PDA

View Full Version : Updates on my update

ArtchredTTU
06-22-2012, 08:10 AM
So after driving the car for a few days, my transmission is still having the harsh gear change, when coming to a stop. What is this mechatronics sleeve issue everyones been talking about? I want call my advisor today and inform her about the possible mechatronics sleeve issue..

Thanks for the help guys :)

Oceans10
06-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Do a search. I must have posted the docs 15 times in various threads. Get off your ass and do the work!

ArtchredTTU
06-22-2012, 08:22 AM
Do a search. I must have posted the docs 15 times in various threads. Get off your ass and do the work!

Tough crowd today :bigpimp: jk jk, sounds good I'll see what I can find. Thanks

heffdiddy
06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
im probably wrong but i thought the mechatronics issue was limited to the 545's.

Oceans10
06-22-2012, 10:50 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_6HP26_transmission

This is the 6 speed ZF tranny that goes into most or all auto E60s.

racooper3
06-22-2012, 07:34 PM

Amen Bro. Not to be rude, but don't be lazy if you want survive this board. Do the search. Search mechatronic and e60. You own a BMW and want to take care of it. You have to learn how to do that if you want to keep the car, or you have butt loads of money to throw at the dealer. Depending on the dealer, they'll be happy to make up reasons to take it.

Good Luck.

Update: Read this entire thread and you'll get an idea about what to look for and how to fix. Very good detail on last page 17. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401524&page=17

racooper3
06-22-2012, 07:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_6HP26_transmission

This is the 6 speed ZF tranny that goes into most or all auto E60s.

Oceans10.. the newer Fxx 5xxs are using the new ZF 8 speed auto tranny. Think they worked the bugs out by now. Don't know why 6 speed was designed with the defect and what they did in mechatronic to fix it. Really not happy :mad: with ZF nor BMW on this issue. Mine isn't bad but will need replacing in another 25 to 50K. At least I hope I make it that long. :dunno:

Oceans10
06-22-2012, 08:02 PM
It's a plastic sleeve that keeps various electronic connectors from being bathed in hot transmission fluid. Given constant exposure to high temperatures and pressure it decays and starts to crack and fray. Poor choice of material. Good news is the part is cheap, so if you are comfortable draining the fluid and dropping the pan it could be a cheap DIY job.
Not sure what the story is on the new 8 speeds in the F10 models.

ArtchredTTU
06-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Oceans10.. the newer Fxx 5xxs are using the new ZF 8 speed auto tranny. Think they worked the bugs out by now. Don't know why 6 speed was designed with the defect and what they did in mechatronic to fix it. Really not happy :mad: with ZF nor BMW on this issue. Mine isn't bad but will need replacing in another 25 to 50K. At least I hope I make it that long. :dunno:

I hear ya, fortunately I am still covered under warranty for another year so till then, all my troubles are going to the stealership :p. But thanks for the heads up!