PDA

View Full Version : INPA on windows 7 -64 bit

sirstopher
06-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Has anyone here in THIS forum gotten this to work? I have 5.02 it loads and the battery and ignition bubbles are black but I have no F keys for any of the models, just f1 and f2

Thanks for the push to DIY

sirstopher
06-22-2012, 11:27 PM
I wanted to ask this before I add a partition to my HD and install XP SP3

Yes I am also searching....

Thanks

pkathee
06-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Has anyone here in THIS forum gotten this to work? I have 5.02 it loads and the battery and ignition bubbles are black but I have no F keys for any of the models, just f1 and f2

Thanks for the push to DIY

What system configuration of Win7 edition do you have?..........Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate?

TakeItEasy
06-23-2012, 07:42 AM
I have 5.02 running ok on Win7 Home Premium 64 bit.

sirstopher
06-23-2012, 08:43 AM
I have Windows 7 Home Premium, can someone give me the link, a good one, to the 5.02.

Why are there no cars listed, I have to get them off of rapidshare.

mawana
06-23-2012, 08:44 AM
INPA works for me on Win7 Pro 64-bit. NCS-Expert doesn't run though...

sirstopher
06-23-2012, 08:44 AM
I have 5.02 running ok on Win7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Thanks, I will now move in this direction. I have SSS and Progman running thru a VM.

sirstopher
06-23-2012, 08:51 AM
INPA works for me on Win7 Pro 64-bit. NCS-Expert doesn't run though...

I am aware that NCS is 32 bit only, I have just seen other members have INPA on windows 7, I have all the software for 32 bit machine, just don't have a box with XP loaded.

Just trying to make a decision on what computer I need to build this on.

I am new , totally green, on the coding part, but have built many computers in the past, now everything comes preloaded.

pkathee
06-23-2012, 12:17 PM
I am aware that NCS is 32 bit only, I have just seen other members have INPA on windows 7, I have all the software for 32 bit machine, just don't have a box with XP loaded.

Just trying to make a decision on what computer I need to build this on.

I am new , totally green, on the coding part, but have built many computers in the past, now everything comes preloaded.

Reason why I asked you about Win7 edition is cuz I wanted to configure whether your current set up is capable of supporting Windows XPmode virtual machine. Of which Home premium does not. Only Professional and Ultimate does.

I tried uploading both INPA and NCSExpert via Win 7 (32 & 64 bit) numerous times but was unsuccessful. You might get lucky with INPA but NCSExpert simply will not work.

Anyway, you have the following options;

1) Upload a Virtual Machine (VMware) then install a non- Win7 OS (Windows XP, Vista etc) within the virtual machine and run your BMW tools program from there. Drawback with this approach is VMware Virtual Machine program is quite expensive (close to $150-$200). Then you must acquire a different Windows OS (XP, Vista) which is also pricey unless you have a functional product key sitting around somewhere.

2) Second option, purchase the 'Anytime Upgrade' product key (around $86 from Microsoft) and convert your Win7 home premium to Professional- whole process takes 10 minutes tops. This way, you will be able to upload and mount Microsoft XPmode (FREE of charge) then run all your BMW tools using this Virtual machine.

Trust me, I have tried both approaches and VMWare is quite hectic. Sometimes the system will crash or you'll incur un-mountable dic boot error during start up.

Upgrading to Win7 Professional is the best approach. Not only you eradicated the hustle and headache of installing a new Windows OS in a VMware machine but it keeps the whole set up really simple and organized. No need to build a different computer either.

Both INPA and NCSExpert work flawless and you can dedicate the XPmode for your BMW programming tools instead of scattering the files all over Win7.

Also, I only paid $50 instead of $86 for the upgrade product key fee. I have a friend who works for Microsoft and he gets employee discount on all their products. I can hook you up if interested.

sirstopher
06-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Reason why I asked you about Win7 edition is cuz I wanted to configure whether your current set up is capable of supporting Windows XPmode virtual machine. Of which Home premium does not. Only Professional and Ultimate does.

I tried uploading both INPA and NCSExpert via Win 7 (32 & 64 bit) numerous times but was unsuccessful. You might get lucky with INPA but NCSExpert simply will not work.

Anyway, you have the following options;

1) Upload a Virtual Machine (VMware) then install a non- Win7 OS (Windows XP, Vista etc) within the virtual machine and run your BMW tools program from there. Drawback with this approach is VMware Virtual Machine program is quite expensive (close to $150-$200). Then you must acquire a different Windows OS (XP, Vista) which is also pricey unless you have a functional product key sitting around somewhere.

2) Second option, purchase the 'Anytime Upgrade' product key (around $86 from Microsoft) and convert your Win7 home premium to Professional- whole process takes 10 minutes tops. This way, you will be able to upload and mount Microsoft XPmode (FREE of charge) then run all your BMW tools using this Virtual machine.

Trust me, I have tried both approaches and VMWare is quite hectic. Sometimes the system will crash or you'll incur un-mountable dic boot error during start up.

Upgrading to Win7 Professional is the best approach. Not only you eradicated the hustle and headache of installing a new Windows OS in a VMware machine but it keeps the whole set up really simple and organized. No need to build a different computer either.

Both INPA and NCSExpert work flawless and you can dedicate the XPmode for your BMW programming tools instead of scattering the files all over Win7.

Also, I only paid $50 instead of $86 for the upgrade product key fee. I have a friend who works for Microsoft and he gets employee discount for all their products. I can hook you up if interested.

Sounds great, I will send you a pm with my contact info. Thanks a ton.

sirstopher
06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
I also contacted the eBay seller about the description in his listing stating that the INPA software would work on Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

pkathee
06-23-2012, 07:55 PM
I also contacted the eBay seller about the description in his listing stating that the INPA software would work on Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

I just responded to you PM.

INPA will work on Win 7 64bit if you install it using Windows XP SP3 Compatibility Mode. However, this is NOT possible with NCSExpert.

My point is, if you only care about INPA, you could get away without uploading and running any Virtual Machine. If you want NCSExpert and other BMW program, it is inevitable.

Trust me, I have exhausted all possible options. Also, due to recent computer glitch, I have installed and re-installed BMW program tool software over a dozen times already.

The first time it took me about 3 days to figure out WTF I was doing. But right now, I can get the whole set up and running from scratch in less than 30 minutes.

sirstopher
06-24-2012, 03:12 PM
1. Pkathee knows his stuff, the software I got with my cable was not compatible with the 5.02 update. Pkathee helped a ton, a couple hours later I had a fresh install of INPA.
2. The dealership and the INDY shop I went to knew nothing about getting my battery registered correctly. I also had 46 error codes stored in the memory and they never went back after fixing the problem and cleared the codes.

The second, I mean when Pkathee pushed the register battery button my max AC turned on. I now have a final stage resistor my Indy shop told me to get as a new desk weight.

Thank you everyone that chimed into this thread, it would have taken me weeks to get this ironed out.

pkathee
06-24-2012, 10:55 PM
1. Pkathee knows his stuff, the software I got with my cable was not compatible with the 5.02 update. Pkathee helped a ton, a couple hours later I had a fresh install of INPA.
2. The dealership and the INDY shop I went to knew nothing about getting my battery registered correctly. I also had 46 error codes stored in the memory and they never went back after fixing the problem and cleared the codes.

The second, I mean when Pkathee pushed the register battery button my max AC turned on. I now have a final stage resistor my Indy shop told me to get as a new desk weight.

Thank you everyone that chimed into this thread, it would have taken me weeks to get this ironed out.

Thanks. I am happy to help. :)

Glad everything worked out for you too. :thumbup: