PDA

View Full Version : modules dont go to sleep and drain my battery !!

Bangsi
06-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Hey guys, had this problem for a while now, its when i switch my car off for long period of time ie: at night, than next morning i try starting the car but it doesnt coz battery is dead........
So what happens is when i switch off my car some modules dont go to sleep and are active/awake & they drain the battery hence battery dies, i took it to BMW dealer, to other workshops, every claims something but none of it was right .....some say its the ac, some say its the CD player etc....etc..etc... they tried em all, i tried em & still nothing good.
I however found a shortcut, even tho its not the best & cant keep doing this forever, but it works..... for now. What i do is i just unplug the 2 main power supplies in the fuse box, if you are thinking about " does he do it every time and everywhere ? " YES i do it every time and everywhere.....its starting to get on my nerves already !

So i thought id write it here and see if anyone else had/has this issue and if they were able to solve it ?!

would really appreciate everyone's assistance on this one,
thnx.

EDIT:::: forot to post, that i changed my alternator, bought a new one, changed my battery & after a month it died.

stuartjohn24
06-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Hey guys, had this problem for a while now, its when i switch my car off for long period of time ie: at night, than next morning i try starting the car but it doesnt coz battery is dead........
So what happens is when i switch off my car some modules dont go to sleep and are active/awake & they drain the battery hence battery dies, i took it to BMW dealer, to other workshops, every claims something but none of it was right .....some say its the ac, some say its the CD player etc....etc..etc... they tried em all, i tried em & still nothing good.
I however found a shortcut, even tho its not the best & cant keep doing this forever, but it works..... for now. What i do is i just unplug the 2 main power supplies in the fuse box, if you are thinking about " does he do it every time and everywhere ? " YES i do it every time and everywhere.....its starting to get on my nerves already !

So i thought id write it here and see if anyone else had/has this issue and if they were able to solve it ?!

would really appreciate everyone's assistance on this one,
thnx.

EDIT:::: forot to post, that i changed my alternator, bought a new one, changed my battery & after a month it died.

Sorry to hear your having these issues!

I have a similar problem intermittently, A few things to check first, when you had the battery replaced was the battery replacement registered in the power module? When yu park the car up and lock it, does the illumination on the seat controls stay on for longer than 16 mins?

Using INPA I have concluded its my NAV unit keeping the car awake, the NAV has an error logged saying its power has been cut off unexpectedly, I.E. after the power module had commanded the units in the MOST ring to go into sleep mode, the Power modules also loggs the fault that the closed current monitoring is too high so it cut the power. I assume you have a similar problem, I am suprised the dealer was unable to diagnose the faulty module.
Saying that, the power module 'learns' the battery state of charge and decides how to charge the battery, it also shuts down modules if it 'thinks' the battery is getting low basically so you are able to start the car in the morning. Thats why I asked if you had registered the battery because theoretically the PM should not let the new battery discharge that quickly.

Stuart

Bangsi
06-26-2012, 02:14 AM
i've seen alot of people suggest using INPA, so i think ill order the DCAN cable & use INPA and diagnose my car & see whats wrong with it !

thnx :))))

Khabar
06-26-2012, 10:28 AM
there is switch in trunk above the fuse box, it should put you car is sleep mode. It used than u park for long period of time. Try may work for you. It is not a solution of the problem.

Bangsi
06-26-2012, 12:24 PM
hmmmmmmmm switch ? interesting, never can around a switch there, what i do is just disconnect both the power supply cables, but ill check for a switch & try, thnx.

SOUTHERNCOMFORT
06-26-2012, 12:49 PM
I would try the switch in trunk.

bigugly fab
06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Thats a poor way to solve the issue. E65s are "fun" to diagnose for sleep issues, and from what you say sounds like you have a very heavy draw. The vehicle needs to be set up for a parasitic draw check. It has to be checked via flow charts to see what bus is keeping the vehicle awake. It can be a very tedious task, that takes a few hours to find at a minimum. While INPA is neat, it doesn't give you test plans, only fault codes which can be very misleading. I use a 5,000 dollar flight recorder for the battery that records the vehicle to help me diagnose these. It has proven to be very successfull, but is something that most people cannot do efficiently. Find a good independent that knows E65s inside and out.

Blackbox760
06-26-2012, 01:25 PM
It is not that difficult to get to the guilty party although it takes some test equipment and lots of time. 9 out of 10 it is one of the door modules/handles that goes bad. I would recommend pulling the door fuses one by one and see if you get the typical power shut down symptom.

When you switch off the car and lock the doors the power unit monitor the battery consumption, if the power unit see that there is too much current consumption it will shut down all the modules in the car to prevent complete battery drain. I do not know if your car have comfort access but the easiest way to see if your power module went in safety mode is to lock the car and approach the car after two hours or so, if you can not wake the car into unlocking it is a good indicator that the power unit has shut down. If you do not have comfort access you can also recognise the power module shut down by the fact that the CD player reloads all the CD's and "forgot" the last track played. This is just two quick tests to try and determine if the power unit did its work.

Another way of checking if the car went into sleep mode is to open the trunk lid, manually activate the trunk lock into simulating a close trunk and then monitor the DVD, NAV players, if the DVD, NAV player does not shut down after maximum ten minutes it is a good indicator as well that something is not working the way it should. Just a side note, if you are doing any fault finding on the battery circuit you must fool the trunk lock into thinking that it is close otherwise the car will not attempt to enter sleep mode immediately.

Now do the same tests with the fuses removed, I suggest pulling all four the door fuses and test for shut down after two or more hours, of course when you start the fault finding it is good practise to have the battery fully charge otherwise you may chase around your own tail because a weak or under charged battery will give false symptoms.

If you have access to an oscilloscope with a current clamp meter you can try and find the fault this way, it is very useful to see the current drop after ten minutes as described in the WDS descriptions.

rusty196500
07-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Sorry to hear your having these issues!

I have a similar problem intermittently, A few things to check first, when you had the battery replaced was the battery replacement registered in the power module? When yu park the car up and lock it, does the illumination on the seat controls stay on for longer than 16 mins?

Using INPA I have concluded its my NAV unit keeping the car awake, the NAV has an error logged saying its power has been cut off unexpectedly, I.E. after the power module had commanded the units in the MOST ring to go into sleep mode, the Power modules also loggs the fault that the closed current monitoring is too high so it cut the power. I assume you have a similar problem, I am suprised the dealer was unable to diagnose the faulty module.
Saying that, the power module 'learns' the battery state of charge and decides how to charge the battery, it also shuts down modules if it 'thinks' the battery is getting low basically so you are able to start the car in the morning. Thats why I asked if you had registered the battery because theoretically the PM should not let the new battery discharge that quickly.

Stuart

hi there
can i use inpa for similar issue on e38 740 as i have replaced standard phone with factory bluetooth which works great but overnight emptys my battery unless i pull the fuse for the phone (fuse 70) in boot. original phone also worked perfectly with no drain issues. any thoughts thanks

bigugly fab
07-01-2012, 03:59 PM
hi there
can i use inpa for similar issue on e38 740 as i have replaced standard phone with factory bluetooth which works great but overnight emptys my battery unless i pull the fuse for the phone (fuse 70) in boot. original phone also worked perfectly with no drain issues. any thoughts thanks

Yes, start a thread about an e38 issue, not in an e65 thread...... for that topic :rolleyes: