PDA

View Full Version : Wastegate extended warranty? (GOT IT THIS TIME!)

burnie35
06-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Found this pdf on another forum:

If someone here has already posted the info, I apologize ... but thought it should be diseminated.

Munich77
06-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Great thanks for posting!

Mac Hadley
06-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks, good to know.

BMW535xia
06-21-2012, 06:35 AM
good info as above ^^^ thanks. i would like to view any discussions of posters on another forum if possible.

HPIA4v2
06-21-2012, 07:05 AM
But what happens if the other turbo's wastegate (cylinder 4-6) is busted, that one I heard even less accessable meaning mundo-jumbo labor if need to be replaced. Well at least we're covered on one of them.

wyb
06-21-2012, 07:30 AM
it looks like this PDF is incomplete - ie, there are more pages but not in this PDF... :dunno:

yep - it says 8 pages on the header.... only 2 in the PDF

rijc99
06-21-2012, 09:48 AM
What are the symptoms?

burnie35
06-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I know no more than what I posted. Since only 2 pages are shown maybe someone here knows how to get the rest. I don't know how to get at the service bulletins. I just feel that it might be something to investigate.

NoQuarter
06-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Here is a video I made of what I think is the rattle. I get it looked at next week.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/NoQuarter1/?action=view&current=63a2efef.mp4

Demich1
06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
NoQuarter - Thanks for posting the actuall noise this makes! And thanks Burnie53 for posting the PDF as well!!

I just bought an '08 535xi two weeks ago and of course I didn't hear anything until the warm weather came in and drove with the windows open. Just got off the phone with the dealer and he said that pretty much all of them make that noise and there won't be any damage to the enginge or performance.

Is this true??

NoQuarter
06-22-2012, 01:18 PM
NoQuarter - Thanks for posting the actuall noise this makes! And thanks Burnie53 for posting the PDF as well!!

I just bought an '08 535xi two weeks ago and of course I didn't hear anything until the warm weather came in and drove with the windows open. Just got off the phone with the dealer and he said that pretty much all of them make that noise and there won't be any damage to the enginge or performance.

Is this true??

I have had mine for a year and it didn't make that noise until about 2 weeks ago. Just because they think they "all" do it doesn't make it acceptable. That is the point of this warranty extension I think. First manufacturer resists fixing the problem, dealers explain it away as "they all do it" because they have no power to fix it. Eventually manufacturer relents and makes it easier to get fixed.

That said, there is no reason to think any damage to the engine will happen and it shouldn't affect performance. Still doesn't mean we should have to put up with that terrible noise. Mine in the video is minor - it will just get worse and become really embarrassing.

Demich1
06-23-2012, 08:45 AM
I agree!! Thanks for the feedback and support! I'm calling the dealer Monday (armed with more info) and work toward getting this resolved!

Thanks again!