...cept your wallet.

Take the time to learn, have a little fun in your car...and dont let a stranger beat on it. He (or she :D ) doesn't have to live with the damage the next morning.

Lastcombo
06-26-2012, 03:14 PM

A novice drive will never realize the limitations of a car. 10 outta 10 times its the drivers limits that are exposed.

I would never let a professional driver take my car to its limits. Ive borrowed track cars for my work but would never take someones daily, "street car" to its limits...**** breaks. 7series are expensive to fix LoL!!

The best thing to do is take the track time to LEARN how to track a car properly. A one day lesson will not take anything to "its limits"...cept your wallet.

Take the time to learn, have a little fun in your car...and dont let a stranger beat on it. He (or she :D ) doesn't have to live with the damage the next morning.Well said,point taken MRS. :thumbup:

collins912
06-26-2012, 03:18 PM

+1 Man he did his thing!!

TannerSV
06-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Take the time to learn, have a little fun in your car...and dont let a stranger beat on it. He (or she :D ) doesn't have to live with the damage the next morning.

Thanks...:dunno: LoL I know you mean well.:thumbup:

EDIT: I can see how the above statement makes me look like a butt head but what I was getting at is I never stated I was going to let someone drive my car, a instructor is with you in the car sitting shotgun and providing advice. Granted I would make it worth my time but I would never step beyond my comfort level, ESPECIALLY when its wheel to wheel "racing" which adds a whole new dynamic and level of caution. It is a real "close" possibility and sounds like a lot of fun but I'm looking into "track -insurance" of some sort because rarely will road insurance cover track use and though I may not be going crazy, who's to say some miata doesn't slam into the back of me? I'm not the type to let my pride become larger than my wallet but either way you gave sound advice. Thanks DriftGirl!

DriftGirl
06-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I hope my post did'nt sound "mean"? :(

I'm a professional precision driver. Ive seen people let other "professionals" show them what their car can do...its not something I would ever do with someones personal car and it makes me cringe when I see it.

A few track days and you'll want to buy something to beat up around the track...its VERY addicting. First time out, I wouldnt suggest driving around other first timers going wheel2wheel. Ive only driven with "others" a few times, but have tons of track time 1on1 with a teacher, or 2on2 stunt driving.

You can trust yourself...but I wouldn't trust the next guy driving next to you.:rofl:

See if they have 1on1, it will cost a little more but you will come out ahead having the instructors full attention.

either way...safety first and have fun!!!

TannerSV
06-27-2012, 08:43 PM
I hope my post did'nt sound "mean"? :(

I'm a professional precision driver. Ive seen people let other "professionals" show them what their car can do...its not something I would ever do with someones personal car and it makes me cringe when I see it.

A few track days and you'll want to buy something to beat up around the track...its VERY addicting. First time out, I wouldnt suggest driving around other first timers going wheel2wheel. Ive only driven with "others" a few times, but have tons of track time 1on1 with a teacher, or 2on2 stunt driving.

You can trust yourself...but I wouldn't trust the next guy driving next to you.:rofl:

See if they have 1on1, it will cost a little more but you will come out ahead having the instructors full attention.

either way...safety first and have fun!!!

Not at all, I was just confused because I didn't say I was going to let an instructor drive my car around the track but either way it's good advice, thanks.