PDA

View Full Version : 745i hood

robinearle
06-23-2012, 03:49 PM
I am struggling, my hood on my 745i will not open. Is there an emergency latch somewhere that will unlock the hood?:cry:

stuartjohn24
06-23-2012, 04:03 PM
I am struggling, my hood on my 745i will not open. Is there an emergency latch somewhere that will unlock the hood?:cry:

Not sure, same happened on my E46, I had to pull the kidney grilles out and cut the bonnet pins with a hacksaw! The design is different on the E65/E66.

Has the cable snapped or is something jammed?

robinearle
06-23-2012, 04:15 PM

I think the cable must of snapped, thats the way it feels as the lever under the dash just kind of swings back.

stuartjohn24
06-23-2012, 04:20 PM
I think the cable must of snapped, thats the way it feels as the lever under the dash just kind of swings back.

I guess the only way in is through the kidney grill aperture, to remove anything else the bonnet needs to be open in the first place. I think you may be able to get to the bottom of the latch mechanism this way, unless the cable is accessible elsewhere, remove the wheel arch liner to see if you can reach the cable, im not 100% sure where it routes but I think its on the top of the wing, there is a coupler I imagine its broken there.

mikewerks
06-23-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't think you're the first one with this issue. Try using the search function as I'm sure I saw a post with a solution some time ago.

Keif
06-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Look through DIYs of mine on this, you should get all the answers you are looking for, as well as pictures and videos. Since you have a 745, you should be able to go in through the wheel well / corner splash guard if the cable at the handle looks ok.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App