PDA

View Full Version : Brake repair: BMW shop vs independent shop

astrohip
06-20-2012, 07:37 AM
After the fact question. My brakes started acting funny--too much pedal required to stop, at a slow speed slamming the brakes still allowed the car to drift another 2-3 feet, etc. Took it by the BMW dealer here in Houston, my regular service rep immediately diagnosed it: need to replace master cylinder & brake booster. Total bill: $1801.

This sounds crazy high (and yes, I've owned BMW's for almost thirty years, so I know what they cost). And it got me wondering if an independent shop would have been a significant difference.

Here's the details:
Brake servo unit $698
Brake master cylinder $468
Flush & misc parts $75
Labor $561

Assuming apples to apples, which means only BMW factory parts, new, does anyone have a feel for indie shop costs?

It's a 2007 550i sport, with 86,000 miles

Thanks!

Oceans10
06-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Source the parts online and find a reputable indy to swap them out.
Or follow up on the recall notice on that issue, read on: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496773
See SIB 340410, Brakes

If you end up getting your car covered by BMW, then you owe Nube a dinner for posting the information. Steak dinner with fine wine! Metropolitan Grill.

heffdiddy
06-20-2012, 09:47 AM
like oceans said the booster should be covered under the recall. if you need a good indy shop send me a pm and ill give you the info.