PDA

View Full Version : Darned United Airlines...

White05X3
06-22-2012, 07:49 AM
I am leaving today for my ED. Our air reservations were made months ago. More than one month ago I paid to upgrade the four of us (me, wife, 12 and 8 year old sons) to Economy Plus (E+). Had reserved seats in a great configuration. The aircraft was listed as the 3-3-3 configuration. So I had three of us together, and one across the aisle in the aisle seat.

I went to bed Tuesday night with seats all set. Wake-up Wednesday morning to find that UA had changed to a 2-5-2 configuration plane with fewer E+ seats. My family was bumped DOWN from E+ and separated all throughout the economy cabin. :mad:

A few phone calls to United revealed that there are no available seats so there is nothing they can do to fix their mistake. Basically I was told (and I am paraphrasing) "too bad."

After doing some research on flyertalk it became obvious to me that UA has had a major issue with seat assignments following their merger with Continental. My experience is apparently quite common. Some blame the different aircraft configurations, while others blame Continental's seat assignment software SHARES.

Regardless of the root cause, my advice to people considering air travel is to avoid UA. There are plenty of other carriers, many of whom tend to honor seat assignments. Please help send a message to the carriers that customer service matters.

Thanks. End of rant.

Me530
06-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Did they refund you the E+ cost?

Kamdog
06-22-2012, 11:20 AM
I always fly a European carrier when I go there. I like Virgin Atlantic to London. The only one I was not happy with was KLM.

b-y
06-23-2012, 12:46 PM
I have completely given up on UA. My father was a charter member in the original "100,000 Mile Club", pre-frequent flyer. ** (See pix of fob below.) I was at some high level of Premier. But stuff like you describe started in 2000 or so, pre-meltdown; don't blame the recent CO merger. I decided my Red Carpet Club membership was not worth it and dropped it. I don't fly as often now, but we use Hawaiian for our annual trip there, LH for the nonstop to MUC, Virgin Atl to LHR, and Southwest and Jet Blue domestically.

My suggestion is to give up on UA, telling them and every air traveler you know.

** My sister is visiting, and I told her about this tread. She has the framed "100,000 Mile Club" certificate that was sent to our father.

X3 Skier
06-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I have a UA 100K paperweight someplace from my early days but almost all of my miles are with TWA/AA, US and DL.

Probably have not flown UA since the 60's

Cheers