PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this is and what it does?

javed13
06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/23hnecm.jpg

aliazfar
06-22-2012, 04:28 PM
for tow?

BickUW89
06-22-2012, 04:29 PM
It's a tow hitch hard point. That plastic cover pops off. In your tool kit you have a threaded eye-bolt that threads into the hole under the plastic cover.

It's there for towing the car (although I've never seen it used before).

racooper3
06-22-2012, 07:08 PM
If you ever need to tow, make sure the tow service uses it and not your aluminum suspension. I caught a guy trying to put his hooks on my aluminum struts and I just about ripped him a new one. Made him hook up the tow ring to the bumper and pull up on the flatbed that way. Nothing like letting an idiot ruin your suspension. They think they are the pros at towing, but don't really give a darn about your car. Also make them use the tire straps to secure the car to the flatbed. They have to be carefull not to put to much opposing stress on the wheels so as not to damage linkage, etc. Friendly reminders and watching them the entire time will ensure less damage to your already ailing vehicle.

BTW, the tow ring should be in your tool kit mounted to the underside of your trunk. Oblong ring with threaded end for screwing into the bumper. If you don't have one, stop by your dealer and get one so it is there when/if you need it.

Kamdog
06-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I have an extra one. PM me if you need it.

It looks like a loop with a screw on one end.

njlou
06-22-2012, 07:30 PM
BTW be careful how you remove it.
Push in on the embossed area. A screwdriver will mar it.

BMW535xia
06-23-2012, 05:25 AM
there's a "tow point" located on the front bumper as well.

Mac Hadley
06-23-2012, 05:40 AM
Also, at least for the all wheel drive models, I believe you need to use a tool from the kit to make an adjustment under the gear shift boot for the transmission.

javed13
06-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the reply guys!

booyaazaa
06-23-2012, 02:26 PM
It's a tow hitch hard point. That plastic cover pops off. In your tool kit you have a threaded eye-bolt that threads into the hole under the plastic cover.

It's there for towing the car (although I've never seen it used before).

You use it when you need to get your vehicle onto a flatbed tow truck after you put in the tow hook.