PDA

View Full Version : Wipers on whenever start car

rkruz
06-20-2012, 10:18 AM
I didnt find other posts with this issue....perhaps someone can suggest whats wrong?
2008 750i
When I start the car, the window cleaner and headlight sprays and the wipers go through 3 cycles. (This happened once when I just put the key in without starting).
Tried with rain sense on or off and with rain sensitivity set at either extreme.

I test drove the car before I bought it several times and this never happened.

Any thoughts on a car setting Im missing or other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help!

rkruz
06-25-2012, 02:04 PM
also occasionally when I turn off the car it will spray. Im being very careful not to touch the wiper stem. Seems a Gremlin has settled into my car.

stuartjohn24
06-25-2012, 02:24 PM
also occasionally when I turn off the car it will spray. Im being very careful not to touch the wiper stem. Seems a Gremlin has settled into my car.

Hi, Can you pull the stalk towards you to manually initiate the spray program? The stalk is not mechanically stuck in any way?

I would hazard a guess that either the SZL or WIM module is faulty if mechanically the stalk looks OK. The SZL is the assembly that all the steering column switches/levers connect to. The WIM is the wiper module itself.

Its pretty complicated, The stalk switch connects to the SZL, the information is converted to fibre optic 'byteflight' and sent to the safety integration module (SIM) this then sends a CAN message to the central gateway module (ZGM) and that then puts the message on the body CAN to the WIM module!

I would suggest getting the codes read from the listed modules.

Hope this helps rather than complicate the matter! :)

Stuart

DFEL750I
06-25-2012, 03:04 PM
If you are not having issues with other steering controls I would not suspect the SZL to be the problem. As Stuart suggested there might be a mechanical issue with the wiper control in the car. I would also be surprised if there was an issue with the wiper module itself.

stuartjohn24
06-25-2012, 03:33 PM
If you are not having issues with other steering controls I would not suspect the SZL to be the problem. As Stuart suggested there might be a mechanical issue with the wiper control in the car. I would also be surprised if there was an issue with the wiper module itself.

Possibly, Im not sure exactly how the SZL works, and if certain failures can affect other functions. It could well be the electrical contact in the stalk jammed or has poor continuity making the SZL think the stalk is being pulled back all the time (all depends how the signal is registered by the SZL) can the SZL detect a state change? i.e. can you manually activate the wash/wipe using the stalk?.

The wiper control oddly is one of the more complicated systems on the car being that the control messages have to be transferred between so many modules.

This is one of the more stranger problems I've heard of!

rkruz
06-25-2012, 03:47 PM
OK. thanks for the input.

The wiper stalk works fine with all functions, as do all the steering colum stalks and controls. I have wiggled the wiper stalk without actuating a function to see if it was sensitive to vibration but nothing occured. It doesnt happend 100% of time now. Maybe 1/2 the time. When I test drove the car initially before purchase a few times, there was no hint of a problem there.

The only behaviour I can point to that might be related is that the window washer fluid resevoir became empty, I got a IDrive message to fill, and thats when the problem began. When turning the car off it would try to pump a dry resevoir. This happened only twice before I filled up the resevoir. Was thinking it was a software loop it got into somehow becuase of the dry resevoir.

Im going to take car to dealer anyway to have rims repaired. Ill ask them to look into it and mention your thoughts on the modules. Hoping it will be covered under the after market warranty.
Thank you again for the advise.

I love this car. I told my wife I asked the car to move in with me and share my medicine cabinet. She said it took me a year before I asked her. BMW was only 3 days:)

stuartjohn24
06-25-2012, 03:55 PM
OK. thanks for the input.

The wiper stalk works fine with all functions, as do all the steering colum stalks and controls. I have wiggled the wiper stalk without actuating a function to see if it was sensitive to vibration but nothing occured. It doesnt happend 100% of time now. Maybe 1/2 the time. When I test drove the car initially before purchase a few times, there was no hint of a problem there.

The only behaviour I can point to that might be related is that the window washer fluid resevoir became empty, I got a IDrive message to fill, and thats when the problem began. When turning the car off it would try to pump a dry resevoir. This happened only twice before I filled up the resevoir. Was thinking it was a software loop it got into somehow becuase of the dry resevoir.

Im going to take car to dealer anyway to have rims repaired. Ill ask them to look into it and mention your thoughts on the modules. Hoping it will be covered under the after market warranty.
Thank you again for the advise.

I love this car. I told my wife I asked the car to move in with me and share my medicine cabinet. She said it took me a year before I asked her. BMW was only 3 days:)

HA HA, the 7 is quick to fall in love with!

No worries, as its an intermittent fault you will need to try and demonstrate the problem to the dealer, I can bet you it will work flawlessly though! :rofl:

Let us know how it goes!

rkruz
07-04-2012, 09:42 AM
I took to the BMW dealer to look at several things including the wiper issue. The day I took it in the wipers started every time I started the car and the dealer was able to verify it.
They diagnosed it as a wipe switch module and will be replacing that under the warranty.
Service rep said he has never seen this problem before.

I hope that does fixes it and its not a gremlin interconnect problem somewhere. I wont know until I pick up the car next week.

rkruz
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
FYI. Dealer made wiper repair by replacing wiper switch, I guess within steering column. Appears to be working. Under warranty but the cost was $350.