PDA

View Full Version : 2008 535xi

MrKB2U
06-22-2012, 06:29 AM
Bimmer fans...I'm driving down the highway yesterday and the engine light comes on; message..."Engine Malfunction"...just bought it last week. I hear it could be some sort of fuel pump issue or sensor. Continued driving for another 10 min to destination. Turned car off for about an hour. When started back up...light was off. Still get it checked?

Secondly when I accelerate from a stop light there seems (to me anyway) to be some delay or drag in between RPM 1 and 2...common? It's not really noticeable but it is to me.

Sincerely,
First Time Bimmer Owner

NoQuarter
06-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Bimmer fans...I'm driving down the highway yesterday and the engine light comes on; message..."Engine Malfunction"...just bought it last week. I hear it could be some sort of fuel pump issue or sensor. Continued driving for another 10 min to destination. Turned car off for about an hour. When started back up...light was off. Still get it checked?

Secondly when I accelerate from a stop light there seems (to me anyway) to be some delay or drag in between RPM 1 and 2...common? It's not really noticeable but it is to me.

Sincerely,
First Time Bimmer Owner

No delays are common. This engine can and will run perfect. Both of these issues you describe are common though if maintenance is overdue.

Do you have a CPO coverage?

1) Check with a dealer to verify if all known recall work has been done (fuel pump, etc)
2) Replace your plugs
3) Read the error codes to see what caused the half-engine light.
- might need a new coil pack (or more)
- might need a new fuel injector (or more)
4) Rough idle and continued hesitation might require cleaning the intake valves
5) Have dealer verify that ALL injectors are installed properly (this gets messed up by some dealer service techs)

MrKB2U
06-22-2012, 06:48 AM
I do not have CPO coverage and I am not even sure I know what that is. I have an extended warranty. I checked the error message and it just said "Engine Malfunction"...Operate at reduced speed. Go to Dealer, etc. All other status checks we're lighted green "OK"....

Dealer I'm afraid will charge me an arm and a leg to do those work that may need to be done. But that's why happens when you have this car. There is a reputable place in town that only works on BMW's. Been in business for last 20 years....

Mac Hadley
06-22-2012, 08:21 AM
I've had this problem several times on my 535xI, 2008. A restart clears the warning. Have made on trip to the dealer, cleared a "low boost code", then car checked out. Happened a couple of times since, so will go back to the dealer.
I've had the fuel pump and 5 injectors replaced.
Check out the previous thread for other folks experiences.

Oceans10
06-22-2012, 08:23 AM
No delays are common. This engine can and will run perfect. Both of these issues you describe are common though if maintenance is overdue.

Do you have a CPO coverage?

1) Check with a dealer to verify if all known recall work has been done (fuel pump, etc)
2) Replace your plugs
3) Read the error codes to see what caused the half-engine light.
- might need a new coil pack (or more)
- might need a new fuel injector (or more)
4) Rough idle and continued hesitation might require cleaning the intake valves
5) Have dealer verify that ALL injectors are installed properly (this gets messed up by some dealer service techs)

+1 on this. Have BMW check it out as you may be covered by various recall policies. They can read the stored error codes and possibly pin down the issue. Then decide whether to let them fix them or go to an independent, depending on what comes up. Things like coil packs and spark plugs you can do yourself probably.
It could even be as simple as a low octane gas, so you realy need a diagnostic check. This can also be done by anyone who has an Autologic.

NoQuarter
06-22-2012, 09:22 AM
I do not have CPO coverage and I am not even sure I know what that is. I have an extended warranty. I checked the error message and it just said "Engine Malfunction"...Operate at reduced speed. Go to Dealer, etc. All other status checks we're lighted green "OK"....

Dealer I'm afraid will charge me an arm and a leg to do those work that may need to be done. But that's why happens when you have this car. There is a reputable place in town that only works on BMW's. Been in business for last 20 years....

- You can get codes read for free at Autozone. Get them and post them here.
- The dealer will do recall work for free. Should be able to call them, give them your VIN number and they will look it up.

- I am a couple hours north of you. If you are interested in learning more about your car and how to do some minor work I would be happy to spend an afternoon with you.

MrKB2U
06-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Today just happens to be my wedding day, so I will get AutoZones feedback Monday!

2chill
06-22-2012, 10:47 PM
I would not recommend going to Autozone with a BMW. I also wouldn't recommend writing blogs on Bimmerfest on one's wedding day, but whatever float's your boat...

Congratulations anyways!

Munich77
06-23-2012, 06:57 AM
Today just happens to be my wedding day, so I will get AutoZones feedback Monday!

Enjoy your wedding weekend and stop worrying about the car. Take it to a dealer - the problem you are having is well documented with the 535.

NoQuarter
06-23-2012, 07:13 AM
I would not recommend going to Autozone with a BMW.

Why not? They can't read OBD codes at Autozone?

MrKB2U
07-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Ok well I didn't take it to AutoZone, I took it to a BMW shop here in Indianapolis. Long story short...three items were on recall. Battery cable, fuel pump and injectors. They did some updated programming as well. Car runs even better now.