PDA

View Full Version : Is abnormal tire wear normal for our cars?

uwhusky
06-21-2012, 08:32 AM
I posted earlier about a set of Falken tires I had that on the outside appeared OK but when I got down on the ground and looked at the entire tire, including the inside it was really bad (to the point I could see steel belts showing).

Is this normal for BMWs or our 5-series cars or is there another problem.

What I saw on the rear tires was the outside of the tire where you can see when simply walking up to the car appeared OK but when I got down on the ground to see the inside edge (closest to the middle of the car) it was worn really bad.

I can't rotate tires since it's a staggered setup so the tire and rim stays in the same location for the life of the tire.

phlfly
06-21-2012, 08:44 AM
I use 2-3 psi more from BMW sticker on side of the door, because my tires started to wear same way as you described.

BickUW89
06-21-2012, 09:06 AM
When I got down on the ground and looked at the entire tire, including the inside it was really bad (to the point I could see steel belts showing).

Is this normal for BMWs or our 5-series cars or is there another problem.

Yes, it is normal, and to be expected. It's a direct result of the negative camber of the rear wheels, which is designed intentionally to give the car better lateral control and cornering ability. The camber angle is very noticeable when you stand behind the car. Fairly obvious why you're getting greater wear on the inside edge.

Just part of the cost of owning The Ultimate Driving Machine. You're going to go through expensive tires faster than you would with a Ford Crown Vic.

uwhusky
06-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes, it is normal, and to be expected. It's a direct result of the negative camber of the rear wheels, which is designed intentionally to give the car better lateral control and cornering ability. The camber angle is very noticeable when you stand behind the car. Fairly obvious why you're getting greater wear on the inside edge.

Just part of the cost of owning The Ultimate Driving Machine. You're going to go through expensive tires faster than you would with a Ford Crown Vic.

That's what I thought.

RTH22
06-21-2012, 05:20 PM
I was having the same problem with my 06 550i. I recently had an alignment and my rear tires tend to last longer.

TRS550
06-22-2012, 09:56 AM
This

And this

I was having the same problem with my 06 550i. I recently had an alignment and my rear tires tend to last longer.

When you take the car for an alignment, ask the tech to set the camber to the least negative value possible and still be within spec. You may give up some very small amount of handling capabilities but I doubt you'll notice.

FWIW.... if these cars are driven aggresively thru the twisties, the outer edges of the tires will see significant loading and the tires will wear more evenly. If most of your driving is on the straights, then the negative camber will eat the inside edges in a hurry.

Bostoned
06-22-2012, 11:51 AM
I can't rotate tires since it's a staggered setup so the tire and rim stays in the same location for the life of the tire.

What do you mean by staggered setup?

xDrive McGee
06-22-2012, 12:55 PM
What do you mean by staggered setup?

He means wider tires in the rear versus the front instead of same width for all 4...

NoQuarter
06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
and... the wider the tire the more pronounced the affect of the negative camber on the inside edge.

Smitten
06-22-2012, 06:50 PM
I would like a bit more straight line stability, and would be willing to trade off a little cornering ability to get it. Is it possible to tweak the alignment specs to achieve this?

TRS550
06-22-2012, 07:09 PM
I would like a bit more straight line stability, and would be willing to trade off a little cornering ability to get it. Is it possible to tweak the alignment specs to achieve this?

See post #6.