PDA

View Full Version : Dealer swapped new tires for old ones

II Kings 9:20
06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
DO NOT TRUST THE CPO INSPECTION OR PROCESS

Many of you are familiar with my suspension problems which were related to old/bad tires and thanks again for all the well wishes.

I checked the records from BMW of Ft Myers and new tires were installed just last summer at 44K miles.

To my shock and awe, there is an entry on the same page stating "'TIRES AND WHEELS SWAPPED OUT"

That would explain why a forum member noticed that I have '05/06 wheels on my car and why the proper '08 spare is a different wheel. This would also explain why my tires have a 2005 build date.

Note the wheels in my signature compared to the '08 spare

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/ocuflox/Autos/th_2011-10-0110-15226.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v258/ocuflox/Autos/?action=view&current=2011-10-0110-15226.jpg)

As you may know, new rear tires solved my suspension problems.

I just ordered new front tires because I am so thrilled with the way the rear end is planted with new tires.

The bit of steering wheel kick I get on bumps (that I now notice since the car is no longer jutting sideways) is likely related to the front tires.

dgoodsell
06-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Bro my dealer did the same thing to me. They swapped my wheels out for the same ones you have on your car now. I have a spare that is a sports style was kinda pissed about it but couldn't do anything about it. Got 22's on it now and use my OEMs for winter.

johndade
06-20-2012, 06:30 PM
What kind of tires did you get? Your absolutely right cpo is a joke your better off to find a low mileage in goid condition with factory warranty remaining and get extended warranty and you will come out ahead rather then pay premium for cpo.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Bimmer App

dgoodsell
06-20-2012, 06:32 PM
What kind of tires did you get? Your absolutely right cpo is a joke your better off to find a low mileage in goid condition with factory warranty remaining and get extended warranty and you will come out ahead rather then pay premium for cpo.

Thats funny because thats what I did. I couldn't see myself paying $10K more for a CPO with more miles. When I picked mine up it only had 35K miles just got an extended warranty with it. No serious issues to date, have had my share of L7 issues but who hasn't.

06-20-2012, 06:45 PM
I got General G Max Z in the stock size for both front and rear. Very highly rated on tire rack . Time will tell, the proof is in the pudding not in the recipe. I got all four at Tire Rack for $830 shipped directly to Sears and they did a great job mounting and balancing for $16 each. No extra charges for tire pressure monitor rebuild or other foolishness that other places charge. They also used a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts to proper spec and correctly recommended that I return in 50 miles to have them re torqued. while Gen. is not a popular brand, I have had very good luck with the last two sets of Generals that I bought. They are now part of the Continental family and made in Portugal, not in China

My CPO was a pretty good deal. I almost bought an 06 from Carmax at $36,000 which was clearly inflated and wound up getting an 08 CPO for $38,000. I purchased mine with 44,000 miles on it in September 2011

johndade
06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Thats what i did to when i bought mine got it with 30k miles in good condition. Dealers were wanting 8-10 k more for some with more miles. I am also looking for a new set i think im gonna go with conti dws or dw since mine never sees snow.

dgoodsell
06-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Thats what i did to when i bought mine got it with 30k miles in good condition. Dealers were wanting 8-10 k more for some with more miles. I am also looking for a new set i think im gonna go with conti dws or dw since mine never sees snow.

I got the continental dsw extremes on my stocks and love them. Great tires at a reasonable price

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App

johndade
06-20-2012, 07:25 PM
How would you compare those as far as treadlife performance etc? Sorry to the op i kinda highjacked your thread

dgoodsell
06-20-2012, 07:37 PM
How would you compare those as far as treadlife performance etc? Sorry to the op i kinda highjacked your thread

can't really say only put about 1k miles on them and only have them on in the winter time.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Bimmer App

06-20-2012, 08:33 PM

It's cool, I hijack all the time. I looked at the DWS also but thinking I might need bushings I went with the G based on my own experience with the Altimax and Altimax Winter and good ratings for the G Max at a great price.

Had I known at the time I would not have to drop $1500 on bushings, I might have gone with a higher end but I doubt it. I like General though this is the first experience with their Z rated tire. Pirelli rides too noisy and has short tread life (as do all Z tires) and Michelin is for Lotto winners. Conti and Hankook looked good as did Summitomo.

06-21-2012, 06:03 AM
One other point: The dealer has every right to switch wheels before you buy it just as any of us can put on aftermarket wheels and sell the originals on Craigslist. If the new buyer does not like the wheels then don't buy it.

My point is that a CPO car with it's premium price should have the stock wheels and proper tires (not just minimum tread depth). e.g. a car can not be CPO'd if there are not two keys according to the dealer. If not, then what does "Certified" really mean. We know that it is a marketing term that means NOTHING.

dgoodsell
06-21-2012, 06:51 AM
One other point: The dealer has every right to switch wheels before you buy it just as any of us can put on aftermarket wheels and sell the originals on Craigslist. If the new buyer does not like the wheels then don't buy it.

My point is that a CPO car with it's premium price should have the stock wheels and proper tires (not just minimum tread depth). e.g. a car can not be CPO'd if there are not two keys according to the dealer. If not, then what does "Certified" really mean. We know that it is a marketing term that means NOTHING.

Great point....and I agree. If it is called "Certified" then it should still be the way it left the lot originally.